BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Both Knees Replaced and Back to Basketball!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by raucher, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:17 PM.

1. raucher

raucher new member

Although I didn't post during my recovery from my two knee replacements in 2010 and 2013, I have spent a lot of time reading about recoveries on BoneSmart since 2010. Back at the beginning of my knee journey I was concerned that I had lost my ability to play basketball forever. Through the information I gained here on the forum, extensive pre-surgery strengthening and a structured post-op exercise program, I was able to return to playing full court competitive basketball three times a week for 3 hours each session. Now at age 67 I decided I wanted to tell my recovery story and let people know that it is possible to return to an active lifestyle after knee replacement surgery!

While I understand that not everyone wants to be as physically active as I am, I think for those of us who live this lifestyle, it is important to know there is hope that we can get a life back that includes physically demanding sports. My story of a return to full court competitive basketball was recently featured in a BoneSmart Spotlight article and I'm creating this thread to talk with anyone interested in my recovery details. I'm happy to share them with you and hopefully help others to a successful recovery.

If you are reading this thread and haven't checked out my Spotlight story, I suggest you do that first. You'll find plenty of details there about how I did it.

And then I'm ready to answer any questions my fellow BoneSmarties may have!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Congratulations on a very successful outcome!

3. Kperform

Kperform new member

United States United States
    Wow! I am inspired. I am 56 years old and played my last basketball game two years ago. I had my knee replaced 4 weeks ago and prior to my knee replacement I had a total of 12 knee surgeries between both knees. All stemming from my refusal to give up basketball. I love the sport and it has always been a big part of my life. My surgeon told me it would be possible to play basketball again but I have never met anyone who returned to basketball after a knee replacement until now. I am very interested in hearing more about what specifically you did to overcome the odds and return to the hardwood.

Thank you!

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @raucher Are those photos on Spotlight all of you? Can you let me have any better quality photos so I can copy your post into our Stories of amazing knee recoveries. We haven't had a fresh one in there for ages!!