THR BruceH After THR Recovery

:hi: Good Morning!
I hope you're feeling much better on this special day, Bruce.
Breaking out the balloons, streamers and noise makers.
HAPPY ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY!
:happydance: :egypdance::happyfeet:
Feel better and have a good one!
@BruceH

Hi Bruce lovely to read you’re doing well , and able to get out driving I’ve also just started driving and I’m a few weeks a head of you it’s nice to get out , i work for my family business so I have popped into work a couple of times I’ve not really done very much , booked out work and answered the phone but each week I’m getting stronger and fitter , I’m mostly walking Unaided but I still carry a walking stick as I become tired after a while , I’ve started taking my dogs for a walk by where I live the track is safe I can let them off the lead as I also get the sad why aren’t you walking me look too ,that made me smile when you said your dogs did the same ,happy healing so glad we have a healing pain and not the pain we had before kind wishes k

Thanks for all the kind words.

I broke out the cane yesterday, using it a little bit. Today finds me not as sore but almost as stiff in comparison to yesterday. As luck would have it the rain started again so I'm destined to take it easy today.

If only I could learn to nap like my dogs do. I've never really taken naps and have only managed 2 since the surgery, I think I'm just not wired with a nap setting. I am wired with a get up at 3:30 setting from many years of having a job that started far too early in the morning.

My THR recovery just went non-linear. I feel like I've somehow taken a step backwards. I recovered from the Costco incident :) and have been careful not overdo it.

Sleep is becoming an issue. I was blessed with returning to a fairly normal sleep routine after surgery but lately I'm waking frequently and not being able to get back to sleep. Last night was one of those nights. I woke up for good at 1:40am.

Yesterday I was a little bit sore, today finds me more sore and fairly stiff on the operated side. I don't think I've overexerted myself. The only thing I can come up with is maybe I've done something in my sleep or I'm more tuned in to the THR. Maybe I will start taking celebrex again. I will go back to using the cane all the time for awhile. At least until I'm back to where I was.

Stepping back in terms of exercise and medication sounds like a good plan. I remember having sleep troubles late in my last recovery. I thought they might be related to weaning off of pain meds, which tend to induce sleep. It was annoying but temporary.

I'm sorry to hear about your current status @BruceH my sleep pattern also changed a week or so back where I would either struggle to go to sleep or would wake up after a couple of hours. I put it down to having my 'batteries' fully charged and not doing much so not needing as much sleep. I took melatonin for 3-4 days and got my sleep pattern back.

I also had a couple of days of more pain and thinking I was going backwards then I realised that the increased pain was due to me dropping my pain meds which started impacting me a day after I dropped them.

I hope yours turns out to be something easily rectified.

All the very best

Resuming Celebrex and taking it easier with cane sound like great ideas. It may be some weather changes - my hips are usually OK with weather but I know others can feel it in the hips. I also have to confess that last week when he had some major yuck coming our way I could feel more tightness and an ache in both hips. It went away.

@leejaa I agree with the weather theory. I have arthritis in my neck and pain flares for about a day during the transition from low to high or high to low pressure. We are currently going from a low to high and my neck hurts, it could be related.

It may sound crazy but you may be experiencing the after effects of Costco. I worked at burning huge brush piles left from when we logged. Didn't feel bad and even brought a chair to sit in to take breaks. The first week my hip was fine, just tightness in my calves and thighs. I gave it some time off and went back to it for 2 days. That was over a week ago and I'm still feeling the effects. So far weather doesn't seem to have any effect on my hips. It did before but doesn't seem to bother my metal hips.

I agree!

Barometric pressure went down to 28.85, super low for where I live, and no burning hips!

So far weather doesn't seem to have any effect on my hips. It did before but doesn't seem to bother my metal hips.

@BruceH I know everyone is different in how they respond to barometric changes. Both hips would hurt and with just one implant, neither hurts, after surgery with the deep low BP.

I use wunderground.com to see barometric changes in advance. They have a ten day chart with graph lines. If I took a 15 mg meloxicam the day before a big change, and then again on the low day, and I did not suffer the burning pain.

Hi Bruce,
I'm sorry you're feeling a bit stalled in your recovery. I think your idea of Celebrex and an assistive device are good ideas until you're feeling stronger and better rested. I'm sure it's just a phase that will soon pass. I know you're probably familiar with the simple diagram in regard to recovery below, but a reminder never hurts.
rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Also some do maintain they can feel barometric pressure changes.
When there is a change in the barometric pressure, the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface, it can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

In regard to sleep I've found Magnesium to be helpful.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you a peaceful week as you continue healing. :)
@BruceH

Hi @BruceH I just read your thread. I hope you're still icing and taking things at your own pace. Your recovery sounds fairly similar to the type I experienced after my first surgery back in June of 2019. There's something quite magical about icing the "Bonesmart" way versus what the P/T's advise. It's helping me. Hope you feel better soon.

Westy

Bruce today -> :climb:
Hopefully Bruce soon -> :dancy:

Sending wishes for a peaceful relaxing day of healing. You know that old saying "it's still early days." :yes:
Hope you're back to where you were soon! :wave:
@BruceH

Just like that I'm all done with the OS office unless something comes up.

I had the 6 week post op visit with the PA today. Everything is still where they put it according to the xray, incisions are healing well, no need for another follow up unless there is a problem.

I'm ok to mow the lawn, go to the driving range and hit partial shots as tolerated, lift things as tolerated, etc. In fact I was released to do just about anything as tolerated with a reminder to ease into activities and slowly progress activity level i.e. not overdo it. I was also told that it takes a good year or more to fully recover, just like the good people on BoneSmart have been saying all along :) :-) (:

The last few days I've started walking up and down hills on my neighborhood loops. I will try walking the big dog tomorrow, she's the most obedient of my two dogs.

It's been another great day with more to follow!

What an awesome update, Bruce!
It's so reassuring to hear all looks as it should and to receive permission to resume activity. May it only get better and better.
However, were not releasing you yet :heehee: at least we're hoping you'll stick around awhile so we can continue to cheer on your progress and celebrate milestones with you.
I hope you have a relaxing evening and great rest of the week!
@BruceH

Hello and congrats on your great follow up visit with the OS office. :loveshwr: It's just the best feeling, isn't it? Getting past the first 6 weeks seems like graduation of sorts..

Glad to hear that they believe in taking things slow and easy, too.

Which leads me to say that I hope you are careful when walking the hills in your neighborhood.. it could be a potential for developing some sore spots.. yes, I can be a worrywart.. :heehee:

I just noticed that we share stryker hips! May they last long and never let us down. :egypdance::egypdance:

Last edited:
I fell on my THR hip today. The dog decided to pull right when I was on a little bit of mud and down I went, landed right on the THR.

At present I'm a little more sore than I was before this happened. I don't think anything moved but I do have a deep pain that I haven't felt for a few weeks. A message has been sent to the PA about what, if anything to do next.

I'm wondering how this sort of thing is usually dealt with. My main concern is that I've messed something up.

Thanks,
Bruce

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties