BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

BTKR scheduled for April 7th. Question about rehab.

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by amydmvp, Feb 16, 2017.

1. amydmvp

amydmvp

United States United States
    Hello Everyone,

I am having btkr on April 7th. I am 54 years old. I am wondering if I will have to go to short term rehab because of two knees being done. If anyone has had bilateral simultaneous knee replacement surgery, have you gone home right from the hospital, or did you go to rehab, and if so, for how long?

2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello amydmvp, welcome to BoneSmart.

I'd say to stay in hospital/recovery as long as possible. It's boring but 100% of your needs are met, which won't be the case when you go home I'm sure.

Read my recovery (link from the sig below) for a BTKR story.

3. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

We've had a few BTKRs that have gone home as well as others who've gone you rehab. If you go the rehab route make sure it's a facility that regularly treats replacements. I was fortunate to be moved to a transition unit within my hospital. With a BTKR you'll need some help at home for the first week or so if you're going straight home.

4. gazelle7777

gazelle7777

@amydmvp Yes, I went right home and even climbed two flights of stairs. Painful? A bit... but you just DO IT. Nothing was going to keep me from getting to my own bed! You just have to be strong. I would recommend that you have person home with you for the first day or two. They can get you ice, and just help out if you need anything. And to drive you to Physical therapy...for the first month or so while on pain meds.

I did just fine. I fixed my own meals from day one home and got about fine without help. In fact first thing I did when I got home the first day was make me some hot chocolate with coffee in it! Used my walker for the first week getting about the house... then went right to my crutches and then the cane.

I think people worry that they will be an invalid after such a surgery, but, I found just the opposite. I was more of an invalid BEFORE surgery than after. It is really just an inconvenience the convalescing... you just have to hang in there while the body heals.

5. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

If your plan is to go home you may want to get a basket to attach to your walker. We bought one with a flat bottom for my dad after his THR so he could carry things around the house. The dollar store had them and we attached it with zip ties. Also cooking a few meals ahead and freezing is a good idea no matter what you do. It's a while before you'll feel up to standing for any length of time to put a meal together.

6. amydmvp

amydmvp

Thanks to all for your replies. I'm just trying to get a sense of what to expect. I suppose it will depend on how my surgery goes and how I do in the hospital.

7. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Ask your surgeon what his/her patients usually do.

IF you are going to go to rehab, check out teh place first. Some are good and some are not so good.
    You do need a rehab unit that is geared towards recovery from orthopaedic surgery, not one tha is more like a rest home.

Some rehab units insist on excessive exercise - two long sessions per day. You don't want that either, because your knee will mostly need gentle treatment and just a few exercises. IF you strike one of thos places, you do have the right to refuse to attend all the exercise sessions. Rehab should be geared towards helping you to perform your activities of daily living - and when you can do those, go home.

If you can, talk to the patients in the rehab unit and ask what they think of it.

8. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Forgive me for being picky but here we regard a bilateral as being simultaneous!

I would suggest that you go into the recovery forum and find a thread with this prefix Bilateral TKR.JPG . Click on the prefix and you will get a list of all the other threads with that same prefix. Then you can read about other peoples' recoveries which I am sure you will find very informative!

Also, here's some other information which you might fin helpful and/interesting!
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

9. Want2hike

Want2hike

Did you discuss options with your surgeon and also find out what your insurance will cover? When my surgeon and I discussed bilateral, he informed me that my insurance would only send me to a nursing home, rather than an orthopedic rehab center. He was against sending patients to a nursing home, as it wasn't specialized care and he felt there was too great of a risk of infection. Part of him agreeing to performing a bilateral was my agreeing to go home (and ideally have help for the first couple of days), so he could discharge me from the hospital to home.

I was in the hospital for 3 nights, then discharged to home on day 4. My mom came to help for the first week, although she really only needed to be there the first few days so my husband could still work and take care of all the kid duties.

10. DebM

DebM

Australia Australia
    I had a BTKR 4 weeks ago. The hospital had a dedicated rehab ward which was predominantly for knee and hip replacements. I was in hospital a total of 2 weeks. I am so glad I did because it took a while to get my pain under control. I had pt twice a day which was really just gentle movement and ambulation.

11. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Like DebM I was moved just down the hall to hospital's transition unit where they routinely cared for surgical patients. I never had a problem with pain management while I was there and the PT consisted of stretches and heel slides. Even with a single RTKR I was in the hospital for 11 days as my OS and my family thought it would be difficult for me to get up the 13 steps to the main floor of my ranch home. I did practice steps while in the hospital.

12. Grayson04

Grayson04

This was one of my biggest questions too, so I asked a lot of opinions. Many people said home was better to avoid more risk of infection. Also going home, you are free to move about on your own without having to call techs to assist, etc.
    PT was coming to my house anyhow so I got the information and worked at my own pace. You do need help with ice and keeping track of pain meds. I wasn't clear enough to know what I needed and what doses.
    And then after all the questioning, insurance wasn't going to pay for it anyhow, unless I met a list of requirements. I was perfectly fine and more comfortable at home

13. tjcteacher

tjcteacher

I planned on going to rehab but my insurance bulked at it because I did so well in the hospital. I ended up going home and I don't regret it.