THR Broken Hip, Didnt Know

JoySoNice

Country
United States United States
6 days post op and doing extremely well. I am an anomoly (so says my surgeon.) I was walking around on a broken hip for 3 weeks...waiting for what I thought was bursitis...to go away. Pain eventually so bad went to ER...and got the shocking news...nothing had happened to cause break.

After 6 days very little pain, just a tight feeling in thigh...and sleeping like a baby. Grateful for easy recovery.

@JoySoNice
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Glad to hear your recovery is going well and you have little pain.

Please post your surgery dates and surgery you had THR or and ORIF for your fracture, having the exact dates will allow us to advise you properly.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry for your accident and resulting surgery. Thankfully it's been addressed and you're healing.

Exactly what type of surgery did you experience? Was it a Total Hip Replacement, or was it a surgery that involved screws, plates, a rod or such putting / holding things in place? If you could provide that information along with date and which hip was involved it will make it easier for those who stop by to advise, or offer advice and support through personal experience.

I hope you're having a good week. Happy Wednesday! :)
@JoySoNice

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry for your accident and resulting surgery. Thankfully it's been addressed and you're healing.

Exactly what type of surgery did you experience? Was it a Total Hip Replacement, or was it a surgery that involved screws, plates, a rod or such putting / holding things in place? If you could provide that information along with date and which hip was involved it will make it easier for those who stop by to advise, or offer advice and support through personal experience.

I hope you're having a good week. Happy Wednesday! :)
@JoySoNice
There was no trauma...I thought I had bursitis...I walked on fracture for 3 weeks. Total replacement January 22.

:welome: to Bonesmart and Oh my stars...I can only imagine it. Would be a shock to find out you hip needed to be replaced in that way.:unsure:
Thankfully, it was discovered and you are now on the healing path.
Hopefully you are staying iced up and taking it easy.
Healing vibes coming your way.

Hello @JoySoNice

Glad you have joined us. Super glad you went straight to THR. I walked on a fractured hip too and didn’t know until 4 weeks. Mine was result of fall. But, you got excellent advise to go ahead and replace. You will be back to new in a few short months.

I am sure you are in shock. Sending healing wishes. :flwrysmile:

Hello @JoySoNice

Glad you have joined us. Super glad you went straight to THR. I walked on a fractured hip too and didn’t know until 4 weeks. Mine was result of fall. But, you got excellent advise to go ahead and replace. You will be back to new in a few short months.

I am sure you are in shock. Sending healing wishes. :flwrysmile:
Yes, in shock...never crossed my mind was fracture. Surgery was a week ago today...amazing how close to normal I feel already. Don't use walker anymore I feel very stable..and pain is about zero.

Good Morning Joy, :hi:
Wow, you're certainly doing well. Please take it slow though. There is a lot of internal healing that will be happening for months to come. Wonderful news that your pain is so minimal! Please refer to the Activity Progression for THR in the Recovery Guidelines. It's meant as a rough gauge but it should keep you out of the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we refer to it around here if you loosely follow it.
Have a great Thursday and weekend! :)
@JoySoNice

I was kinda bragging at 2 weeks post op having no problems at all. Exactly 3 weeks now and knee giving me a little trouble. With every step, I have to deliberately tell my knee straighten, it wants to bend (and of course your leg won't hold your weight bent.) While in bed I pushed down on my knee 20 times....but that was a mistake now tendons alongside knee hurt. I won't do that again....but just wondering if anyone else had knee straightening problem.

Sorry you're having some knee problems, unfortunately can't really add anything about the knee wanting to bend. If you're not already elevating and icing I would definitely suggest you do that, at least 45-60minutes at a time and right now I would be doing it anytime I wasn't up moving around. Since you've irritated the knee you should probably take it easy for the next few days and let it try to recover.

@JoySoNice How are you feeling now? Hoping that your knee has settled down a bit. I am wondering if you are experiencing some swelling? Even a little bit of swelling that drops down around your knee can cause issues with flexion/extension.

I had a very sore knee after both of my replacements, it returned to normal but it took a good bit of time to do so.
I guess you won't be tempted to do that exercise of pushing your knee down like that.. we all have things that we did and regretted.. it seems to be part of the learning curve. Hoping you feel better, or will soon!

Which direction is your knee bending? Mine wanted to fall in towards the other knee.

@JoySoNice
So glad to hear you got a THR soon after your fracture. I fractured my hip at the femoral neck seven months ago and had a hip repair done, called a pinning, with 3 cannulated screws inserted. Unfortunately my femoral head developed necrosis, which is a very common complication and finally had a THR two weeks ago. You were spared all that wasted time in pain.
Knee pain after surgery is very common. Be careful and don’t overdo it! You are recovering so well!

:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing at two months post op? We’d love to hear about your progress if you care to share.
Take care, be safe, stay healthy. :) Hope to hear from you soon!
@JoySoNice

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom