Bilateral THR Brushis's Recovery Thread

Are you icing and elevating. I iced pretty much non stop anytime I was sitting/reclining/lying down. It really helps. Also, I did not do much sitting but mainly in recliner and leaning back and then eventually in bed. For the first week my walking was mainly to bathroom and to get more ice if I was up, otherwise my husband gave me more ice. I even took gel packs to bed with me in a small cooler so I could exchange in the middle of the night without having to come downstairs. I love my ice.

Hi mo jo yes my follow up is 2/5 dr off called me yesterday and told me they called prescription for antibiotic for drainage. P/T come today and they will change bandages on day 7 per dr office instructed .That went well not in a super amount of pain today just swelled still . Getting around good with walker and use crutches for stairs.

The swelling is tough, are you doing any exercises? If I pushed too hard it would cause swelling immediately and the ice would help.

Last edited:
The selling is tough, are you doing any exercises? If I pushed too hard it would cause swelling immediately and the ice would help.

yes doing exercises and yes raise legs and ice helps .

Are you icing and elevating. I iced pretty much non stop anytime I was sitting/reclining/lying down. It really helps. Also, I did not do much sitting but mainly in recliner and leaning back and then eventually in bed. For the first week my walking was mainly to bathroom and to get more ice if I was up, otherwise my husband gave me more ice. I even took gel packs to bed with me in a small cooler so I could exchange in the middle of the night without having to come downstairs. I love my ice.
Yes I have two ice mans machines and elevating like 4 times a day . Will week 2 need ice and raise also .

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing any exercises this early might not help the swelling. As far as icing I use my ice machine almost every day and with my first THR I know I used it past 3 mos for relief if I over did it.

Recovery Thread bilateral
I had them done on 1/22 got out of hospital 1-24 got home sat was ok . Sunday woke up with some more swelling puffy ness on the outside of hip down to knee and calf’s puffed up. Called dr his office stated they called me in antibiotic and stated it takes time and will see 2/5 for follow up and remove staples .Other than swelling can get around pretty good . P/ t coming to my house tomorrow for the first session. Dr office stated by day 14 issues will turn around !

Day 9 update can walk without crutches and pretty steady . Still pain in outer thighs and knee’s and ankle’s still swollen still icing and elevate 3 times a day . Day 14 get staples out .There is 22 per side a little bigger than the dr explained from start.

Hello and Happy Friday @Brushis
Make sure you're icing and elevating for 45-60 minutes, no less, each session. And you can do it more than three times per day. I iced whenever I was sitting or laying down, even falling asleep with an ice pack overnight and routinely replacing it during a middle of the night trip to the bathroom.
You're doing well. I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

Question. My calf’s,ankle, feet all puffed up and swelled .I’m walking and came of crutches also .

Could you possibly be overdoing it? I know that sometimes the swelling will move around before moving on. Maybe try elevating, ice, ice and more ice! If that doesn't work you might want to check in with your OS and his support team.

There will be swelling at only nine days post op. Please try some dedicated icing for a few days as suggested above and hopefully you'll notice some improvement. At times overactivity as well as sitting too much can increase swelling. Please use the Activity Progression for THR as a rough gauge to keep your activity level within a healthy range in these early weeks.

Happy icing! :ice:
@Brushis

Hi, my friend. I know the Walker can make you feel like an old infirmed dude, but Seriously necessary.
You are Early, Early days, my friend.
Do you have a walker?
You should be down more than up.
Icing more than not.
Elevating more than vertical!

This is all temporary.:yes:

Your body will heal itself if you give it the time it needs to get over this trauma.
Please take everything slow and steady.
Healing vibes coming your way.

Yes I have a walker ! I have crutches , I ice 4 times a day with that being said I keep the ice man both on all night .

Im sorry if I sounded like I was hounding you...:unsure:
I don't think I could've managed crutches well my first weeks so I thought maybe you didn't have a walker which was easier for me. We are all different however, so good that you are able to manage them.
I'm glad you have an appointment in a few days to get those staples out and let the OS office check you out.
My thighs, quads, felt like they had been used for punching bags. Leg raises and the like are not necessary at this point and in fact may just be stressing things so Just Walking is best.
Hope today is a better day, my Both at Once friend.

Im sorry if I sounded like I was hounding you...:unsure:
I don't think I could've managed crutches well my first weeks so I thought maybe you didn't have a walker which was easier for me. We are all different however, so good that you are able to manage them.
I'm glad you have an appointment in a few days to get those staples out and let the OS office check you out.
My thighs, quads, felt like they had been used for punching bags. Leg raises and the like are not necessary at this point and in fact may just be stressing things so Just Walking is best.
Hope today is a better day, my Both at Once friend.
Mo Jo yes I have managed Crutches real well used walker for the first 7 days .I’m walking pretty good and steady and use crutches when needed.Yes my thighs feel the same on day 10 like they were punched and battered .My ankles looked like there both sprained though been soaking them in cold water buckets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi my double hippy pal. Hope the swelling is starting to resolve some, though not unusual to stick around.
Apparently they can get a bit "rough" with us during the hip replacement surgery, so knee and foot complaints aren't unusual. Not sure I need to know:flabber:
I want to leave you a how to on quoting as I have edited several of your posts that have been tucked into the quote and I am afraid your questions or responses wont be seen.

Hope you have a Happy Sunday.
Stay patient..all temporary.

Thank you mo jo ! Yes this is not easy and a lot of rehab to get back to normal. I know I’m getting a little impatient with this swelling but I will settle and do the right things so my body will adjust !

I really think you will find that Time will be the greatest healer.
It's very normal to question What is Normal and bilaterals have Double the Fun:nah:
But we are One and Done.
Keep the faith.
I'm sending all the Best Mojo your way for patience and rapid healing.:friends:

Actually it doesn't take much "rehab". What it takes is the patience to do little but rest, ice, elevate and walk. We have this idea that we have to exercise the muscles, instead we need to heal everything first.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scaredtodeath
Recent bookmarks