THR BruceH After THR Recovery

This sounds encouraging...
My right hip and shoulder are higher than they were pre surgery. This is good because I had lost a little length on my leg.
:goodpost:
And so does...
I feel good. Every day I'm taking fewer meds, just about ready to be done with them. It only hurts when I walk and I have a great desire to work it all out.

This must be the point where people over do it. I feel good.

Yup right in the wheelhouse for the ODIC! :) :-) (: Go back to the THR activity progression and take it slow and easy. Things get better from where you are at fairly quickly if you let yourself heal, but get too active too soon and you'll set yourself back. Exercise your patience muscle!

I phased off of the codeine first by halving the dose, then starting to skip midday doses, but always still did the evening ones to help me get through the night. Kept up the paracetamol though for quite some time. Again, phased that down by halving the doses then started to skip midday ones. You'll get there! :thumb:

Two weeks! I drove today, it wasn't my best idea. I was able to drive just fine but my right hip operated side started to complain within a few miles. The reward was a mocha at the coffee stand. It felt good to get out on my own.

Log leg is still present but fading fast. I can fully lift the operated leg on it's own power but it requires more effort than the other leg. I'm still having random pops when I walk or move. I'm pretty certain they are tendons figuring out where they belong. I've been putting my own socks on without an assistive device for a few days now. It's not easy but it can be done.

I'm walking with a cane most of the time. Still icing. Swelling is going down but there is still plenty of it. Follow up with the Surgeon is in two days. So far so good, no real setbacks other than overdoing it a few times.

Release is usually done at your followup appointment so it's only a matter of days.

@BruceH that's impressive that you can put your socks on already. I remember that being a big milestone (along with cutting toenails) that didn't come to me until probably 4 weeks. I second the caution about driving. My OS told me I needed to imagine a child running out in front of my car and be able to have the confidence in my reaction time and physical ability to stomp hard on the brake. For me, after a right THR, it didn't really come until 4 weeks. But oh, that first drive was sweet heaven :happydance:

Release is usually done at your followup appointment so it's only a matter of days.

Followup appointment was today. Ok to drive, ok to do alot of things. Xray was fine, wound is healing fine, progress is as expected, next appointment is in a month. I was told to keep using the cane for now and that standing hip abductors and marching in place would help with walking.

It felt so good to be out and about, I went up and down stairs in the parking garage, walking with the cane gets a whole lot easier once I've gone a longer distance than just in the house. I really miss my neighborhood walks with the dogs. I won't be dog walking anytime soon but I'm going to make a point to get out when it's not raining (27 days in a row with measureable precipitation here). I will listen to my body and not join the odic.

Good Lord I feel good right now!

What a great report! Like being released from detention :heehee: . I found it hard to go from crutch to cane the last time for some reason, hoping this time is different. I hear ya about the rain too :blackcloud:it is that time of year.

Hi Bruce, Happy Wednesday!
Those uplifting post op appts are like a shot of adrenaline, aren't they? :yes:
You feel so good leaving the office once you're assured all looks well and you're progressing as you should. I'm happy for you. I remember the feeling!

Getting out in the world again is also a mood booster. You'll rest easy at home today. I hope you have a peaceful evening and sweet dreams tonight. :sleep:

You got wheels again :driver: Yay! :yay:
@BruceH

So happy for you, Bruce! It’s always good to read wonderful recovery stories like yours. It is also encouraging to those that are getting ready for their turn to have healing. Don’t overdo but keep up the excellent work. Keep us posted-happy days are here again!:happydance:

Happy Tuesday to you, Bruce :wave:
I notice you on the forum offering kind support to others and I'm wondering how you're doing since you posted last week? Have you been able to get out of the house again? Hopefully so, it sure seems to help lift the spirits and satisfy the boredom that sets in.
Have a great week!
@BruceH

Thanks for asking @Layla

I've been getting out of the house as often as I dare. Provided that water isn't falling out of the sky I go for outside walks. Yesterday was the longest at a little over .6 mile. It doesn't sound like much but at this point it takes a bit out of me. I followed the walk up with a trip to the grocery store for some fresh baked bread. The little things can make a difference. I would guess the shopping trip added another .5 mile or so.

Driving isn't hurting the incision too much any more, this means I can go for longer distances. I can also get in and out of my pickup in a normal fashion, no longer backing in and moving the op leg over followed by the good leg, etc. Now I just climb in.

I'm down to only taking 81mg aspirin twice daily. No tylenol, no nsaids, no narcotics. It's hard to believe how much the pain level has gone down. It still hurts some when I'm up and moving but it doesn't get beyond a low 3 at most and it goes away as soon as I sit down.

Still sleeping on my back. I've tried side sleeping a few times but it hurts, even with a pillow or pillows between my legs. I've never been a back sleeper and right now back sleeping is the biggest issue with recovery.

The last steri strips came off today, I'm so glad to have those things gone.

My next big goal is to take the dogs for a walk. They give me the guilt look all day and I feel for them. I'm the dog walker in the family. I'll have to feel very stable before I dare take them out. I'll wait to be cleared by the PA at my 6 week check up.

You are doing so well, and not even a month out! Have you tried the multi-pillow "nest" approach for sleeping that Layla and some others have described? I have accumulated 8 extra pillows to use for trying out that trick. I hate back-sleeping too; in fact it gives me headaches.

I know that puppy guilt look SO well :loll:. I have arranged for mine to have a mid-day walk for a few weeks, but he's used to having at least two per day and a hike in the woods on weekends, so we'll have to see how appreciative he is of my efforts toward his daily exercise.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom