Booked in and waiting for a date....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a total lack of patience post-op as I MUST daily shoot my bow, play with my two 100lb labs, do yard chores, etc. I absolutly hate sitting around waiting for healing to take place

I am much like you--I have four labs/lab mixes, and I am a very, very active person. One thing that I learned, though, after my BTKR was that I had to reach deep down inside of myself to find the patience necessary to go through rehab/recovery. Your recovery may be a little slower than you would like it to be, and it would be in your best interest to recognize that the surgery will require you to take it easy for a while---the more you do on your surgical knee, the slower your recovery will be, and then, you will become even more frustrated.

We have to learn to temporarily set aside some of the activities in our lives so that recovery can successfully take place.

After recovery, though, you will be totally amazed at how much more enjoyable those activities are! No pain, no stiffness, and those labbies will enjoy it even more, too!

Thanks for your kind reply and advice. After other ops I have either cut the therapy short or done it on my own. In this case after reading about post op conditions I trust in your words and will TRY to be patient and avail myself of all therapy.

ai1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa394_referee54_kungfu.jpg

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!!

Well, folks, I finally have had my date confirmed!! 18th March - 21 days away......eeeek!!!! :yikes: Makes it all so real, doesn't it? Got my pre-op on Wednesday. Got my list of things to ask (I think the anaesthetist will get a good 20 questions at least!!!) any tips on really good questions? (oh and ok put the tin lid on it, the old hag has been on best behaviour all day!!!) :gaah: :heehee:

Wow Jetthugger, Hooray, I am so pleased for you. :happydance: Dd they phone you or was it a letter?
Somehow even though you have waited and waited for this it still comes as a shock. :yikes:
Yes it suddenly all becomes real. I am so excited for you, not too far behind me.
I have consultant appointment to sign consents on Wed too.
I am glad you don't have too long to think about it! You are so organised already anyway!
If you are anything like me your emotions will swing about a bit, it was at this stage that I tried to talk myself out of it!
Hooray again, the waiting is nearly over!!!!
Toothfairy
Big hugs,
X :cheers: :flwrysmile:

:dancy: In just 21 days, your recovery can begin!! Do you have a surgical time as well?

Here are some of the questions I asked at my pre-op:
  • Will my incision be closed with stitches, staples or glue?
  • What is the pain management protocol? (What if I need more or different meds?)
  • Which type of blood thinner is prescribed (oral or injection)?
  • Any sleep restrictions? (Position)
  • Best suggestions for elevation?
  • Can I over ice my knee with the polar care system I'll be send home with?
  • Is there any regular phone calls or concerns that patients seem to have post-surgery that can be addressed now?
  • Should I fear PT (this was my test to see how close the OS follows the Bonesmart mantra!)?
  • What type of anaesthesia will be used (and why it's preferred)?
Let us know how it goes!

Congradulations on finally getting your date. I am so excited for you. I'm just 3 days behind you on the 21 of March. :)

Hi forevergimpy,
Those are useful for me too. I have my consultants appointment on Wednesday with surgery to follow on Saturday. May sound strange but I have not been thinking about questions to ask, mainly because I have been very busy and also I have been given lots of info already that answers many of these but I will happily use your list to check! Thank you. Hope you are well and that your preparations for your op are coming along nicely. We can all travel along the recovery roller coaster together.
Toothfairy x
:cheers:

The key thing I need to sort out is which knee I am having done first. I am planning for my left unless the surgeon has a very good reason for doing the right first.
Toothfairy x
:yay:

Hi Tanksgram, I will watch out for you on the recovery journey, take care,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:

Oh, believe me Toothfairy, I will be hanging on to your coat-tails!!! They phoned me (I was sitting on the loo in work playing cards on my iPhone-find it helps) I'm really really pleased that I am close to you and there are quite a lot of March musketeers!! Must be a spring thing... I certainly don't feel organised!!!! All of the 'prepare food' etc has passed me by (though I'm quite happy having apple & cheese for lunch) & feel perfectly capable of bunging a jacket spud in the oven! Still working on my question list, but frankly, my mind went blank for most of the afternoon, luckily, my lovely boss understands (me) completely!! Hopefully all I really need to do is arrange for family & friends to walk my two dogs... Not long for you now huh??? :puppysmooze:

Hi Jetthugger, you made me laugh :rotfl: that is one way to remember how you heard the news! I would never do such a thing....... :whistle:
You have your bag packed!
I am not worried about food etc, my husband is very capable on that front. Hope you get your dogs sorted. We don't have that problem having a very elderly and lazy cat who sleeps most of the time and moans and eats the remaining few minutes of the day, sounds like me after TKR!
I have only 5 sleeps to go, :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :mcoffee:
Have started getting a bit organised, bought a little deodorant and some hand wipes today, thinking about my packing list. I will go to an admissions ward then be transferred to a ward after surgery so plan to take as little as possible in bag one and then have bag 2 with more supplies brought to the ward.
Just need to decide what to put in the bags. I have my green meds bag filled and all the supplements labelled ( used those freebie address labels that arrive in the post)
I have also updated my iPhone today with when I need to stop eating, :yikes: use my hibiscrub plus, etc etc.
will you have oral anticoagulants or injections? I have oral for two weeks. So much to look forward too.
I expect that you are relived that the endless waiting is over,
Big hug, continue the countdown, 5..4..3..2..1....Knee day. Hooray.
Toothfairy x

Thanks, Pam! I'm imagining that we all hold virtual hands while we go on this journey. Toothfairy, it's sooo much better that we are not doing this alone! Thanks for the list Sarah!, will certainly add it to mine.. Was down to donate blood on 13/3/13, can't imagine that the answer to ThAT question will come without a snort of derision!! ("is it ok if I still.....?) not bothering with toe/fingernail questions & I'm lucky enough not to need to shave my legs very often! Toothfairy, your 'two bag' idea is brilliant!! I certainly was worried about my iPad,iPod,iPhone & kindle & although I think I can take my iPod into theatre, I'm pretty sure they will refuse the rest of my kit!! See?? Nervous waffling now. Gonna shut up and have a stiff cup if tea!! :spin: :rotfl: :beer: (oh, PS... Hubby just asked if I would back on my feet & ok in 2 weeks!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :heehee: :loll: When I'd finished sniggering (a little manically, must admit!!) I tried to tell if he was joking before going all 'terminator' on him!! :skep:

Jetthugger! Congratulations on your date and it's not long is it?

from your previous posts, I think you are already well organised and raring to go. The question list from 'gimpy sounds really good, not sure I would add much to that actually. The hosp may give you handouts will more details on and it will cover most things and then there's everyone on here to do the rest :heehee:.

You could ask what aids you get to take home, ie Crutches, loo seat riser, ice pack, extra dressings, that sort of thing.

Packing wise, you relly don't need much At all as you'll be resting, sleeping, physio etc. I certainly couldn't have Focused on a book, each day they insisted on bringing me a newspaper which didn't get opened.

At least you can start making plans now. Take care of yourself and the old hag :wink:.

Fernie :flwrysmile:

Hi Jetthugger,
Hope your hubbie survived the killer stare!
I can't take credit for the two bag idea, it was in the hospital instructions and firmly reinforced at the joint school day.
Good ideas from Fernie. I bought ice packs months ago when I first decided to have the op. I must look out the wrap thing to put the packs in.....wonder where I squirrelled that away all those months ago???
Loo seat risers were also delivered months ago and sit all sad and lonely waiting for their big moment. I will have crutches provided on the ward. Eek it seems a bit too real now, deep breath and calming thoughts. Off for a cup of decaff tea. I am sleeping much better with the decaf, will take some in to hospital as I am not sure NHS runs to herbal and decaff!
So pleased we will be travelling the windy path together.
Toothfairy x :cheers: :friends:

Talking of ice packs, this is my TOP TIP: I have about 3, but the one I use most often is the pack of frozen peas as it moulds to your knee perfectly, although buy frozen sweet corn as the peas smell like, well peas,when they defrost :rotfl:. Toothfairy. Fxx

NHS will probs do decaf but not sure about the herbal tea. I still cannot drink much tea or touch anything herbal , guess when I'm done with drugs and taste buds back to normal I'll be fine again and my usual teapot self :mcoffee:

Hi Jetthugger, how are you today? Has the news sunk in yet.
I know everyone is different but I went through phases.
Stage one was excitement and quickly followed by terror. I then had a day or two of reading all my hospital stuff then calmed down again.
Now that the big day is nearly here I am remarkably calm and still not organised!
Good luck with your Pre op appointment tomorrow. Hope you get answers to all of your questions.
Take care,
Toothfairy x :friends:

Hi there! Yes, like you I am on a rollercoaster & go from blind panic to having a total brain fugue!! I'm glad that you are calm and hope that I follow in your footsteps, I'd like a little calm right now!! Spent most of last night awake, hag howling as I've not taken painkillers for a couple of days now, hag was quiet till yesterday! Will report in after my pre-op today. Fingers crossed allis well & I can get on with repacking my bag(s) for the umpteenth time!! Thanks for the top tip Fernie!! Will pay a visit to Iceland in the next week or so. Just need to organise some furniture risers for my rather low settee (I'm 5'10") - see what they come up with today. Keep calm Toothfairy! It'll all come good for us soon :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:

Good luck with your pre op. You may find that now you have a date the Hag beHaves herself, Lulling you Into a totally false sense of What am I doing? But then she'll come back with lots of :yikes: And :yikes: And you know you've made the right choice to get her replaced with a more bionic model. :egypdance:

You do make me laugh with your packing and repacking and then a bit more packing of your bags. :rotfl: It's all good though.

Anyway my friend in the midlands, take care and ttfn, Fernie x:flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads