THR Both hips replaced: pain after a year<

profberta

Country
United States United States
Hi, everyone! I had my left hip replaced in June of 2017 and my right hip replaced exactly a year later. My recovery seemed to be going well until this past January when I went to NYC for a week and walked a lot! From then on, I've been dealing with pain in my right thigh bone. I went to see my surgeon last week and my x-ray looked fine, he said, but he's concerned that the titanium rod has loosened. He pressed hard on my thigh and I didn't feel pain. I only feel pain after I've walked or stood. And even then, it's intermittent. He's ordered a bone scan with contrasts. If it's loosened, he will have to go back in and replace it. If it hasn't, he said that it's probably muscular and that PT will help. I've been reading the posts and they are helpful. Just thought I'd put my story out there and see what y'all have to say. :)

Hi @profberta
Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm happy you joined us and shared your story.
I'm a tad confused by your dates. Would you please clarify when you had each hip done?
A moderator will then add it as your signature.

Wondering if you have a current x-ray you could post for Nurse @Josephine to look at.
She may be able to offer you some advice through viewing your x-ray and asking you some questions.
Here is a link on how to post an x-ray if you have one, or can get a copy.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/a-few-tips-on-posting-xrays.23055/
I hope you soon find answers and relief from your pain.

• Agree
Reactions: REM
Thanks, Layla! My left hip was replaced on June 20, 2016, and my right hip was replaced on June 19, 2017. They were both total hip replacements, anterior approach.

Here's my x-ray!!

IMG_1098.jpg

Thanks for being so prompt.
Josephine is in the UK. Not sure where you are. Just so you're aware there may be a time difference.
She will get back with you at her earliest convenience, so please check back.
Your surgery dates will be added as your signature.
A great rest of the week to you!

profberta, that xray is not useful to me. It's a lateral view, meaning from the side. I really need an AP view similar to this so I can get a good look at it. (The size of yours was okay, btw)

cement in trochanter.jpg

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Josephine, Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, that's the only recent x-ray that I have. I would be happy to answer your questions!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1. Anterior

2. When I feel the pain (it's intermittent but when it happens, it's always because I've been standing or walking), it's 4-5.

3. I'm more than a year out from my surgery so have been off prescribed meds for many months. When I remember, I take Extra-Strength Tylenol.

4. Yes, I do ice when I feel pain.

5. Nope, not elevating.

6. I am a teacher, and I'm on summer vacation right now. When I teach, I walk around and stand for approximately four hours, four days a week. While I'm on vacation, I putter around the house, cleaning and organizing for a couple of hours a day. I do weight lifting and circuit training for 30 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week. I like to take walks but have not been able to handle that lately. When I can, it's usually less than a mile because of the pain.

7. I do not do any exercises at home. My trainer suggested that I use a roller on my hips, but I read on this forum that it's not very helpful and it's pretty painful so I stopped.

Please let me know if I need to be more specific regarding any of these questions.

I had my bone scan today and will get the results on 7/16 when I see my OS again.

2. When I feel the pain (it's intermittent but when it happens, it's always because I've been standing or walking), it's 4-5.
Well that's not canny bit of pain considering you are a year out!
3. I'm more than a year out from my surgery so have been off prescribed meds for many months. When I remember, I take Extra-Strength Tylenol.
! tablet is no good at all! I suggest you take 2 tablets - 1,000mg - so it's worthwhile taking them.
4. Yes, I do ice when I feel pain.
Okay
5. Nope, not elevating.
okay
6. I am a teacher, and I'm on summer vacation right now. When I teach, I walk around and stand for approximately four hours, four days a week. While I'm on vacation, I putter around the house, cleaning and organizing for a couple of hours a day. I do weight lifting and circuit training for 30 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week. I like to take walks but have not been able to handle that lately. When I can, it's usually less than a mile because of the pain.
Okay
7. I do not do any exercises at home. My trainer suggested that I use a roller on my hips, but I read on this forum that it's not very helpful and it's pretty painful so I stopped.
Ah, well that's okay then.

And finally, can you show me the site of this pain using this chart?

aa hip-references-horz.jpg
q

WR2F, XR2F, YR2F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh so here then?

profberta.jpg

I do weight lifting and circuit training for 30 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week. I like to take walks but have not been able to handle that lately. When I can, it's usually less than a mile because of the pain.
This would explain it! Specially the weight lifting and circuit training! Because that site is the quads!

Yes, that’s where the pain is.

If it’s the exercise, wouldn’t the other leg hurt the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi....I have almost identical situation . First hip done May 2017...2nd Nov 1st..2017. First (the right) no problems. Amazing. The left went well, but almost 9 months out...still having pain and aching around incision, also still have swelling. I do weight training..2-3 times a week, and walk or do elliptical other days. I'm wondering if the stress of weight training lower body is the culprit here. Thanks very much....

Not necessarily because your operated leg is weaker and more susceptible to strain and tendinitis.

Update: I just saw my OS and got the results of my bone scan. He said there is "something going on" in the stem. It's either an infection or the stem has loosened. He ordered blood work and an indium bone scan. Either way, I'm destined for another surgery. :gaah:

Has anyone else had experience with this kind of an infection?

Lots and lots of members! Have a look in the forum and you will see some threads with the
infection hip.JPG
prefix. Click on that red tab and you will get a search of every thread with that prefix.

@profberta hoping against hope it is not an infection for you, but if it is there are many of us to help you through. Keeping everything crossed, big hugsxxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts