Booked in and waiting for a date....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jetthugger and Fernie,
I can relate to what Fernie says about the old hag lulling you into a sense of false security, my knees have been better in the last few days that they have in living memory. I think it is partly because I am off work and chilling. It does make you think those, ' why am I doing this' thoughts.
I am however going for it, no backing out now. I think we make so many adaptations to out lives as we go, booking extra leg room seats, pushing up with our arms etc .
Hope you have a good appointment today Jetthugger, we can swap notes later. :sleep: :sleep: :mcoffee: now. Woo Hoo
Toothfairy x

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!! :tantrum: :yikes: :hairpulling: My old (and now I know faulty) bathroom scales have been LYING to me!!!!! Not only am I an inch shorter than in my youth (now 5'9") I am a full 2 stones HEAVIER than I thought I was - and that's AFTER losing 2 stone when I bust up my ribs & pleurisy over Christmas!!!! Otherwise, the day went well, as long as all the swabs, fluids & such are ok, I'm on track for a coated thingy (wasn't paying much attention) staples to the wound & a young over enthusiastic assistant surgeon who claims tha as they bend my knee to a 130' in surgery, there's no reason why I can't 'push through the pain' & do it post op!! (I murmured something about swelling reducing that) but chose just to smile sweetly as he gleefully ran through the things that could go wrong including nerve damage, blood loss and death!!! (had a definite smile at that) luckily, my lovely OS chose that moment to burst through the door & reassure me that he'd got me a lovely implant, which should last me many decades!! :dancy: :happydance: :dancy: :yay: Hag reared it's guy head & back on painkillers, the two pain free days now a fond memory!! Off to repack my bag before hubby takes me out for a midweek meal (low calorie I promise!!) :angel:

scales lie.jpg
Remember that no matter what they say---they LIE! It's our only hope.
It's amazing how gravity works against us---makes us shorter--when it should be making us thinner:heehee:

That speech about what could go wrong reminds me of the drug ads that list all the possible side effects which make you know you don't ever want to take any of that stuff---very off putting.

Try to relax a bit---you'll be so exhausted by surgery time, they won't need to give you drugs to put you to sleep!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. valentine cat 6.jpg

Oh jetthugger! My scales lie as well :heehee:.

Good news is that I've officially grown back the inch I lost with my knee deformity since I've had it done :yes!:

I'M glad you have a nice durable implant with your name on :yahoo: And I bet it was reassuring to know it will bent to 130 in surgery (really?) :what:.

I hope you have a lovely supper tonight.... Dont forget to pack that bag again :wink: !!!

Take care, Fernie x

Hello Jetthugger, well what a day you have had, and inch shorter, is it those extra 2 stones that are holding you down! Maybe it is the hospital scales that are wrong...... :sigh:
As is mentioned elsewhere on this site so many times it is only a number, you are not any heavier than you were before, you just feel heavier because a different number has been mentioned.
As Fernie mentioned you may regain the height after the op and also may lose the extra baggage along the way. :happydance:
I am pleased your Pre op went well. Did they give you lots of info to read?
Now you can concentrate on chilling and enjoying life to the full before the op.
Enjoy your evening out,
Glad to know you are coming along for the ride, you might even get there before me as I was told this afternoon that they have been cancelling ops due to bed shortages, :yikes:
Hoping mine goes ahead, fingers crossed.
I have done bag pack number one today, both bags. Well reassess tomorrow and rearrange!,
Big nervous hug,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:

Hi Jetthugger, how are you doing? Apart from failing miserably in the packing game I am otherwise fine and pleased to be on the brink of crossing over for the first time to the recovery thread.
I have tempted fate by starting my recovery thread, here's hoping it is not premature.
I hope everything is going well for you. Take care of yourself and have a lovely weekend,
Love Toothfairy x :cheers: :yes!: :friends:

Thank you Sarah, that gave me a giggle this morning,
Hope all is well with you, take care, Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:

Sarah!! Oh that's sooo funny!!! :rotfl: Toothfairy, bestist of best wishes today!! Not quite D-Day, more like Knee-Day!!!! I'm there with you in spirit today, holding your hand. Will see you in post - op in a bit!!! :friends:

OK, two weeks encounting..... Have found a new name for when the old hag is replaced with the coated somethingorother - it will be called Gort (the robot thingy out of "The Day The Earth Stood Still") - still working on my post op thread title, will have a good think when wide awake at 3am (again!) I think Gort will be a good name, as it embodies strength, silence and indestructability!!! Ha haaaa, totally needed as the creaky clicky crunchy old hag has plagued me for far too long!! Haven't repacked my bag in a while....... :whistle: After reading about the two suitcases worth that Toothfairy packed I reckon I may revisit mine again! :rotfl: :heehee: :rotfl: Take care all my bonesmartie friends, both pre & post op!! Hugs to you all!! :puppysmooze: :friends:

Hi jetthugger,
What I have needed so far, nightie, handeipes, meds, hospital paperwork. Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, flannel, sense of humour. Slippers. Book, phone. Tissues, holding hand. Lovely nurse held my hand and stayed with me for a while today when pain and lack of sleep got the better of me. I am so impressed with the staff.
Night x
Toothfairy x

That's handy to know Toothfairy! My name is Alison, by the way. Hope you have a decent nights sleep. :puppysmooze:

Alison the time is sure getting closer now isn't it? I can't believe it's March already!!!! I love the fact that you've thought of a name for your shiny new knee. I haven't even thought of what to pack yet - thanks Toothfairy for the update on what you've needed already. I'm not sure I'm going to bring a book, because I already know that my eyes don't focus well while on strong pain medication. I'm hoping the internet and tv will be enough entertainment for when I'm not zonked out. :zzz:

Hi Sarah, reckon I will take a book, if only to help me sleep!! I can't quite get a grip on the "week Friday is my last day in work" bit. I have sooo much to do, sometimes I just sit there staring at it all!! Planning a few yummy meals on the weekend before, give me something to look back to when eating hubby's kitchen creations :rotfl: :heehee: luckily I can quite easily live on chimp food, bananas, fruit, nuts etc... So won't starve! Plus my son has offered to 'look after' me when hubby goes away for a week in April - he cooks really nice veggie meals, so will be meat-free for a week (till I crave a bacon butty!) I'm not great with TV, but I have the whole box set of Boston Legal & will happily spend my opiated days ogling James Spader & sniggering at the marvellous Bill Shatner AKA The Shat :giggle: Here's to us both having a new knee on 18th!! :cheers:

I think I must be in denial, because I am not really preparing anything yet! I have meals to make, bags to pack, rooms to rearrange, a garage to clean, bills to pre-pay but here I sit with ice on my knee after a very long, long day at school.

This is actually my last week of classes until next year! :yikes: Wow, that makes my stomach flip just typing it. Then I have another week of evaluating/administrative work.

Just think, come July we will be enjoying summer and feeling much better with our shiny new knees!! :ok:

Yes, I really wouldn't stress about it, I always think that things happen in their own time, whether we are running around frantically, or are just standing watching the world go by!! Booked a half day off this afternoon, the old hag playing up something rotten. Reckon it's the last diva fit before it gets replaced by Gort, the Shiny. I have therefore made a lasagne, a veggie lasagne & a chicken leek, mushroom & asparagus pie to freeze for when hubby gets fed up of doing a Gordon Ramsay (well, the swearing bit anyway) :whistle: And I get too wary of his kitchen creations!! May repack my bag again later :rotfl: :heehee: Keeps me sane at the moment. Every time they talk about it in work, I feel a lump in my throat & my eyes start to brn, so quickly cangethe subject to something less daunting! I am soooo looking forward to being in my big swing chair & lounging lazily this summer (and more importantly, being able to get out of it with some dignity!!) :bicycle2: :yawn:

Our your menu sounds delicious - especially the chicken, leek, mushroom and asparagus pie! YUM!! I am very, very fortunate to have a husband that not only loves to cook, but is a fine good one at that. He makes a terrible mess in the process, but I figure I won't be in the kitchen much to notice. :heehee:

I too am having times where my mind gets the best of me and I need to quickly change the subject. Normally that's when I get hyper focused and get many things accomplished (expending all that nervous energy by avoiding thinking) but my knee has been very grumpy lately leaving me to sit here in the chair and think, think, think.

:rotfl:The comment about getting out of your chair with dignity, I know exactly what you mean! I can not wait to some day move around like a 38 year old (even my students have been comparing me to their Grams lately!)

Hi Sarah,
My husband sounds just like yours in the kitchen, I try to overlook the mess considering he is so helpful in many ways.
Sorry to hear that the knee is acting up along with your emotions.
Yes, as time gets closer, the tears were close till one day that damn broke but the support of the forum was here to help and made a huge difference. We will be here when you need us.
Warm hugs to you tonight,

Kim :thankyou:

How are you feeling these days? I hope you are hanging in there mentally and emotionally as the big day gets closer. Do you have any pre-op appointments left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics