THR Brooksy’s Hip Recovery

Just a note to hopefully make you feel better...
I’ve been reading other posts. Maybe it’s the ones I’m reading but they often seem to be able to walk unaided from three weeks.
Check out some of the other October Recovery members with dates near yours...
@Suedeboot @Ocean are a few.
All still using aides to baby that traumatized leg so they can heal and get over this recovery hump.

Hope your Saturday is Sweet!:flwrysmile:

Hi @Brookeer. I've just seen my physio at 6weeks post op and yes, he suggested my next steps (excuse the pun) was to start walking round the house unaided and outdoors with one crutch. He certainly never suggested I should be walking unaided all the time. I've still got a fair bit if swelling and quite a lot of pain, especially in the evenings which is frustrating but 6 weeks is way too early to be thinking I'd be fully recovered (I'm hoping I will see a significant improvement by 12 weeks though). Please take things at your own pace, it's your body and you've got to live with the consequences/pain if pushing too hard too soon.

Hi @Brookeer. I've just seen my physio at 6weeks post op and yes, he suggested my next steps (excuse the pun) was to start walking round the house unaided and outdoors with one crutch. He certainly never suggested I should be walking unaided all the time. I've still got a fair bit if swelling and quite a lot of pain, especially in the evenings which is frustrating but 6 weeks is way too early to be thinking I'd be fully recovered (I'm hoping I will see a significant improvement by 12 weeks though). Please take things at your own pace, it's your body and you've got to live with the consequences/pain if pushing too hard too soon.
Thanks. I think if my physio had left it until 6 weeks it would have been better. All it’s done is make me feel upset and inadequate. I was only 4 weeks post op when I saw her and it was too soon to be walking unaided for me. Like you I’ve still got a lot of swelling. I tried a new dress on today and the left side really stuck out. The physio thought it was a haemotoma the other day but then decided it wasn’t.
Up until I saw the physio I’d been quite pleased with my progress but it’s set me back mentally and physically.
The thought of having to see the surgeon and him not being pleased with my progress fills me with dread. He’s not very pleasant at the best of times. I feel like the pressure is on but I guess I’ll just have to be strong about it.

but this time she had me doing all kinds of stuff and said the surgeon will want me walking unaided by six weeks and I should be able to raise my knee to at least 90 degrees and beyond that if it’s comfortable.
There is absolutely no time line for this recovery. If you are not walking unaided by 6 weeks - well so what? You will walk unaided when you are ready.

Unfortunately most physios have a "checklist". If you are not at a particular point they can start to get pushy. Just remember - you are not in training. You are healing from major surgery. Plenty of time for strength training when you are feeling more confident.
Thank you that’s really good advice. I need to stop comparing myself to other people. I guess if I never walked again unaided it would be a bonus just to be out of the pain I was in.
It does seem really strange that physios and surgeons expect so much after a hip replacement when if it was any other op they’d advise against exercise.

@Brookeer, I had my surgery a few days after you and I am still using two crutches outdoors and one indoors plus holding on to furniture etc.

I can take a few steps without crutches at home as long as I can see something to hold onto if necessary. The physio told me to try not to limp and to use the crutches to help me stop limping. He said it’s better to use the aids for longer to stop the limping than to give up the aids and carry on limping. I see the physio again next week and then see my consultant the week after.

I’m thinking that it’ll take as long as it takes. In other news, I’ve been driving this week because my consultant said I could drive when I felt ready and safe. I asked him that specifically after surgery. He said the same in July when I had my first hip done.

I think you are doing well and you can only do what you can do, your body is in charge.

@Brookeer, I had my surgery a few days after you and I am still using two crutches outdoors and one indoors plus holding on to furniture etc.

I can take a few steps without crutches at home as long as I can see something to hold onto if necessary. The physio told me to try not to limp and to use the crutches to help me stop limping. He said it’s better to use the aids for longer to stop the limping than to give up the aids and carry on limping. I see the physio again next week and then see my consultant the week after.

I’m thinking that it’ll take as long as it takes. In other news, I’ve been driving this week because my consultant said I could drive when I felt ready and safe. I asked him that specifically after surgery. He said the same in July when I had my first hip done.

I think you are doing well and you can only do what you can do, your body is in charge.
Thank you so much. That makes me feel better. I’ve decided to go back to two crutches until I start walking properly and without pain again.

I’m not ready to drive yet. I haven’t got the strength in my left leg. However, my daughter isn’t in any hurry for me to drive as she’s using my car

@Brookeer, it took longer to be able to drive with my left hip surgery because the clutch requires more strength, I think. The physio said no driving until after six weeks for my first hip, so I told him what the consultant said and he said that the consultant is the boss.

If migraine issues occur regularly, maybe try maxalt. My migraines are gone in an hour. Ask your doc.

Ooh thanks I haven’t heard of that

@Brookeer, it took longer to be able to drive with my left hip surgery because the clutch requires more strength, I think. The physio said no driving until after six weeks for my first hip, so I told him what the consultant said and he said that the consultant is the boss.
Thanks. I’ll wait until I’ve got more strength - hopefully not too long.

SOME pt knows that we don't want to disappoint our os so they use that as leverage. Does your pt work directly with your surgeon? When I saw my os's pa at 6 weeks she was impressed I was on my cane and glad i was smart enough to pick it back up if I was limping. If you question your os expectations all or message his office. I am 7 1/2 weeks still on ca e away from house and cane some In the houses till limping without it....

I was driving at 3 weeks but it is automatic so left leg doesn't need to do anything but get me in...

SOME pt knows that we don't want to disappoint our os so they use that as leverage. Does your pt work directly with your surgeon? When I saw my os's pa at 6 weeks she was impressed I was on my cane and glad i was smart enough to pick it back up if I was limping. If you question your os expectations all or message his office. I am 7 1/2 weeks still on ca e away from house and cane some In the houses till limping without it....
Yes she works directly with him. Maybe she thinks it’s a reflection on her if patients don’t meet his required standards.

6 weeks 3 days post op. I had my first follow up with the surgeon tonight.

He looked at my scar, held my hands and asked me to stand on one leg and raise my knee then do it on the opposite side. I was very wobbly on the operated side.

He said the physio two weeks ago had stirred things up and to take it easy.

Said I won’t see him until the other one gets painful. That has not been discussed at all.
Great - another hip op to not look forward to. I feel like I’m sitting on a time bomb.

Antibiotics for dental treatment only if it’s root canal. Is that right?

I was in there less than two minutes.
So many questions I wanted to ask but I was rushed out like I was a piece of meat. I actually felt like crying when he told me to go.

Reality is I had physio over two weeks ago which I haven’t recovered from and I’m feeling quite upset. I’ve been in worse pain than immediately post op and my mobility is worse than at four weeks when I had the physio. There’s no way I can walk forwards without a limp so I’m still using a crutch. Strangely I can go sideways and backwards okay unaided.

I’ve got a sitting cycle exerciser and a Revitive circulation booster which I’m hoping will strengthen my leg muscles. I don’t know if I’m doing more harm than good.

I’ve cancelled tomorrow’s physio and have booked in with a different person in two weeks.
I feel like I need time to heal but don’t know if I’m doing the right thing.

I’ve only been out of my flat three times in six weeks and thought I’d be driving by now and hopefully getting back to work. I’m nowhere near ready for either so worried sick about money too as if I don’t work I don’t get paid.

I guess three years of pre op pain means a longer recovery.

To anyone out there who isn’t doing brilliantly at 6 weeks you’re not alone. I’ve no doubt I’ll get ‘there’ one day but it’s not happening any time soon.

Please don't feel like you're sitting on a time bomb. Try to deal with one thing at a time and right now its recovery for this hip. You'll have the strength to deal with another THR when / if the time comes.

You really should inquire about your OS's protocol for dental visits, since opinions on this topic vary widely and also to receive answers to the questions you have before your surgeon scurried off. I'd advise you compile a list and speak with your OS over the phone, or the consultant, explaining you felt rushed during your appointment and have questions.

Canceling physio will not hurt since it is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Brookeer

Every time I’ve read this report of your OS visit, I’m left speechless. It just doesn’t seem right somehow. I agree with Layla. Get someone “in the know” on the phone with your questions in hand and insist on answers. You deserve it.

My OS advised me yesterday at my six week checkup that I was to take antibiotics for every dental visit/procedure for the next two years. Even the cleanings. That’s pretty much what he advised with my first THR. No biggie.

Please don’t let the rough start you had deter your motivation to heal and move past the PT phase. I truly believe a lot of my mobility and ROM since surgery has been in doing just normal things around the house but not too excess and certainly nothing strenuous. Stuff like folding clothes. I started with the towels and folded them sitting in my chair but when I stacked them, I used a corner of our fireplace hearth that made me have to stretch upper body a bit to reach it. Felt good to work those muscles lightly. Getting my ice packs from freezer is another example. I had to stretch down just a bit since our freezer is on bottom of frig but it was an easy reach. Felt good. That’s mostly it. Making sandwiches. Heating up leftovers. Just exercising without feeling like it was PT. I did my usual PT list, too, but not every day and certainly not three times each day. I really found more comfort and relaxation in slow short walks. Then an ice pack and good rest/nap.

Yours will come. One day at a time. Just forget about all the stuff with the OS and let your body be your guide. Wishing you a pain free Thanksgiving with lots of happy memories being made. Spoil yourself! :egypdance:

Please don't feel like you're sitting on a time bomb. Try to deal with one thing at a time and right now its recovery for this hip. You'll have the strength to deal with another THR when / if the time comes.

You really should inquire about your OS's protocol for dental visits, since opinions on this topic vary widely and also to receive answers to the questions you have before your surgeon scurried off. I'd advise you compile a list and speak with your OS over the phone, or the consultant, explaining you felt rushed during your appointment and have questions.

Canceling physio will not hurt since it is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Brookeer
Thank you so much for your advice and support. I was feeling pretty upset last night. When I looked at the x ray at my first consultation I thought my right hip looked as bad as the left but to be told in such an uncaring almost brutal way was a shock.
I’ll do what you suggest and write a letter to the consultant.
I may not go back to their physio. The one I had pre op is phoning me on Monday and I think I’d trust him more in the future.

Every time I’ve read this report of your OS visit, I’m left speechless. It just doesn’t seem right somehow. I agree with Layla. Get someone “in the know” on the phone with your questions in hand and insist on answers. You deserve it.

My OS advised me yesterday at my six week checkup that I was to take antibiotics for every dental visit/procedure for the next two years. Even the cleanings. That’s pretty much what he advised with my first THR. No biggie.

Please don’t let the rough start you had deter your motivation to heal and move past the PT phase. I truly believe a lot of my mobility and ROM since surgery has been in doing just normal things around the house but not too excess and certainly nothing strenuous. Stuff like folding clothes. I started with the towels and folded them sitting in my chair but when I stacked them, I used a corner of our fireplace hearth that made me have to stretch upper body a bit to reach it. Felt good to work those muscles lightly. Getting my ice packs from freezer is another example. I had to stretch down just a bit since our freezer is on bottom of frig but it was an easy reach. Felt good. That’s mostly it. Making sandwiches. Heating up leftovers. Just exercising without feeling like it was PT. I did my usual PT list, too, but not every day and certainly not three times each day. I really found more comfort and relaxation in slow short walks. Then an ice pack and good rest/nap.

Yours will come. One day at a time. Just forget about all the stuff with the OS and let your body be your guide. Wishing you a pain free Thanksgiving with lots of happy memories being made. Spoil yourself! :egypdance:
Thank you. He wasn’t even busy and there wasn’t anyone waiting to see him after me. I was out of the appointment before the time I was due to go in.
I am a bit worried about the dental antibiotics. I’d try and get hold of them myself but don’t know which ones to get or the dose. Does your dentist prescribe them?
I’ve been moving around my flat a lot and doing basic jobs but haven’t been out for a walk. With one thing and another there hasn’t been anyone to go out with and I’m worried about falling. There’s leaves all over the ground here and it looks pretty slippery.

My surgeon told me I could call his office for a prescription for dental antibiotics. He insists that his patients take a dose before dental work. My dentist leaves it up to the OS to decide, but his office staff will also call in the script.
Last time I went, it was cephalexin 400mg, just one dose.
My dentist has antibiotics on hand in case someone who needs them forgets to call for the presciption.
Perhaps call your dentist and see if they'll provide the prescription as your OS prefers?

My surgeon told me I could call his office for a prescription for dental antibiotics. He insists that his patients take a dose before dental work. My dentist leaves it up to the OS to decide, but his office staff will also call in the script.
Last time I went, it was cephalexin 400mg, just one dose.
My dentist has antibiotics on hand in case someone who needs them forgets to call for the presciption.
Perhaps call your dentist and see if they'll provide the prescription as your OS prefers?
Many thanks. I’ve written to my consultant now. His secretary said she’ll put it in his ‘admin’. I think he’ll say no again but I’ll ask my dentist too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks