Lounge Doctor

THR BrandyinPA Recovery

BrandyinPA

Country
United States United States
Hi. How did your second surgery go? I’m also in recovery and concerned about the pain meds.

Pumpkin

Country
OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
Hi @Jockette. I was asking her a specific question about the member's surgery. I wasn’t asking a general question of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
@BranyinPA

I’m also in recovery and concerned about the pain meds.
It is important to take your pain meds on schedule as prescribed for a few weeks, everyone is different when weaning off, listen to what your body is telling you.
What are your concerns about your pain meds?
Getting addicted in a common concern.
All the best,
Chris
I’m a recovering addict, so pain medication is a concern because my body doesn’t know the difference between cocaine purchased illegally and opioids gotten by prescription. So I have to be careful what I take.

Thank you for your advice. I’ll be sure to take whatever I’m given as directed. But I’ll probably just white knuckle it and use ibuprofen.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@BranyinPA The thread you originally posted on is very old. The member has not been on BoneSmart for awhile - probably off living life again.

Our members will chime in with their input as many have this concern.

subie2021

Country
Talk to your surgeon about pain control, and ask about what might be appropriate or not after surgery. For instance, ibuprofen was not an option for me until a month after surgery , because my surgeon had prescribed aspirin as a blood thinner and the two don't mix.
Best wishes for an easy recovery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I’m a recovering addict, so pain medication is a concern because my body doesn’t know the difference between cocaine purchased illegally and opioids gotten by prescription. So I have to be careful what I take.

Thank you for your advice. I’ll be sure to take whatever I’m given as directed. But I’ll probably just white knuckle it and use ibuprofen.
Thanks for joining us and sharing.
I'm sorry to read of your struggle with drug dependency. I’m glad you’re reaching out.
We’ll be here to offer encouragement and support as you journey through recovery. There is a wealth of information to be found here, as well as many wonderful understanding people. Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.

Please leave your surgery date below and which hip was replaced. The info is helpful for those stopping by your thread to read and comment. Thanks in advance. :wave:

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Have you discussed your situation with your surgeon and your GP? We have had members who were former addicts who were able to use some pain medication successfully. But as I'm sure you know, each person is different and this may not be possible for you. Tylenol can also be used in combination with an NSAID and that can work for some people.

Also be sure you are using ice as much as possible. It's a great pain reliever.

OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
Thank you everyone for your help. I asked my Ortho doc for celebrex which helps take the edge off the pain. I had to practically beg for that. I’m looking for a new surgeon, I’ll update with a surgery date once I get one.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
The best move is to directly tell your surgeon about your addiction history. I'm guessing that you had to fight for Celebrex because you didn't tell your doctor about your addiction history. I'm just guessing here.

In any case, as strange as it sounds, there is no reason to hide your history. In fact, you would to all but shout about it to the doctor. It is extremely understandable and wonderful that you are worried taking opioids. That's wise.

Doctors are shockingly nonjudgmental, though patients often feel worried that they're going to be harshly criticized. Most doctors just want to know what we are taking/doing so that they have the information to make a recommendation.

Share your addiction concern with your surgeon and tell them you are really worried about using opioids. Just say what you say here. They WANT to know that information. Disclosing your addiction history and worry will get the doctor and the anesthesiologist to think creatively to come up with a good pain regimen specifically designed for you and your history.

Our job as patients is to present as much specific info as possible, and sometimes the most important information is that which we are embarrassed about, often for no good reason.

BTW: addictions of all kinds run in my family, and I'm very addictive. I also have depression history. I disclosed all of that to my surgeon and his chief nurse.

Also you can be proactive here, and set up lots of accountability after surgery--whether or not you use opioids. Set that up ahead of time if you at all are worried about a slip or relapse--and yes, there can be some frustrating moments after surgery. So get your recovery support network in gear ahead of time, or if you no longer do any treatment, might be a good idea to reactivate your support network for this time.

So I'm curious whether you disclosed your real concern to your doctor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
The best move is to directly tell your surgeon about your addiction history. I'm guessing that you had to fight for Celebrex because you didn't tell your doctor about your addiction history. I'm just guessing here.
Hi there.
The reason I had to fight for Celebrex (which is not a narcotic) is because my old Ortho doc doesn’t care about me as a person. All he saw is that I’m overweight and so he really didn’t want to hear anything from me. He looked at me as if to say “why are you here?”. I’m also unsure if he’s not a racist, but let’s not go there. I’m not ashamed of being a recovering addict, I didn’t tell him because he already didn’t care that I’m in tremendous pain. He never offered me any hope or suggestions, just said “you need to lose weight”. That was a crushing blow to someone writhing in pain. It finally dawned on me that he simply didn’t care so it’s time to move on.
Anyway, thanks for the support and advice. I have appointments with other so I’ll doctors who, if they take me seriously, I’ll disclose my previous addiction. I have nothing to hide, I just want to live without pain (but not to the point where I’ll take bad drugs again).

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Branyin I know you said that you have appointments with other doctors but if you would like to research more, we have a Surgeon Locator option that is listed at the top of the page that might be of help to you.

I wish you the best in your journey, surely there is a good doctor out there who will be willing to listen.

Please keep us posted, we are here to offer support where and when we can.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
Wow, so sorry to hear that you don't really like the surgeon, found him to be mean and dismissive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
@Branyin I know you said that you have appointments with other doctors but if you would like to research more, we have a Surgeon Locator option that is listed at the top of the page that might be of help to you.

I wish you the best in your journey, surely there is a good doctor out there who will be willing to listen.

Please keep us posted, we are here to offer support where and when we can.
Thank you!

OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
Update: I think I found my doctor! He listed to me as I was in tears by the time I got to his office, which is a 45 minute drive from my home. I was in so much pain because my right hip is the worst, which of course is my driving leg. Well, this doctor (Dr. Scheel - thanks @Me2!) also said the surgery would go better if I lost just 15-20 pounds, but said just do the best that I can. He sent me to a physical therapist to strengthen my core before surgery. He also gave me a 30 day supply of tramadol, which has helped with the pain along with the Celebrex. I have a plan to lose the required weight in 30 days and hope to have a surgery date soon!
Thanks everyone.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful news @BranyinPA ! Persistence paid off! I thought Tramadol helped me get through my pre op days pretty well.

Good luck with PT and diet and please keep us posted? Or if you just need some support..

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Great news! Wishing you luck with the weight loss and hope you’re able to get your surgery scheduled soon. Wishing you comfort in the interim.
@BrandyinPA

Puggles

Country
I am so happy to read your update !!!! :)
I'm sorry that other surgeon treated you so badly. I
hope the tramadol and celebrex continue to help you!

OP
OP
B

BrandyinPA

Country
Great news! Wishing you luck with the weight loss and hope you’re able to get your surgery scheduled soon. Wishing you comfort in the interim.
@BrandyinPA
Layla, can you fix my username? It should read Brandy, I accidentally left off the “d”.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
irving95
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom