Bilateral TKR Bilateral Knee Replacement-Ups and Downs

All the best today @Taoquest ! I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:prayer: Prayers for a successful surgery. See you on the other side!

I am staying overnight, with my discharge planned for some time today. Before my operation, I received an epidural with little pain and was wheeled into the operational room. There were about 8 people walking around looking busy. I slid over to the table and was hooked up to various machines. I was given oxygen, and told to count to ten.
I woke up in the recovery room and my surgeon later came by and told me all went well. I was then wheeled to my room, The pain has been fairly controlled by medication, but my biggest problem is nausea. The physical therapist came by later in the day, and I used the Walker to get out of bed and go to the bathroom. I then sat in the recliner nearby, and that is where I have been ever since, with a pillow under my legs.
6108090D-1A23-49F9-81A0-2E632FA9D1C7.jpeg

Glad to hear from you. Nausea is what kept me overnight as I was supposed to go home after surgery. Be sure to ask them for something to help with it and have some at home.

Taoquest, congratulations on your new knees! Yes, ask for something for the nausea and make sure you get a prescription to take while at home. Keep us posted as to your progress. Remember it’s a long, up and down recovery, but you are not alone.

Thanks. I was given an 8 hour nausea pill and still threw up 3 hours later. ☹️ Of course I was on a liquid diet and that didn’t help. I have asked to get my pain pills with breakfast, so we’ll see.

Work with staff to get that nausea managed as well as your pain controlled. Please don't feel rushed about leaving the hospital. It's important to get everything managed before discharge so that you can relax at home.

Since my pain is only a 5 I have requested Vicodin since I have had no nausea after teeth root canals.
Hopefully I can use the OxyContin already at home if it gets real bad.

Congratulations on your new knees~!

Fortunately I don't have nausea issues with medication by my wife does. They can be a real bummer! If you are only at a 5 pain level wise, it could be because of all of medications they use to manage the pain post op. I found it took a few days to a week before I felt normal again but I also didn't take the Oxy on a regimen and used it for breakthrough pain. I used Tramadol on a regimen though as prescribed.

I found that the pain was only kind of bad when I got up, otherwise at rest it was tolerable.

Rest and take it easy!

Good point on waiting a few days. I was discharged late this afternoon, right into rush hour Friday traffic and a 10 mile backup on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. My pain meds wore off of course, and my prescribed meds were at home. My right knee was OK, but boy my left knee was putting me in agony. We bought a bag of ice and it slightly helped. I was horizontal in the back seat with my knees up on pillows. Got out of the car and used my walker to get in the house. I’m now hooked up to my ice machines and compression pads to prevent DVT. A visiting nurse comes by tomorrow so we’ll see how I am doing.

Glad you made it home even with the huge traffic issue.

Seems to me the ride home from the hospital is one of the major challenges for almost everyone! Now that you are home, you can rest, ice, elevate and medicate and things will progress day by day. Just take it slow. You have a long journey ahead. We are here for you.

My visiting nurse came by today, and took my outer bandages off, and I have a cold blister on my right knee in spite of all the covering it had. We’ll keep an eye on it, and now I have a towel between my skin and the cold sleeve.The expected bruises are showing up, and my trips to the bathroom are good exercise. My legs feel like dead weight. I am sleeping a lot and an alarm rings on my iPad when I have to take a pill. At ten pm I inject Lovenox into my side (doesn’t hurt),to prevent blood clots. I am hoping my shivering goes away. I think it’s normal. My sister is taking good care of me, and neighbors are visiting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts