THR Brisco06 Recovery from Aug 25

I agree with the strategy of allowing the joint to just rest and focus on getting your mobility back. Walking is the best way to do that and bottom squeezes. This is all temporary, soon you will be in a better place and strength will come as you continue to heal. It’s like having brand new parts that need time to break in and become aligned with the areas surrounding the joint.

sending healing blessings your way.

:wave:Happy to see things are easing soon.
Strong one, you are.:ok:
Recovery can be quite a confusing dance...but keep listening to your body, take it slow and steady, and you will continue to get better and better.
Happy Wednesday!:) :-) (:

I am coming up on four weeks post surgery. I am walking pretty well without any aids. I have been out a few times to the grocery store but nothing major. My exercise regimen consists of mainly walking around the house and a few of the PT exercises I was given. However, my hip (actuallly my whole leg from hip to and including knee) are much sorer now than previously. Is this normal to feel worse at 4 weeks than 2 weeks? I had my follow up with the physicians assistant and he said everything looked good. The pain is more of a soreness and stiffess than anything else...hope it's just part of the healing process. Any comments would b appreciated.

Yes. It all sounds normal especially when you start getting back to normal activities. Anything, and I do mean anything, that you start adding back in can cause soreness and stiffness. Your leg is not used to “normal” and it’s still healing. Ice, elevate, and take what you need medicine wise to ease up the pain. Patience is the best part of valor here. Keep us posted.

All normal especially at 4 weeks which is still very early in the recovery journey. You are still on the journey which can take a while and all those muscles and nerves were disturbed so they are continuing to heal. Sometimes we do not even realize how much we are doing as we start resuming daily activities but our bodies know.

Time will slowly take care of all the stiffness and aches.

Obviously I will yield to my surgeon, but I am curious as to how long after the first THR are people scheduling the second hip? My other hip is also bad and was thinking about having it replaced this year since there is not much traveling with the virus and am stuck at home anyway.

@brisco06 it's usually what your surgeon feels comfortable with and how he/she thinks you can handle the two surgeries. We've had some folks have the other hip done at a month out from the first. Others have waited a bit longer.

I've noticed all different time frames from member's recovery threads but it seems to me that the usual timing is 3 months. I can't think of a particular name, but I think we've had several people return for the second THR in 6-8 weeks.
It will be interesting to hear what your surgeon suggests, especially since he knows how you did in the first surgery and all about your health history.

Last edited:
My OS was ready to schedule me at 3 mos after the first. I wasn't ready and told him I'd call when ready. My hip,my choice and my timeline. Worked out fine for me and he ad no problem scheduling me pretty quickly after I called.

I’ve read times between surgeries from one week, YES, one week, don’t know how she ever went back for more at one week, up to one year for a second surgery.

My dad, at age 72-73 had both hips replaced within 5 months. I was really nervous about it at the time, not yet familiar with BoneSmart, but he came through it like a champ. I did notice a definite difference in fatigue with his second surgery which I thought was most likely due to his body taking on two major surgeries and recoveries so close together. Nonetheless, he did well.

Given your current progress and health history, your surgeon should be able to help you make a decision best for you. Please let us know when you decide on a date and we’ll add it to your signature and be in place to cheer you on.
Happy Sunday! :wave:
@brisco06

Had my 6 week follow-up with the OS today. He said everything looked good. He asked me about my PT. I told him I was not doing any structured PT....I do some exercises on my own at my house and walk. He said that was perfect. He indicated that he has modified his view on PT. He said sometimes PT's that are not familiar with his protocol are maybe a little too exuberant in strengthening. He said his patients doing what I am doing have better outcomes. I thought that might be interesting to some of you dealing with the PT decision. (he is a young surgeon btw). Also, we talked about doing my other hip in a month or so. He felt that 12 weeks was a good interval between surgeries.

Wonder if it would be worth some Med students time to do a study of Bonesmart recoveries. It might not be completely scientific but maybe it would lead to taking a closer look at PT in joint recovery. The prosthesis and the surgery keep getting better, why not recoveries?

Sounds like you had a good follow-up, woohoo! It is really interesting how many surgeons seem to be changing their minds on PT. Happy that yours agrees with what you've been doing, slow and easy wins this race!

Hello and Happy Tuesday :)
It sounds like you had a nice post op visit with your surgeon three weeks ago. Do you have your Right THR scheduled yet? If so, please share the date so we can add it to your signature and continue to offer support and encouragement as you move through your next surgery. You’re doing great!
A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary.:loveshwr:
@brisco06

I have my right THR scheduled for November 5. Hopefully, it will go as smoothly as the first one.

Hello again @brisco06
Thanks for sharing your surgery date.
Hopefully we can continue to follow your journey as a double hippy. We‘ll be here to cheer you on. Wishing you comfort as you await your surgery date. Not long now.

Soon you will join the double hippy club and get rid of the pain. I hope your night is a peaceful one. :flwrysmile:

:hi: Soon...Last one and done @brisco06
:dancy:
I know you probably aren't looking forward to the surgery and initial recovery....but the end results will be worth it.
Healing vibes coming your way in advance.:friends:

Just got home from my RHR. The spinal didn't "kick in" quickly and ended up with GA because the OS was ready to go haha. Feel okay, no foggy head, nausea, etc. One thing that is different from my first THR is that my calves are sore...like I had walked too far. Anybody else had that happen? Resting and icing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom