Lounge Doctor

BTKR Nov 2

Indigo_Bunting

Country
United States United States
Hi there,

I’m scheduled for BTKR (press fit) on Nov. 2 at New England Baptist in Boston. Scheduled to stay over 1 night. I’m F57, never had surgery, generally healthy and stay active by biking. The surgeon mentioned that I have significant stiffness on one side (R) that will require major commitment to rehab. The L is typically more painful but the R is always more weak and wobbly.

One of my major concerns is contact allergies. I have several that come into play here: an acrylate allergy, hence the press fit, plus rubber accelerators and adhesives, which will probably make wound closure and care a challenge. These are type 4 allergies that will not kill me, but they do compromise the skin barrier with sustained contact and increase the risk of infection. Would appreciate reassurance from anyone with similar contact allergies who has been through this.

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
:welome: to BoneSmart
and stay active by biking
You should be able to do that post BTKR
I have significant stiffness on one side (R) that will require major commitment to rehab. The L is typically more painful but the R is always more weak and wobbly.
'Major commitment' does NOT mean hurting yourself; it means using brain power and physiotherapy to work out the correct stretching programme.

You will be able to strengthen both legs once surgical recovery is well under way, or finished.

I had to learn to pedal all over again, because my bow legs had been straightened. You may have to as well

OP
OP
I

Indigo_Bunting

Country
Thanks! I have bow legs too, interesting point. Looking forward to walking and all the activities that have been on hold due to pain.

Jockette

Country
'Major commitment' does NOT mean hurting yourself; it means using brain power and physiotherapy to work out the correct stretching programme.
I agree with Roy, go easy on the rehab. We have found in this recovery, “less is more.” Painful exercises do not promote healing. Early on you’ll need gentle exercises for mobility, but nothing that increases pain and swelling.

Spend some time reading recovery threads so you get a good picture with realistic expectations.

Best Wishes!

OP
OP
I

Indigo_Bunting

Country
Thanks, Jaspa. I’ve been reading for a few months and have started saving comments with rehab info that makes sense to me.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
I have very sensitive skin and am prone to several contact allergies, however I forgot to mention this at the pre-surgery consultation, Needless to say the plaster they used on the epidural nerve block gave me an enormous rash as did the plaster on my knee, fortunately I detected this early on and they switched to a different type and put me on a dose of antihistamines and it cleared up within days.
So do mention this to them prior to your surgery as they can be prepared for this.
The doctor for my right knee will be better prepared this time as the itch from the 1st plaster was quite :flabber:

OP
OP
I

Indigo_Bunting

Country
Thanks, Sara61. I will bring all the allergy info to the pre-op meeting. I keep reading here about steri strips and dermabond - neither safe for me.

Claire56

Country
I brought up a suspected allergy to nickel which my surgeon took seriously. Make a list of everything you can think of to talk to the surgeon about. The hospital we use has a patient portal that gets used to communicate between patient and medical personnel. There is a lot of information on it including what allergies you have reported. If you have something like that, take advantage of it

OP
OP
I

Indigo_Bunting

Country
Thank you - good idea to ask them directly. I’m signed up to receive preop and post op emails and they do say I can ask questions through that route.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Have you discussed this issue with your surgeon? That's the best place to start. Doctors and hospitals deal with these types of allergic reactions frequently and I'm sure there will be options for you. But....it's always good to make this known with every single person you come in contact with - doctors, nurses, pharmacists....everyone. Every surgeon and hospital will have their own unique protocols to provide what you need. There are plenty of alternatives for wound closure and care after surgery when a patient has allergies.

I suggest you read our BoneSmart section on Wound Care. You'll find a link in the blue tool bar at the top of the page under POSTOP CARE. This will give you some general information to get you started. As you go along, we'll be happy to address specific questions about products or procedures if you have them.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
right TKR 2 Mo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom