THR BrokenBeaker's Pre OP Thread.

BrokenBeaker

Country
United States United States
Newly registered but have been lurking around for a bit.

I'm getting a total hip replacement on old righty on Thursday October 14th.

First joint replacement. Lots of anxiety, no lies. I'm 43 and this stemmed from a childhood slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE), so it has been 30+ years in the making. I have virtually zero flexibility, quality of life has crashed the past couple of years, so on the one hand I'm totally ready for it, but still feeling a bit surreal in a way.

@BrokenBeaker
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!:welome:!
Glad you are going to have your hip replacement after getting 30 years out of your SCFE, assuming it was pinned.
You will notice I have moved your post in the October Fiesties Team thread to your own pre op thread.
If you would like a new title, post it here and a moderator will change it for you.

Here is a copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines to help you prepare for your THR, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Sounds like a familiar story, I waited too. It took some time for the reality to sink in after I had my date scheduled. Even up to the night before I was ready to cancel. It was that night I accepted it and the dedication in recovery it was going to take to benefit from the surgery. I liked it so much I went back for another. The anxiety is normal, the actual surgery is easy you'll miss all of it. The recovery is no piece of cake but worth it, you'll doubt that the first 2 weeks.

Same here waited until pain was unbearable, life altering, and unable to work. Had LHR iAugust 16. Knew when the PT got me up a few hours later in hospital that awful pain was history. Having right hip done November 18. You will do great. You can always use the search tool on here. I have yet to find a question I could not get help on with search window. Recover at your own rate dont compare yourself to others and listen to your body it will tell you if your over doing things. Elevation and ice should be your go to for weeks after surgery. Best of luck see you on the recovery side.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support.

My SCFE was pinned way back as a kid, but they removed the screws a few years after to allow for growth.

I always knew that I was going to need a THR before what is typical, so it's always been this looming thing. I really should have gotten it done about 5 years ago. That's when I noticed a fundamental shift in my quality of life. But I always made up excuses, you know? Oh, let's move. Let's get a house. Oh it's a pandemic. While I should have done it 5 years ago, about a year ago was really my downhill slide.

I'm ready for a positive path forward. I have a supporting wife, we have some odds and ends already set up in the house. I'm looking forward walking through my kitchen without pain and hobbling.

Hey there…Happy Wednesday!
Tomorrow is your big day….finally. I understand your apprehension, we all do, but you’re going to love the result. Focus on that and a brighter future. You’ll be in our thoughts. I wish you only the best, an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery. Will watch for you on the healing side and hope to see you there once you’re resting comfortably back at home.
@BrokenBeaker

My SCFE was pinned when I was 14, had a quack try to remove the pins which he didn't accomplish. My pins had to be removed when my OS did the THR. This added to my anxiety and made finding a competent OS important. That in itself added to my wait time in finding someone that I knew could do the job.

It’s the big day!

Heading to the surgical center. So far the worst part is waking up at 4:30am with hardly getting any sleep.

See y’all on the flip side!

All the best, friend. You're going to do great. :friends:

Prayers and positive energy coming your way. Looking forward to seeing you on the healing, recovery side.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88