Bow legged causes in adult -knee replacement

Rebeccaquery

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My dad legs are very bowed and he struggles to walk ect and requires both knees replacing.

It started in his 30's and has got worse over the years and he is now 50 and he struggles to walk more than a couple of minutes.

A few people at his workplace has bow legged and they have all worked there for years (my dad has worked there since he was 18)

He works on a raised platform for 13 hours shifts for 30+ years and wears workbooks each day. Do you think it his workplace environment that has caused this for him and others or is it just a coincidence? Anyone else had something similar?

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
You will notice that I moved your thread from the Knee Recovery Forum here to the Knee Pre-op forum. Your dad hasn't had a knee replacement yet.

I have no idea if the workplace has caused his knees to bow or not. This is something you can ask his doctor. I would think any long-term activity would affect our bodies, but whether it would cause bone and joint changes, I don't know.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
We don't know enough about your father to know if his work situation has caused his bow legs. Certainly, standing for 13 hours a day would be hard on anyone's knees.

However, it could be other conditions.

Some types of osteoarthritis can cause people to grow either bow-legged of knock-kneed.
Does your father have arthritis?
Does he have pain in his knees?
Are his work boots comfortable?

But, most importantly, has he talked to his doctor about this? His doctor would be more able than we are to say why your father has these problems.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Since your father needs his knees to be replaced, I think the most likely cause of his bow legs is his arthritis. Much of the bow-legged deformity can be corrected during the knee replacement surgery. Has he seen an orthopaedic surgeon yet, or got a date for replacement surgery?

He'll need to discuss his knees with his surgeon.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Livelaurel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom