Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Bilateral THR BrookeO recovery thread

brookeo

Country
United States United States
Had both hips replaced this morning - anterior. I was so happy to wake up and hear they got to both. They were going to make a decision based on how much blood loss occurred during the first. Total surgery time for both hips was 2.25 hours.

So far so good. I’ve been doing my pt exercises and was able to eat a decent meal. Haven’t walked yet - team came in to do it and my blood pressure dropped way too low and overwhelming nausea. Trying again first thing in the morning.
Hope pain is completely gone. I have some quad pain but nothing terrible.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:Congratulations and Welcome to Recovery!
Both at once, you're a brave one! You'll find other bi-lateral Recovery stories here if you're interested. It sounds like you're doing very well. The hip pain will be gone but it's likely you'll suffer some discomfort for a time, hopefully well managed with the prescribed meds.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below as the info will be beneficial as you begin your healing journey. Stop back often, we'd love to offer support and encouragement as you move forward. Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:

Debru4

graduate
Country
Glad you hear you were able to get both of your hips replaced and not are on your way to a more pain free life! Don't get discouraged if sometime during the next fews days you feel an increase in pain from the surgery....that often happens when all the meds from the surgery leave your system. The nice part is that the hip pain is gone, and the surgical pain will be soon as well!

OP
OP
brookeo

brookeo

Country
Thanks all! First night was fine - easily fell asleep but woken up frequently for medications. Blood pressure was low most of the night but better this am.
I was able to stand up and walk to the chair with zero issues. I was expecting some huge ordeal to walk but surprisingly it was pretty easy peasy!
I still can’t believe my hip pain is gone.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@brookeo Well done on tackling a move to the chair. Isn't it amazing when you suddenly realise it's the pain that is missing? You are going to love those new hips!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I felt the same... just amazed and thankful:tada:
Pretty image of those awesome new hips!!!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @brookeo
Nice pic, thanks for sharing and updating. You're on your way!
Sweet dreams tonight! :yawn: :sleep:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Just popping by to say hello and keep hanging in there.
After the initial adrenaline rush from "getting through" the surgery, I found myself thinking...gee. this is not real fun.
Will all be worth it.
Healing hugs @brookeo

OP
OP
brookeo

brookeo

Country
I appreciate you reaching out! Yes I’m on day 3 and quad pain is a little rough. Heading home this morning! Ready to sleep without being woken up every hour :)

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
congrats on your new hips and no OA pain.
The pain you are and may experience is only temporary... hang in there.... you've done it! :)

Uncivil

Country
Congrats on your replacements. You are brave doing both hips at once. I have one down, second scheduled for January. Good luck getting home safely. I found it hard to limit myself once home so try hard to take it easy and not do to much.

I am also younger like you, glad to see you are on your way to pain free hips!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to see you're on the way where you can get some much needed rest and recuperation. Continue to take it slow and easy, this isn't a race, it's a marathon. Remember to rest, elevate and ice, ice baby!
:ice:

OP
OP
brookeo

brookeo

Country
Made it home! Except now I have developed twitching in my glutes whenever I begin to fall asleep. Please tell me this is temporary! :unsure:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It's temporary! I had it for several weeks, though.. It was like a version of restless legs. Sorry you are having them.
I had a great supplement that contained magnesium and also some other things that would help me sleep..several people swear by their magnesium sup

plements after surgery.

Here's a link to one of our articles on Magnesium:

So maybe you can read this and see what you think? It's always good to run things past your OS team, too.

Debru4

graduate
Country
I also had the leg twitching issue. In addition to having trouble falling asleep because of it, sometimes it also woke me up. After hearing about magnesium here on the forum, I bought some and began seeing some relief within a few days. The leg twitching did continue a bit, but it was much better.

I also began taking epsom salt baths about 3 times a week which I believe helped also. The overall restless leg did last about 3 weeks for me. Interestingly enough, my overall sleep improved in quality, and some of the leg spasms and pain I'd felt during the daytime also improved. I continue to take the magnesium and epsom salt baths even now as a result. I have become a huge fan of magnesium! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob Stiff Knee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom