Lounge Doctor

THR Both knees done . . . onto hip #1

GimpyGal

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi - I had hip replacement scheduled the end of October so I could enjoy the summer golfing - one of the only things that brings me in contact with my friends during Covid. It's easy to distance on the course. Then I got nervous about the increased cases expected in the fall and bumped it up to the first of October. Then, golf became too painful so my new date is July 27th. I'm greatly concerned about elective surgeries getting cancelled here in Utah before then, but all I can do is home for the best.

Bonesmart got me through both knee surgeries, so I'm here to educate myself on hips this time, soak up the support, and be as helpful as I can to those that follow me.

Having my pre-op tomorrow and then I'll know more about which procedure is planned for me, and get a dozen questions answered. But I'll read the articles here before I go.

Pumpkln

Country
@GimpyGal
Welcome to the hip pre op forum!

Generally hips are not as challenging as knees.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

Returning BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Hi @GimpyGal ! Only 11 days... hoping you can go through with it, sneaking under any looming gubernatorial wires. I hope you got at least a little golf in before the pain grew too bad!

You are one of the "lucky ones" who got knees out of the way first. I am not getting any younger, and am afraid that knees will be in my future arrgh.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Welcome to the Hip side!
Not long now until your date. Fingers crossed your surgery remains on schedule so you can lose the pain, heal, enjoy life...and golf again. :yes:
Best Wishes for your pre-op today!
@GimpyGal

OP
OP
GimpyGal

GimpyGal

senior
Country
Well another bump in the road as I had to be rescheduled. So surgery date #4 is now August 11th, if a moderator can change that?

On Tuesday I had some pretty invasive dental work unexpectedly - the removal of a molar and bone grafts and when I disclosed this to the surgeon today it was a game changer. He wants a full month between that procedure and the HR and that four week mark is August 11th. Which just so happens to be a day he does not operate, but he reserve the OR for my surgery before I left since he was booking out to late September.

Between my dentist and his nurse, who gave up their lunch hours to see me immediately because of my impending surgery, and a surgeon who is making this happen, safely, as soon as possible I feel very fortunate. Now to keep our Covid numbers down far enough that they don't cancel elective procedures. Always something to worry about!

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Oh my word @GimpyGal what a mish-mosh! I am also thankful for your dental team-- I lost a crown once (not really lost; it fell out but I rescued it!) and my dentist came to work on a Saturday for me. Dentists are the best!

yes, keep covid numbers on the way down so August 11 works for you!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the hippy side. I, too, had my knees done and then my hips must have gotten jealous and started hurting. In fact I see we both had knees replaced in 2013 - must be why your name sounded somewhat familiar. Sounds like you have a wonderful surgeon in his willingness to get you in as soon as possible. The hips are much easier for recovery and this is coming from someone who had quite nice knee recoveries. Looking forward to reading about yours and what you find as a comparison.

OP
OP
GimpyGal

GimpyGal

senior
Country
Haven't forgotten BoneSmart but I've been delayed yet again due to dental work. Now what I call my 'penciled in date' (date #5, actually) is August 31st and I'm even wary about that since I seem to have another bad tooth to deal with. Pretty discouraging. I don't want to be obsessed with preparing if it's still months away, but once I feel confident of the date, I'll be here regularly.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So sorry your date is once again delayed! Hope all that dental work is resolved very soon. Hang in there!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Very sorry you have another delay and need more dental work. I hope all resolves quickly and you can proceed with preparing for your hip replacement.

OP
OP
GimpyGal

GimpyGal

senior
Country
Thanks! I wanna be a Hotshot!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I've put your name on the August Hot Shots surgery list. I do hope you get to be a Hot Shot. :fingersx:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
carumba
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom