Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR BuffaloAl’s Recovery Thread

OP
OP
B

BuffaloAl

Country
United States United States
Thanks for the shout out Layla. I’m doing ok. This past week, my wife and kids went on vacation to Mexico, so I had to fend for myself. It was exhausting.

My hip feels great. My biggest issue is still the knee being real stiff and the IT band. Also, now the incision area is aching, so laying on that side is uncomfortable.

It will be 5 weeks tomorrow, so I was hoping I would be moving around better, but still utilizing cane.

Good news is I have 8 - 12 weeks of leave from work, so I can continue to rest up.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
HI @BuffaloAl You are getting along pretty well with your recovery, congratulations!

At 5 weeks, many of us had that surprisingly sore knee and very tight IT Band. It is frustrating to hear, but I have to say that it does improve with time. Time, patience and pacing yourself.

That is great about having a good bit of time off from work, that will be a huge help to your recovery too!

At 5 weeks I was still using my ice packs like crazy, especially on the days when I could get out and walk. Or even when I was active in the house, doing household stuff. Oh and I was leaning on my cane up through my 8th week post op. You sound right on schedule..

Have a great start to your week. Now you will be headed for week 6! :thumb:

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
My biggest issue is still the knee being real stiff and the IT band. Also, now the incision area is aching, so laying on that side is uncomfortable.
I am newer to hip surgery than you, but I found relying on the walker longer, has helped me to move much faster, and put more even pressure on the operated hip, knee and leg in general. Enough to the point I am starting to feel more comfortable taking a few steps without the walker or the cane.

I keep my cane on my walker, for use in small places. My knee has started to feel better and more flexible. I hope soon yours will, too.

If my knee starts to bother me a bit, I still ice it and elevate it for a while. I still ice the hip, when needed, and that helps with the aching. Sometimes I use a pillow to help keep the ice up against my hip better.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey @BuffaloAl :wave:
How are you doing these days? I hope your knee and IT band issues have improved. Give us a shout and let us know how you’re doing when you have time.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and you continue to enjoy steady progress.
Take care, be safe and stay well.
@BuffaloAl

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
elosasso