ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

Both shoulders hurt

Cementless

senior
Country
United States United States
Arthritis in the shoulder does the same thing as knees and hips - the disease causes the cartilage to wear away and eventually you have bone on bone. But, because the shoulder is not a weight bearing joint, many people don't experience a lot of pain as the disease progresses. For them, it's more a loss of range of motion and strength.
@Jockette I have been reading your thread because both my shoulders have been bothering me lately. This is very informative. When I had my bone scan prior to my revision (to confirm loosening of the tibial implant) it showed that I had arthritis in both shoulders. I was surprised. My shoulders both hurt but I have good range of motion.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I don’t seem to have the range of motion I used to have, mostly just in the motion of reaching towards my feet, to put shoes and socks on.

I’m not sure is this is a shoulder issue, a hip issue, a back issue, or the weight I’ve gained, which is mostly in my stomach area, or all of the above.

I have never had my shoulders or hips looked at, so I don’t have a professional opinion, and I’m not in a hurry to get one.

marieltha

graduate
Country
Welcome to Shoulder World.
Strengthening the muscles around the shoulders helps. I did that for 5 years until a full-tear in Rotator Cuff needed repair. Should have gone for an OS exam sooner. Probably will need replacement within 10 years.
Keep getting checkups.
Good luck.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
It's always a good idea to get checked out if you notice something different with your joints or your body in general. After all, it's difficult to make the best decisions without all the pertinent information.

With shoulders in particular, as Marieltha mentioned, you can sometimes improve your functionality with therapy and exercises. I did that as well for many years. My surgeon was also able to do a bit of "cleanup" work that gave me years more before my replacement. The problem is different if you have pain. But if it's just range of motion, you can sometimes get by with waiting and altering your lifestyle.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
2Kittens
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom