THR Both Hips

Isalee

Country
United States United States
I’m happy I found this forum. I had right hip replacement in June then left hip replacement in December. My right hip recovery went well except for stiffness after sitting. Now I have stiffness in both hips and some pain in my legs and knees if I bend over to pick up something. From reading some of the other posts the stiffness will eventually go away but what about the pain when I bend over. I’m a little concerned.

Hello @Isalee and welcome. I know others will be along shortly to give you advice on your pain when bending. I have tagged @Josephine in. She will probably have further questions for you and she will want to know the exact dates of your surgery’s and probably whether they were anterior or posterior.

From a personal note I still have some stiffness after sitting which I think it perfectly normal. I also get some pain when I move my body where it’s not ready to go yet. I accept this as normal at my stage of recovery as I have no pain at other times.

Wishing you well with your recovery

@Isalee Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you please give us your surgery dates. I'll pop them in your signature.

Is the pain when bending in both hips. If you have your left hip replaced in December it's still early days. Stiffness and discomfort will ease in time but recovery from THR can take up to a year or more.

I'll give you some reading to do while you are waiting for Josephine.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had right hip replacement in June then left hip replacement in December
@Isalee can you please tell me the actual dates of your surgeries?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

@Isalee
Hi our surgeries were about the same time. First one May 1 (right)and second September 11. Both surgeries were posterior. I can honestly say I have never felt better.

The stiffness is still happens after long periods of sitting. Other than that no complaints. I have been able to go back to the gym, using the elliptical, treadmill (@ a 3 incline) an strengthening machines. Biggest secret for me is to stretch regularly.

Each month things have become easier. It felt like after second one was done the recovery was a little faster. I think because the pain in left hip was gone, making movement easier.

I wish you the best and am watching your post.

Did you experience any depression? Just curious. I did. I had not read about it until it started happening. Glad to say, it is gone.

Happy Day

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi @Isalee. Bending pain started going away with my right hip after a few months. The internal healing just takes time. Not doing much bending yet with right hip other than sitting. Unfortunately, time just takes time.

However, it does not hurt to double check. Josephine gives very good advice and helps us figure out when things are normal and when we should get them checked.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom