Bilateral THR Boxerdad67's Recovery Thread

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Well it’s been almost 5 weeks since my BTHR this is unbelievable so far. I can’t explain how good this feels each and every day. No canes no walkers just out going, driving, shopping pretty much anything I wanna do. I do take it slow and easy but I haven’t felt this good in 20 years. I’ll update again soon

Wow! What great news! I am so happy for you @Boxerdad67 !! The hip replacement is a surgery that has been well perfected, for the most part. We live in a good time for having bad hips!
I bet you are so so glad you did them at the same time!

Splendid to see your post.
:happydance::egypdance::happydance:
There can be so niggles aver the next few months, at least for me, but all were temporary and mostly just reminders when I got over zealous with my activity.
I love my new hips, too @Boxerdad67
Onward and upward...:yahoo:

What a wonderful update, you are doing so well! Glad that you're still taking it slow and easy, that really is the way to go!

I haven’t felt this good in 20 years

That says it all. Wonderful to read, so very happy for you, and to think it's going to get even better. :happydance:

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
Have a lovely weekend. :)

Hi @Boxerdad67
Hoping this finds you well.

The holidays will be so much sweeter without that bonecrunching hip pain.
Lots of improvement to come.
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:

So today is 6 weeks post op from my BTHR. I went back to work today at EMS on a light duty status doing mapping for our ambulances. Please don’t pinch me anyone as I still keep saying this is to good to be true and I don’t wanna wake up from this dream of no pain. I won’t bore you with extra details but I’m so blessed right now:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Whoa! Pretty early to return to work, as a bi-lateral especially. I hope mapping for your ambulance means mostly sitting while in the workplace. While it's recommended you take 12 weeks off work after THR, I understand that is not feasible for all.

You may find yourself fatigued by the time you get home simply from getting yourself to work and back plus any effort it takes while you're there. I hope your work colleagues go easy on you but we're often reminded here that since our co-workers haven't experienced this major surgery, themselves, they think when you're back, YOU'RE BACK and may treat you accordingly. I'll include the Phased Return to Work article from the BoneSmart Library so you have a better understanding of what I'm relaying.

I hope you have a great week and take the time to get the restorative rest your healing body still needs.
@Boxerdad67

Thank you @Layla. Yes mostly sitting and driving my Expedition around calculating and drawing points on a map. I have an appointment with my OS next week as my second follow up. I certainly don’t wanna overdo it so I’ll be looking for guidance from him next week to my recovery. Thanks for all the wonderful support here from everyone :):)

Happy you're feeling well enough to go back to work. If need be come home and ice, more ice and elevate. You're doing so well and want your holidays to be merry and bright.
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: :wreath:

Happy you're feeling well enough to go back to work. If need be come home and ice, more ice and elevate. You're doing so well and want your holidays to be merry and bright.
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: :wreath:
Thank you @Elf1 I’m only doing 5 to 6 hours a day and mostly desk work. I feel a little tired when I get home. I just feel so good it’s hard to not overdo it. I mean if I feel this good I can’t just stay stationary at home in a chair but I also don’t wanna screw anything up so what is the fine line here??? Thanks for your support

so what is the fine line here?

Feeling good and consequently overdoing it. Basically we need to balance activity with rest. There is a danger in overdoing it and then stalling your recovery due to pain. As long as you're sitting at work, not putting in full days and can rest, ice and elevate once home, not doing much else, you may be okay. I'd say if you begin experiencing more pain, or become more fatigued, you may then consider dialing it back.
Hope you have a nice Thursday and weekend!

I went back to work way too early, a tad earlier than you...mostly because it was necessary...it IS doable as long as you are extremely mindful and can do the things you need to so you dont undermine your body's ability to recover.
I sat with ice packs in my lap, got up often...but the energy drain was not good...so once home, I had to totally baby myself.
Rest, ice, elevate...
:ice::ice::ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back