TKR Both hips and now my knee

Dmcfad2

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hello. I have been on this forum before and it helped me a lot when I had my hip surgeries. I have had both hips replaced, one in 2014 and one in 2021. Now it is looking like I will need my left knee done. I have an appointment with an orthopedic doc tomorrow and I already know he will recommend it, as I have been dealing with this knee pain off and on for 5 years. In the beginning, my arthritis was mild to moderate. I have had two surgeons tell me that I will know when it is time for a new knee. I have been taking cortisone shots every few months. They last for awhile, but the pain always comes back. For the last 2 1/2 weeks, the pain has been really bad and I can hardly walk. I went to urgent care and my X-rays now show severe arthritis in my knee, so I think it’s time. My question is for those who have had both hips and knees done. Did you find recovery takes longer because you already have an artificial hip or does it make any difference? I will be posting here now as I prepare for yet another surgery. Yikes. How did my joints get so messed up? I have always been active and used to run before my hip surgeries. Maybe that’s why? Anyway, it is what it is. I would appreciate hearing the experiences of anyone who has had both hips and knees done. Thank you!

Hi Debbie,
Welcome to the Knee side of the forum.
Sorry you have to go through all of this again, but you know the benefits of joint replacement through experience.
I am sure you'll soon hear from many that have experienced both THR and TKR's. I will leave you some pre op info to read. Let us know how your appointment goes. Best Wishes!

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries
@Dmcfad2

Hello :) I had my right hip replaced in 2014, and my right knee replaced almost 4 weeks ago. (I will also have my left knee done soon). The hip has caused no issues for the surgery or the knee, though the knee had begun to make my hip hurt a bit.

@FionaW Thank you for answering. I am just nervous. When I had my left hip done 9 years ago, my recovery was pretty long. I had a lot of thigh pain after the surgery. It finally subsided, but it took a few years. So, now that it’s my left knee, I worry about that kind of pain again, since it is the same leg. on the other hand, my right hip was a breeze. So, I do know every surgery is different. How are you doing since your recent knee surgery? Hoping it is going well for you!

@Layla Hello and thanks for your response. We have communicated before and it is nice to see you still here!

@Dmcfad2 I was terrified. My expectations for knee surgery were pretty poor, and it hasn’t been anything like as bad as I expected, so far. It’s early days, of course - my hip recovery took about 6 months and it has only been 4 weeks since this knee surgery, and I still have the other to do. But so far, so good. :flwrysmile:

I have my 4-pack! Both hips and both knees. However, I had the knees done first, then the hips. I found this forum prior to my first surgery and like you, I found it very helpful.

All I can say is, keep on top of the pain post op, stick to the schedule for your pain meds. If even with them on board you find the pain unbearable, speak up, speak out! I am on my own and it is very hard to advocate for ourselves. I had a tough time with pain my first knee (first surgery too). Before doing the 2d knee I met with the surgeon and said I can NOT go through that level of pain again. He sent me to a pain management doctor at the hospital, and she made some adjustments to the regimen / schedule for my pills. It helped!

There are things they can do to help you. And after your recovery, you will be living life pain free. WORTH IT!!!

I saw the ortho surgeon two days ago. He said he wants me to wait a bit longer for surgery. I have a recent history of two bacterial infections from minor cuts and he is concerned about doing surgery right now because of that. He wants me to have my immune system checked out. I don’t even know where to start with that. He gave me an HA injection. I’ve never had that before and today my pain is worse than ever. I can’t even put weight on my knee. Has anyone had experience with this type of injection? Do you think it will get better in the next few days. I don’t know what to do at this point. I’m so tired of sitting around because of this knee pain.

@Dmcfad2 So sorry you have to wait for surgery! I guess it is a good precaution with your history. But frustrating!

It's hard to say if this injection will buy you a bit of time. Typically an injection can irritate an angry joint. And it can take some time to see results (a week to 10 days). Are you icing that knee?

He gave me an HA injection.
Welcome back to BoneSmart, @Dmcfad2, although I'm sorry to read you are now facing knee surgery.

I had HA injections in both of my knees in an attempt to delay surgery. It did help slightly with my left knee, but did nothing for my right knee (which was in worse shape). I was told the reason the result was so different is that there was still some viable cartilage in the left knee, while the right was bone-on-bone.

And yes, the day after the injections, my knees hurt quite a lot and it took about two weeks before I felt any improvement in the left knee.

Hope the HA gives you some relief while you wait!

@Jaycey @benne68 Thanks for your replies. I am icing my knee. I will say that, all of a sudden, this afternoon I am noticing that me knee is feeling better. Not gone, but definitely improved. It's been 4 days since my injection. Hoping this is a good sign. I do have some cartilage left, so maybe it will work. I am happy to put off surgery as long as I'm not in pain!

Hello! I’ve had both hips & both knees replaced and had easy recoveries with all. I’m happy to answer any questions.

Marie

Glad to read that the pain is easing, @Dmcfad2. Hope the HA does delay the need for that TKR.
We're here for you either way. :flwrysmile:

Hi Debbie! I had bilateral hips done in 2003 and they are still doing great! My knees came almost a decade later. Because you've had both hips done, I think you will find your recovery from the knee a bit more reliable because you can trust the support you will have from your hips. Will the recovery be easier than the hips - probably not, simply because they are doing so much more "construction" in a smaller area. However, you have found BoneSmart and you know the wonderful resources and support you will have as you go through this.

You mention cortisone shots which are not as effective now as they were. Understandable. I delayed the inevitable for nearly 4 years with "rooster comb" injections - hyaluronic acid injections. Has your OS mentioned those? I was able to get 4-6 months of relief from those. However, the bottom line as some many on here will tell you, when the pain affects your quality of life, why wait? It pain isn't going to get better. I wish I had not put it off.

One thought to improve your recovery: start doing some of the exercises to tighten your glutes now - they tend to be the ones that deteriorate a bit more after surgery and you want them strong.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks