THR Brand new to all of this

Ropeslinger

Country
United States United States
Hello all, I'm brand new to all of this. I'm sure you get this post often...
I had a severe fall injury at work back in October and am in excruciating pain constantly. After finally being referred to an orthopedist, I've found out that my right hip is destroyed and am scheduled for THR on March 1st.
I've been wrecked up a lot in my 54 years, broken bones, back, hands etc... always bounced back and got on with life.
To be honest, this one has me concerned...
I have loads of questions and not getting many answers other than what the doctor has told me regarding the procedure. I'm looking for real, experienced "hands on" answers.
I'm an experienced paramedic, 30+ years so I've seen and delt with broken hips, complicated THR etc, you know...the horror stories regarding THR failures.
I need to know what to actually expect, post op capabilities, allowed movements, long term abilities. I am a very physically active person, and these last few months confined to a recliner is pretty disheartening.
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Dan

Attachments

• 20210122_112635.jpg
    20210122_112635.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 236
Welcome. I too am waiting to have my surgery on April 16th. I have similar concerns about things going wrong. But the stats are in our favor for positive results. My surgeon seems confident he could fix the broken and I’m trusting in him. The key is find someone you feel confident with. It took me six consultations to find him but I did and I’m ready. Now all you can do is think positive amd leave it in their hands till surgery and then take charge of your recovery. A lot can be learned here. I have been learning a lot since signing in here and you will too. Good luck to you. Look forward to reading about your recovery and hopefully a positive one.

:wave:Howdy, (sorry, couldn't help myself) @Ropeslinger and welcome to Bonesmart, definitely the place to get the scoop from those who have been there, and done that.
What a beautiful scene for your avatar...that sky and sounds like you are a true cowboy in your chosen profession too.:) :-) (:
I'm sorry your injury has led to needing a hip replacement, but the great news is this surgery can give you your life back, as it surely did for me.
I'm not a medical professional and am looking at this imaging on my small device, so can you clarify... Is there a break or did the injury highlight OA in your hip?
My back issues finally led to diagnosis of end-stage OA in both hips and then BTHR at the ripe old age of 53. :sigh:
My hips are now pain free, and I am stronger and more active than ever.

I'm an experienced paramedic, 30+ years so I've seen and delt with broken hips, complicated THR etc, you know...the horror stories regarding THR failures.
I'm sure this makes it tougher...glad I was fairly naive on the subject of hip replacement prior to my own.
You certainly can't unsee your life, but please remind yourself that in your profession, you do see the smaller percentage of folks with serious issues.

I need to know what to actually expect, post op capabilities, allowed movements, long term abilities.
All recoveries are different, and your surgeon should address any specific restrictions... but you can expect to summon alot of patience early days post-op, will need some temporary walking aides while healing, and Also...expect to be back to a healthy active life long-term.:happydance:
I am a very physically active person, and these last few months confined to a recliner is pretty disheartening.
I'm sure it has been....my life was shrinking and I was getting very depressed and discouraged.
I'll leave you some pre-op reading and I'm sure lots of folks will weigh in here.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I'll give you the pre-op reading for people having their hips replaced.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

post op capabilities, allowed movements, long term abilities
Just post op you will have limited mobility. But this quickly eases. And long term - well everything you do now (or did before you fall) you will be able to do again. My only life time restrictions are no bungee jumping or parachuting. Otherwise it's back to living post THR.

Trust your surgeon and discuss your expectations with them. You won't regret this surgery.

Thanks, it would kill me to not be able to ride again.

We have plenty of members who ride again. You will need to give that hip time to heal. And do share your priority with your surgeon. It's important that you both have the same goals.

You mentioned a "serious injury" as a result of a fall in October. Can you tell us what your injuries were?

Completely destroyed my right hip. 15' fall landing on my right knee rotating towards my right hip. Most of the cartilage was compressed and expelled from the joint, significant damage to both the ball and socket. I put an x-ray up to show the damage. This x-ray is from 2 weeks ago. I've been dealing with this injury without any pain medication as this is worker's comp and they're not allowed to prescribe pain meds in my state...after the initial incident, the Dr put me back to work for 2 weeks at full duty untill I could no longer weight bear. I actually had to hire an attorney to get this far...

Attachments

• 20210122_112635 (1).jpg
    20210122_112635 (1).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 223
15' fall landing on my right knee rotating towards my right hip.
Thank you for the explanation of your injury.
Oh my stars....ow. That sounds terribly painful.

Most of the cartilage was compressed and expelled from the joint, significant damage to both the ball and socket.
Saw the damaged ball and socket and lack of cartilage which is why I was suspecting osteoarthritis. Had no idea it was caused by a traumatic injury.
Hip pain is horrid but it took years to get awful. I hate this happened at work and you are having to fight for proper treatment and care. Putting you back to work in that shape is beyond the pale, as is, the lack of pain management, in my opinion.

The hip replacement surgery will certainly get rid of the hip pain, (I was so grateful for this relief) and the post-op pain comes from soft tissue trauma which is thankfully All Temporary unless you do too much too soon.

I would say, one of the things I didn't see on xray...that I was trying to look for when you said it was severe injury due to a fall, was a break or fracture.
Tells me you have some strong bones which is a good thing.:ok:

Very strong bones for sure. Lucky in that department. Orthopedist said I was fortunate in that this was all the damage, it could have been much worse.

That is definitely a plus for hip prosthesis. Luckily, I have strong bones too and with my bionic hips, I am back to my life and passions... off shore fishing, atv riding, and with my work...I log 18000 steps per day average... Back to life in a big way.
Time does seem to go so slowly when you are in pain...:nah:

Hey @Ropeslinger
It looks like you‘re one of three male March Musketeers experiencing hip replacement on Monday. I found the camaraderie of sharing the same date, or nearly the same date with another member comforting. The thought of another going through it all with you in real time, makes it less lonesome. Actually you’ll find the largest cheering squad right here. Having been there, we get it! Take advantage, we’ll be with you all the way offering advice, support and encouragement whenever you need it.
Wishing you comfort as you await Monday. :)

@Ropeslinger I’m scheduled first thing Monday morning also, arrive at 6am and surgery at 7am! I’m a police officer and same as you very active and the nerves are kicking in! Hope all goes well and looking forward to an update once your all done! Keep in touch

@Humbleservant That's funny, I'm a retired Chief of Police myself. Good to meet you brother. Yessir the nerves are kicking in now, I check-in at 6am and surgery at 8am!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom