PKR Boredom, self-pity, pain and frustration

It seems we just get a couple of good(ish) days and then bham back a few steps. I have had a horrid day today, felt really nausea this morning, hubby thinks I am not eating enough, don't want dinners but ok with small snacks. Felt better after a sandwich at lunch time. Plus, fed up with pain, stiff, sore, swelling just want it to stop. Really hate feeling low but suppose its part of our recovery? You know what's good though, knowing you fabulous people are around and when we listen to each other's problems it seems to give a little lift. We have to stay focussed and persevere. Wish all of us well xx

It sounds pretty much like my first knee. Things suddenly got better at 8 weeks, but there is no way I would have considered driving to France. If you do, maybe sit in the back of the car with your leg up, take some of those instant ice packs and plenty of breaks so you can stretch your legs.

If you have a car where the front seat back goes nearly flat you could do what my daughter-in-law did and pack it out with pillows and duvets so you can sit in the back and rest your leg on the front seat. Good luck.

I have ordered a couple of ice packs I can use and have told hubby we will have to stop every hour or so in order for me to walk a bit. Already made sure the back seat will be available so I think I have covered everything. It will depend on surgeon though, I will take his advice.

Charting my meds was very helpful. We used 'time given' for each medication, strength and dose. Then directly under that info on the chart was the 'ask time' which was when the medication could be given again. My son created a spreadsheet for charting and also used a white board that was easy for me to see when I could take my next oxy. This charting was fashioned from how the nurses charted my meds during my 23 hour overnight observation stay after my surgery.

Are you seeing your surgeon before you decide to head for France? They should be able to talk with you about the pain you’re having. A month out, it is likely that it’s normal, but hearing that should be helpful.

Makes me want to ask how Brexit will affect your health care while spending time at your house in France? And is that a bad question on this forum. If so, don’t answer it.

I am so ready to be out the other end of this recovery. It will be 5 wks tomorrow and though I can see progress, I too am tired of the stiffness and unexpected pain. There‘s so much I want to do but discomfort limits this. I try to work out within reason and elevate with ice, though by 6pm everyday the pain returns and I‘m “toast” till bedtime. Am so impatient with it all.

@Josie1054 hang in there! Keep track of your progress and remember this is more like a marathon (which I would NEVER do)

Thanks “New”, you’re right! I see you had your surgeries almost back to back,
Hope you are doing well!

Mid April we‘re driving from SW France to England, which we did at the same point post knee last year, and I was able to do my share (a third) of the driving so hope to this time although today, just 4 weeks on, I haven’t yet tried. Need to as husband is hoping I’ll drive him back from a lunch with lots of wine on Sunday!

Henrietta - designated driver - welcome to my world!! I cannot drink much, if at all, since the menopause, which is rotten when spending 6 months of the year in France. I wonder how close you are to me in France - I am on the Charente/Dordogne border. My biggest nearest hospital would be Angouleme ?
Helizabug - not too sure what will happen healthwise after the end of the year, at the moment I could use EHIC or if necessary I could pay and claim cost back from NHS but that is now going to change I imagine.
Knee wise things are looking up. I cannot believe I am saying this but the worst seems to have passed and I feel so much happier. 4 weeks yesterday so too soon to know if I am out of the woods yet but definitely seeing gaps between the trees (OK as metaphors go that's not great but it is the best I can do at this time of the day) Onward and upward.

Helizabug and Loobs39, concerning the driving, I drove round the block yesterday to check I can manage driving husband back from lunch in nearby village. Glad to say this-will be ok, not ready for longer trip yet though, although hoping I will be for when we go back to England in April.
As far as health care is concerned, we are resident in France now so part of their system. Pay to a mutuelle monthly, and apart from a bill for 8 euros received yesterday (and part of the cost of the pre op appointments) have paid nothing more for the knee op.
Loobs 39 do you need to look into whether your EHIC card still works now we’re post Jan 31st? I read a lot about these matters but of course from my point of view, living here. You’ll have travel insurance as well? Probably won’t need any of it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry isn’t it.
i know where Angoulême hospital is, we drive past it on the way up to Caen. A nice part of the world. Our nearest big hospital, where I went for my op, is Libourne, near Bordeaux. We’re on the border of Dordogne, and the Gironde.
sorry that drinking doesn’t agree with you anymore, that is sad!
Glad you’re feeling better now. My experience is that the first 4 weeks are the worst, then things begin to improve.

Sorry, Loobs39, only just read your Monday post. When do you see your surgeon. And physio? I suppose they’re the people who can advise on whether those pains your having are normal or not. It’s hard to tell isn’t it?
My knee is very stiff if I try to bend it, and it still needs ice at night but the pain isn’t too bad. (Mind you, being retired in France means we lead a fairly laid back life and staying in bed late sometimes happened even before the op. I know that if I was in England I’d have more to do and want to be up and out and doing things more.)
Wishing you well.

Loobs39 are you still coming to France. We’ve decided not to go back to England for now, due to the virus.

It is seeming unlikely, sadly. We were going to come over in around 20 days and stay for 6 weeks or so with both daughters and 4 grandchildren coming for Easter but probably not going to happen now.
I am really happy with progress of my knee - I currently have sciatica (stood up awkwadly) and as a consequence keep forgetting about my knee - wouldn't have believed that possible just a week ago. Hope you are doing OK?

Very sorry you aren’t coming to see family, but I think it’s the right decision.
we had so much to do in England, but it can wait. Also means I’m doing things in France which I haven’t so far, eg french optician.
glad your knee is doing well. Sorry about the sciatica.i have back pain esp when I get up in the morning. Need to lose weight I think. Not 100% but pleased with progress, getting there.
Just heard all non essential shops, restaurants are closing from tomorrow so you obviously did make the right decision.

how are you doing. I know you probably didn’t come to France. We haven’t got to England. I had an on line appt with a physio in England as couldn’t be there in reality. Worked really well! Best wishes, H

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom