BTKR next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoflojo

Country
United States United States
I wil be having my BTKA next Thursday. Just found this forum. It looks like it should be a good source of info and moral support during the process!

It is the best site ane so much support and information. Welcome. One of the moderators will be around soon to give more information but any questions you have, just ask and someone will answer you or just give support during this period of preparing and then recovery.

Thank you! My story, briefly, is that I was in the Marines and ran daily for many years. I have known for several years that I would eventually need this. Just had to get fed up with my increasing immobility. I am NOT a couch potato!

Good luck mojoflojo - I am 7 weeks post BTKR and getting better every day. Read the info here and plan to take it slow and easy for the first several weeks. Many of us have had to work on our patience in those first weeks.
Stacie

Well, my friend, you aregoing to have to learn to be a couch potato for the next few weeks if you want to get through this surgery with your flags flying! And I implore you to forget anything anyone has told you or that you have read about knee recovery being all about hard work, fighting through the pain and "no pain, no gain" notion. That's not the best way to get progress.

Here's some articles for you to read which will explain all. And the very best of luck with your surgery!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Welcome to the forum! I am glad that yo have found us!

I had a BTKR goig on six years ago. If you are going to need both of them done, I would recommend the BTKR route---I believe that what you are doing is the best action to take; one pre-op, one surgery, one hospital stay, one recovery, and now aiting for one knee to heal and to recover and then going back under again to get the other one done.

REcovery can be a bit more challenging, as you do not have a "good knee", but it is certainly do-able and it is certainy worth it!

Take a good look at thsoe article that have been sent your way---they are full of great information and will help educate you and inform you as to what will go on and to what to expect.

Please keep coming back and ask any question or pose any concern that yo may have---you will get straight answers here and we will be here to help you through every step of the process!

Thanks so much you all! I believe I may have been misinformed with horror stories about therapists making their patients scream for mercy, etc. I think I can handle chillin' for a few weeks! I will read all the above articles while I practice......

Welcome Mojo! You will be getting your Mojo on in a totally different way. :heehee:

you aregoing to have to learn to be a couch potato for the next few weeks

lol That's what I was thinking. Hope you don't have a bad case of ADHTripleD like me :bicycle2:, because you're gonna have to go from this :happydance:to this :thud: and learn to love it. Seriously, if you follow Bonesmart's mantra, listen to your body, you'll heal faster than trying to force your body back to health. Trust me, this is a journey and all that in 6 weeks you'll be able to do this... and @ 3 months this AND that, will be discouraging if it doesn't happen.

Dr's are a trip (I love mine though) they'll give you those time-frames and when you past it and still don't feel back to normal they'll say. "Oh it's still early in your recovery." lol Okay, thank you for sharing that 3 months later, :hissy: after I beat myself up to meet the progress deadline. :gaah:

I bet you are excited about getting your life back. I just had my other knee done 2 days ago, and how wonderful my spirit feels now knowing I'm finally gonna get my life back! Yay! :yay: My leg on the other hand HURTS and I know I gotta turn it back down a little now, to rev it up later. :dancy:

I'll be rooting for you and if during your recovery you need comic relief, I'm your girl. :egypdance: In fact we've got several Kneecomedians on here. :rotfl: You'll meet us on here sipping cyber cocktails :martini: having pity parties :cry:and making lemonade w/our lemons. You have come to the right place! :friends:

WELCOME... 6 more days :flwrysmile:

I believe I may have been misinformed with horror stories about therapists making their patients scream for mercy, etc

Unfortunately, there are those PT's who want to get you back and up and running ASAP, which does not work. This is not an athletic injury, so taking the gentle route is a "must.
What is also a "must" is that the you realize the the PT works for you, not the other way around. You set the parameters of what you will do and what you will not do---what is acceptable and what is not. If your PT does not like this or still tries to push you, you fire him and find another PT.

Recovery is not a case of working harder; it is, howver, a case of working smarter. It takes time a patience to get through recovery,and if you try to work your knee too hard, to fast, you will put the speed brakes on recovery. Just simply be gentle and be patient, and you will have progress!

Yup. It's not training, it's healing. Don't allow any PT to hurt you, and don't hurt yourself. See the Mantras in Josephine's post, they are what we know in a nutshell.

I had BTKR June 4th. I am now walking an hour each day where for over 10 years I could barely walk to the mailbox! It was the best decision I have ever made. I feel and act like a new person! You will not regret it. Every ounce of discomfort is all worth it in the final results... I am not even fully healed yet.:spin: and I am totally out of pain only taking an occational tylenol here or there actually for my back... not my knees! LOL!

My big day is finally upon me - tomorrow! My knees had been feeling uncharacteristically good lately, giving me second thoughts. But then last night, they sang me an operatic duet and kept me up for most of the night. And today, climbing upstairs for the first time in ages, I had to literally drag myself up the railing hand-over-hand huffing all the way up. I guess it's not a moment too soon after all! Soooo.....thank you guys for the positive thoughts, moral support and overall terrific vibe - and I'll see y'all on the other side!

Yep, that sounds about right. First they try and trick ya, then they let you have it! :groan:

I know you will be so glad to be on the recovery side... See you there! :friends:

Good luck to you mojo! Glad you have found us. There is much wisdom and experience on this site! You have found the right place! The folks here will support you and help you through. I had bilateral partials 3 1/2 weeks ago and am doing great!....being a couch potato for a few weeks is not at all bad, I'm quite enjoying it to tell the truth. It is a small price to pay for new strong straight legs! Go well today, and i will look forwardyto catching up with yu on the other side! :thumb:

Yay! I made it! My OS got both knees done in approx. 3.5 hrs. He tells me I had "windswept" knees - walked cockeyed inclined to the left, and he straightened 'em. Sure is hard typing on top of a CPM! pain is minimal so far but I have femoral nerve blocks. And no PT until tomorrow! Guess these guys are onto the no pain more gain thing. Gonna try to sleep now. Thanx for you support!!!! -FLO-

Hey mojoflojo welcome to the other side - glad your pain is well controlled. Make sure you keep it that way once the heavy duty meds wear off :) Take it easy and feel free to ask any questions - I'm 8 weeks ahead so glad to share my "wisdom" - probably more like hind sight after over doing it!!
Talk to you soon,
Stacie

Great that your done and they want to keep you pain free :). Wishing you the best for the rest of your recovery.

Great news! Get plenty of rest, hope all continues well, and I shall look forward to following your progress! :ok:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties