Bilateral TKR BTKR 28th May 2019 - post op journal

Atlas_aus

Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

All was going good until today and coukd not urinate...2 nurses have tried..now waiting ED doctor...

This was my biggest fear...

It’s temporary, I had the same problem. Try to relax. My nurses had to use a quick, one time catheter at 4 am, less than 24 hours after my surgery. I was fine after that.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hope you feel better very soon.

@Atlas_aus How are you this morning? I hope you are sorted and comfortable now.

Isn't it funny how this surgery takes its toll on our bodies. My first surgery in December 2018 when I got home I couldn't relieve myself and when I could the stream was slow coming. My second surgery in March 2019 I couldn't hold my bladder in. For a week I was going uncontrollably all over the place. I was this close to purchasing adult diapers. I was fine in both cases after a week but boy that was some experience.

I hope you doing well today and your situation is all sorted out.

Hey all,

Not out of woods yet...about to have surgery so they scope me and put a catheter in properly.

I will have a bag for about 10 days whilst e everything heals down there...

Pain has been really bad today and staff can be slow in helping me...

Lets hope it improves...

Best of luck with today be good to get it all sorted. Hope they get your pain under control as well soon :thud:

I am fighting a losing battle with staff..won't let me raise...only ice sometimes.

Stay calm and just do what you can. You won't be there for ever and you'll be able to do what you like when you get home.

@Atlas_aus I do feel for you, you're having a rough start. It's hard when you have to struggle with staff. And one person does it this way, then the next does it differently! Try to let it go over your head, hard I know, when you are so vulnerable. Small things seem disastrous. Rest as much as you can.

@Atlas_aus ,
I'm so sorry things have not been easier for you! Hopefully, your bladder will start behaving soon! So sorry the staff has not been more attentive and sensitive to your needs. Soon you'll be home and can recover your new knees the way you see fit. Hang in there!
~Cynthia

@Atlas_aus
Sorry to hear that your road to recovery is getting off to a bumpy start. Hopefully, you will soon be home where you will be able to address your comfort needs better than your medical team appear to be addressing them!
Please know that your friends here at BoneSmart are keeping you in our thoughts. Take care.

Anna:flwrysmile:

When the nurses leave the room elevate your legs yourself. If they say anything about it when they come back then tell them they are your knees and you will do what you want to do. What are they going to do? Put you in jail or fire you? You are the boss and paying the bills, not the staff!

Oh, the power of the internet!

Hey all,

What a difference today has been. Clearly they got a good kick up the bum. They could have not been more helpful.

I have just read the icing article and as long as I have a barrier between the wrap and skin can I use it as much as I like ?

Thanks agian for the support.

@Atlas_aus
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

@Atlas_aus

Good to hear that things have finally taken a turn for the better for you.

It is amazing how motivating a swift kick in the butt can be!:wink:

Anna:flwrysmile:

@Atlas_aus One trick I use for the ice machine is to have 2 different thickness of towels. Use the thinner one when you want more cold. Switch to the thicker towel when it starts getting too cold. When your ice starts melting, switch back to the thinner towel to let the cold back in. I had my ice machine on 24 hours a day for the first 3 weeks. I did not have any adverse effects at all from keeping my knee cold. Good luck with your recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back