Bilateral TKR BTKR 28th May 2019 - post op journal

Hi.

Thanks for reply.

It sures goes through the ice.... 1 whole bag for 60 mins... how woukd you keep it going for 24hrs ?

You're using an ice machine? If so, freeze some water bottles or water in small butter tubs to use instead of bagged ice. They will last longer and be a whole lot cheaper than buying ice.

So sorry for all the problems you've had. But you're on your way now to that great recovery. You'll be amazed the difference a couple of weeks will make. Hang in there!

@Jamie

Thanks for that. Yes I thought small blocks would last longer. Plus silly me I was using tap water but now out of fridge.

Possibly the worst part to date pain wise is upper right quads very very sore.

That soreness is likely from the tourniquets that were used during surgery and it should get better in a week or so.

Noooooo a week

:rotfl:

Is it ok to massage the muscle?

@Atlas_aus yes that thigh pain is nasty, both my upper thighs were exquisitely tender for 1-2eeeks. Too sore for me to massage, that's for sure! Just hang in there

HEAT ?

All talk is generally ice related...

But want to touch base.

In past years if my muscles were sore I would use heat packs and that seems to work well.

As my quads are so sore besides some soft massage with tiger balm and icing it. But the ice seems to make it feel even more sore.

Is heat an option ?

If you attempt some heat on your thigh, I would keep the temperature very low and keep the heat source well away from your knee. Heat too close to your knee will make it swell more and you sure don’t want that!

If you do any massage, keep that really gentle. Your leg has been through a lot and it’s very upset.

My personal opinion is that the soreness from the tourniquet is a different soreness than from overusing the quad. You didn’t overuse it, you had something tight on it for a period of time.

Keep things as gentle as possible. Just move your knee gently for the sake of mobility.

If ice anywhere is uncomfortable try something cool rather than ice cold. Keep experimenting to find what helps.

@Jockette

Sounds reasonable :loll:

Yes still sorting out my Game Ready.... The pressure side amount "2" seems too light, yet "3" is way too much !

It's certainly easier than the ice packs, but for the price should be.

Howdy all,

Try as I might I cant find the thread I started for post op. There is one for game ready but i started one for a daily update.

Here is how you find your thread:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-can-i-find-my-threads-and-posts.14732/

Members in the Recovery Forum are only allowed one thread. You started another thread named Game Ready, and when the threads were merged together, the title was kept Game Ready. So that is your current Recovery Thread.

If you would like a different title just let us know and we’ll change it for you.

@Atlas_aus
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

@Pumpkln

Ahh I see it now :loll:

Could you change the title to

BTKR 28th May 2019 - post op journal

9 Day Post Op

Howdy all,

It's been a while since I wrote something, the brain is keen, but the body just wants a holiday !

I must say other than the catheter debacle I am really happy at where I find myself. Perhaps all the research and learning form this site has helped a lot....

There is no doubt the reclining chair and game ready has been a godsend. Although being winter here I get really cold quickly to the chattering teeth point ! Also I also suggest strongly you get an eye mask and ear plugs, it really does make a difference in hospital. Mind you I have been wearing ear plugs at home for as long as I can remember, it really helps to have a great nights sleep.

The first couple of nights I started on the bed but was not there too long before moving to the chair. Being a side sleeper I just could not find a comfortable position. Last night, day 8 I slept the whole night on the bed, on my side. My upper legs which ave been the sorest part have slowly become better.

Sleep is back to normal, with the help of the pills I suspect and I take a sleeping a pill normally. Nearly 10 hrs racked up last night, about the only good reason for the catheter I don't have to get up ! In my retirement 9-10 hrs sleep is usual for me.

I am getting around ok with the help of crutches not sure when the appropriate time is to get rid of them.

The only other problem has been "cement" mouth.... I have never had it before and I am sure it is to do with the tablets I am taking.... After a nights sleep I can hardly open my mouth.. Have to pre wet it, really bizarre !

Only early days, but I am very happy with where I am at.

I am resting, icing & elevating and moving around the house, nothing too strenuous and will keep going this way until catheter removal and see where I am at then. I have no OT scheduled as this point and will probably not go down that path until I can drive again, if at all.

To all of you that have contributed to this site, help maintain it I say a big thank you.

For those that have commented personally I really appreciate it, nothing better than being able to talk with like minded people going on similar journeys.

Take care everyone.

Last edited:
Use your crutches as long as you want, it’s your decision. They are a tool to help keep you safe and give you confidence.

I started out with a walker (I can’t imagine using crutches :yikes:) for about 2 weeks, then used a cane. I don’t remember when I felt confident to stop using the cane at home, it was probably sooner than I should have, but it was annoying and a hassle when I needed 2 hands to do something, as it didn’t stand up by itself like the walker did.

I did use the cane when I went out, though, for several months. I just wasn’t confident walking without it unless I was home. At home I had surfaces to touch as I walked around and that was good for confidence.

The only other problem has been "cement" mouth.... I have never had it before and I am sure it is to do with the tablets I am taking.... After a nights sleep I can hardly open my mouth.. Have to pre wet it, really bizarre !
It's the pain medications that are making your mouth dry. During the daytime, I found that sucking barley sugars or other sorts of boiled sweets helped a lot.

@Jockette ,

Thanks for that. Crutches seemed the obvious choice.

Taking little steps without them I do lack confidence that's for sure

@Celle I have been having some werthers (made in USA) but doesn't help when i am sleeping

Good morning all.

What a difference time can make to the way we feel at any given moment...

Bragging should be banned from the forum, for no sooner had I written how good a nights sleep I had got the night before, last night could not have been more different, sadly.

There were contributing factors that lead to last nights lack of sleep.
  • Although I have a wonderful recliner I was missing the touch of my Wife whilst watching TV, so I sat on the lounge with her. All was fine until I tried to get back off the lounge....It took two attempts and my knees lwt me know how bad a choice I had just made. Icing, elevating and resting for the rest of the afternoon.

• My Wife suffers terribly from migraines and displays all the common symptoms, sharp headache, vision issues and vomiting.. And whilst trying to cope with this she is trying to take care of me.
My Daughter took us to an after hours doctors so we could get a script and this was my first real outing since the overhaul ! All was going well until in the exam room and the seats were a bit lower than I would have liked.... You guessed it a near copy cat of the mornings events whilst trying to get back on my feet, and yes it hurt.

I was feeling a lot worse than I had knee wise since the op. Did the usual, iced elevate and relax until it was time for bed. Unlike the previous night I could not get comfortable or even get close to it.... This went of for a couple of hours, I gave up and my Wife helped me camp for the night there, it worked.

Clearly I have to be a lot more careful or observant on where I park my carcass in future. My Daughter's car a Toyota RAV4 is just at the right height to get in and out of.

But other than this little setback all is going well. My knees are starting to get really itchy, I think that is a good sign as the healing process goes along. Staples are coming out next Tuesday and catheter next Wednesday. Hopefully that all goes well, I am very apprehensive after the catheter debacle last week.

Chat soon.

Oh yes, my knees winced when I read about the chair height! I noticed that higher chairs are scarce, my OS and PT waiting rooms have chairs that were too low to rise from without significant pain. My 6 doctor GP practice has ONE higher seat, and of course it is always occupied! Seriously, why is this? Such an easy thing to remedy.
It will be good to get the staples and catheter removed, progress.

I was missing the touch of my Wife whilst watching TV, so I sat on the lounge with her. All was fine until I tried to get back off the lounge.
Yes, 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone'...

Try this:

awww-roygardiner-com_images_knee04-jpg.40798

Not the ice machine (which was good, mind) but the books under the couch there to the right, 2 at each corner. Encyclopedia Britannica no less, no rubbish in my house.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom