THR Brand New Hip

A little update, 3 weeks post-op...
I've graduated to a cane now, walking about 300 yards at a time and exercising muscles several times a day.
I have sore moments particularly after stretching but getting better every day. It's nice to not be in agony every moment. I actually have been sleeping comfortably for 6-7 hour stretches.
Finally get to attend outpatient PT starting Monday the 29th, still not cleared to drive so Workers comp arranged transportation to and from.
I think I've made tremendous progress having not had any physical therapy other than the "One Step" program I was invited to participate in through this site.
I appreciate the support all of you have shown and helping to alleviate a lot of apprehension I had about the surgery.

@Ropeslinger Great update! Sounds like you are doing well.

Don't let PT push you. Hips don't need a lot of PT - walking is the best exercise. Once that hip is healed you can focus on strengthening.

Do let us know how your PT goes.

Update: Had first outpatient PT today and actually am way ahead of the ball on this thanks to the One Step program I was invited to through this site. The therapist wants me to stop using the cane, but to carry it with me just in case I need it for stability while on long walks.

Hello @Ropeslinger
Thanks for updating. It’s good to read you’re doing so well.
Happy One Month Anniversary!

Awesome to hear you are doing well and that One Step has been helpful @Ropeslinger! Hope your recovery continues on such a bright path!

6 week post-op check in...
So far I'm doing fantastic, been walking without a cane for 2 weeks now, still dealing with muscle weakness but all the pain I had endured is GONE and for that I am thankful.
Bought my first bicycle ever and am teaching myself how to ride it :heehee: quite comical watching a 54 year old learning to ride a bicycle for the first time. PT doc says that's the best way to build strength in my hip area so I'm game.
My surgeon says I'm doing remarkable because of the 12 hip replacements he did the same day as mine, I am the only one that's not still using a walker.
I know this is not a race but I am a driven person and will not be sidelined by something like this.
I feel very fortunate to have not had any setbacks or complications.
I want to thank everyone here for the awesome support and encouragement while I waded through all of this. I will continue to post my progress.

@Ropeslinger great update! Sounds like you are doing very well.

Does your new bike have training wheels? :heehee: Easy does - no falling on that new hip!

Pretty surprising that the PT said bicycle riding is the best PT above walking. Learning to ride a bicycle while recovering from a THR poses a real challenge as falling and or twisting the leg is usually not recommended.

Pretty surprising that the PT said bicycle riding is the best PT above walking. Learning to ride a bicycle while recovering from a THR poses a real challenge as falling and or twisting the leg is usually not recommended.
I have full support of my surgeon, primary Dr and PT. I've been walking since 4 hrs after surgery and had my first half mile down by day 7 and full mile down by day 12!
I'm doing 4 miles on a stationary bike 2 times a day as well as walking 2 miles 2 times a day along with a full round of strengthening exercises. I've been stretching beyond 90° for a week now and tie my shoes with ease. Still working on crossing my thr leg over my other but getting there.
My one passion in life is being a horse back! Absolutely nothing will prevent me from getting back on a horse, no matter what it takes or how hard I have to work to get there! It's surprising just how fast the body will adapt when you get after it!
I'm 54 years old and do not have the time to waste sitting around waiting for everything to get better, only I can make it better and that requires work and drive.
I'm also a retired cop, I've been shot, stabbed and hit by a car (broken back, paralyzed from the waist down), I survived the Widowmaker heart attack in 2012, I survived MERS-COV2 in 2014 (5 months on a ventilator) and every time someone has said I wouldn't be able to do the things that like to do, or I would be on oxygen for the rest of my life, or I wouldn't walk again....sorry, I'll be the judge of that, not someone else!
Who says I have to follow a "rule book" for someone else's healing time?
The body is an amazing thing and so is our mind...we are our own worst enemies when it comes to healing. Our bodies will heal but it requires work, dedication, drive and sometimes sheer will and getting past the fear of something new.
I'm not saying what works for me can work for everyone but in the end, only I can make it happen for me!
I post my progress so maybe someone else can find their drive and get better. It's better to build someone up than to place doubt and slow them down.

I'm glad it's working well for you.
Best wishes for continued progress.

As you say, what works for you may not work for others. That's OK. Just listen to your body.

Our basic philosophy here is listen to your body @Ropeslinger. If your doing something that hurts, back off. If it doesn't bother you, you're fine and can take the next step forward. It' great to here that you are doing so well, the recovery we all want but aren't all destined to have!

Well, as life not so graciously intervenes at times... I have horses and needed to haul hay today, could not find any help with it and couldn't postpone it any longer. Horses can't carry their own feed so I had to do it myself! Loaded 18, 125lb bale's of alfalfa into my pickup then back to the barn to unload and stack. It took me the majority of the day for what is usually an hour job. Took my time, and was careful and all is good with no pain at all and pretty dang good exercise. Tomorrow is 7 weeks post-op and I haven't felt this good in some time.
I feel fortunate that my recovery has gone so well and better than expected.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. Best Wishes for a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Ropeslinger

@Layla Thank you! I'm doing excellent, getting better every day. Had my 8 week checkup with the surgeon and he's very happy with my progress so far. The bone has healed around the stem the risk of rotation on the stem has passed. He's lifted any restrictions and told me to start using my leg normally. I have still a lot of muscle work to do to overcome the severe atrophy from 5 months of no use prior to surgery but it's coming along well. I'm very happy with the results. Here's a 8 week photo of the new wheel.

Attachments

• 20210429_101719.jpg
    20210429_101719.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 148
Hey, I resemble that xray:heehee:
New hips rock!
Still early days... You still get there.
Hope your weekend is sweet

Checking in with an update...had a check up on June 17th, discussed some concerns I had with flexor tendon pain and popping and not being able to lift my leg from the floor while on my back. Surgeon tells me that there was a lot of damage and he had to do some tendon repairs while replacing my hip and that I would need some specialized PT for it. I'm now on my 6th PT session and can lift my leg almost 2ft from the floor which is very awesome. Still working hard to get back to normal and at this point I am further along than I expected and I am very happy with the results.

Might not seem like it @Ropeslinger but these are still early days in which you most likely will see improvements up to a year and after.
Awesome that you are benefitting from your PT.
Keep the Faith!

Might not seem like it @Ropeslinger but these are still early days in which you most likely will see improvements up to a year and after.
Awesome that you are benefitting from your PT.
Keep the Faith!

Oh I'm confident that it will improve. It's already so much better than before. I will say that those 5 months prior to surgery with no pain medication was extremely trying...
I'm greatful for all of the folks here, what an awesome support system everyone offers...made all the difference to me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie