• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Booked in and waiting for a date....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetthugger

senior
I had my first arthroscopy & debridement when I was 20, had further three since, now at 47 have bit the bullet & decided to get it done LTKR and the prospect terrifies me! My friends wife had hers two years ago & it went so catastrophically wrong that her leg was amputated after a year!!
I have no cartilage at all in my left knee and some days walk like a100 year old, some days I am fine, (apart from the constant crack click crunch)
I have been reading with great interest all of your experiences & it has already helped just to know I'm not alone in this. :puppysmooze:

Dewey

senior
Hi Jethugger....

No advice or words of wisdom for you...Just wanted you to know you are not alone! I, too, am waiting for a date. I am assuming it will be middle January for the RTKR, so I've started getting everything I can ready. I want to be prepared. I will probably have my left done 5-6 weeks later so I have quite a journey coming up in my life!

I can tell you that I've been around this site for a few weeks now, and it is great! There are SO MANY positive stories to read and "hang on"' to. Your catastophic story is very, very few and far between, I'm sure! So many people have wonderful results, and I've heard many say they wish they would have done it sooner.

Yes, I'm scared to death, too, but I'm going to do all I can to stay positive. I know that we will both be much, much better this time next year and able to live our lives the way we want to! So, stay around here because these people are great!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Of course you are concerned. We were all scared pre-op. But your friend's wife is certainly not the norm. Please don't worry. We have lots of members here who have gone through TKR and are now off living norm, active lives. Do some reading in the Library and then come back and ask any questions. We will help you through this journey.

Here's some links to get you started:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Welcome to BoneSmart!

Florida 1

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi Jetthugger,
I too am 47 and just had LTKR about 7 weeks ago, and will have RTKR in about 4 weeks. Read as much as you can on this site - articles from the library as well as our stories. The more informed you are, the better off you'll be - there is NO reason to be terrified! Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
jetthugger

jetthugger

senior
Thank you for your encouraging words. I have read every word and will reread before long!! Best of luck with your RTKR, Florida 1 & Dewey, let me know how you get on, as you will more than likely beat me to it! I'm due an MRI first, waiting list 10 weeks for surgery :groan:

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Hi Jetthugger, Dewey and Florida 1, I am also waiting for a date for the first of 2 TKR's.
I am ready to get on with it now. I have has my pre- op assessment and have a stage 2 enhanced recovery appointment this week so I am hoping that I will get a date soon.
Look forward to hearing your updates.
Toothfairy. :happydance:

Florida 1

senior
Country
The waiting was the worst! I feel for you both in that regard - I set both my surgeries at the end of June and had to wait until September for the first one. If it hadn't been for this site, I think I would've been a total whack nut (instead of just a slight one) by the time I had it done. And of course, everyone tells you about the person they know who either had a horrible experience, or was playing tennis in two weeks! (I learned that neither was usually true.)

OP
OP
jetthugger

jetthugger

senior
Hi tooth fairy, hope everything goes well for you! I have my physio class 18/12/12, it will probably become more real for me then. I still sometimes think to put it off, especially in the morning as I am able to walk my dogs then, sometimes for over a mile before any fireworks!! Other times, I know I've made the right choice, like today while in Costco, my knee gave out & I ratcheted my way painfully through the store, hanging on to the trolley for dear life!!! Really happy with my choice of surgeon, he has given me loads of confidence - which was better than one of the previous surgeons I saw, who said I would only have 90% bend & a life of 10 years before revision needed. Talk about putting me off!!!! Delayed my decision by a year that one!!! Do you know your surgeon? I've been old that confidence in your treatment enhances the recovery, not sure how true that is, but I definitely feel more confident since switching to a recommended OS. :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze:

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
Hi Jetthugger,
I have confidence in the surgeon. He has an impressive track record and a very good manner.
He does however talk about the downsides but I think that is more about managing expectations and highlighting risks rather than trying to put me off.
I did have doubts about going ahead but am now ready to get on with it.
I'm glad you have found someone you are confident with.
Keep me posted with your progress. What part of the world are you in?
Best wishes,
Toothfairy :dancy: :thankyou:

OP
OP
jetthugger

jetthugger

senior
I have a few questions that I haven't managed to spot the answers for in my reading of this wonderful site, daft as they may be, but here goes!!
1) I love walking my two dogs, one of which is rather deranged and pulls, barking like a loon when he sees another dog (or anything furry) - how soon is it safe to walk him? (he's a pharaoh hound 23kilos-ish)
2) I love a long hot soak in a chin deep bubble bath... (I'm in the bath now!!) - how soon after the op will I be able to get in & soak?
3) it's been quite literally YEARS since I've worn anything other than converse on my feet, as the complete flatness is the only thing my cruel old hag of a knee will tolerate. Will I eventually be able to wear heels? Even modest heels would make me feel more feminine?
4) I've heard that emu oil and bio oil are good for reducing the scar, I am not in any way vain about my appearance, but would like to minimise the effects if I can? I also wouldnt mind trying manuka medical grade honey, but will only use when safe. How long will that be?
5) finally, I've learned that kneeling will be a no-no. Is that forever?
I've learned so much from this amazing site & I feel silly asking these droll questions, but all the major stuff has been thoroughly & competently covered :spin:

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
I have a few questions that I haven't managed to spot the answers for in my reading of this wonderful site, daft as they may be, but here goes!!
No such thing as a daft question on here, tha noes!
1) I love walking my two dogs, one of which is rather deranged and pulls, barking like a loon when he sees another dog (or anything furry) - how soon is it safe to walk him? (he's a pharaoh hound 23kilos-ish)
Not so much a question of when is it safe as when you can do it at all. I'd say - at a very rough guess - it could be anything up to 6 weeks and probably more. Not only the question of control the dogs but of when you will be able to cope with more than a short walk at all. Read this Progression of activity for TKRs
2) I love a long hot soak in a chin deep bubble bath... (I'm in the bath now!!) - how soon after the op will I be able to get in & soak?
Two things; first, when the wound is fully healed which will be about three weeks and second, when you are able to get down into the bath and, much more crucially, get up out of it again! I'd say that could take at least a couple of months. Sorry and all that, but it's a fact. I haven't been able to consider having a bath at all since my knee first went bad in about 2006.
3) it's been quite literally YEARS since I've worn anything other than converse on my feet, as the complete flatness is the only thing my cruel old hag of a knee will tolerate. Will I eventually be able to wear heels? Even modest heels would make me feel more feminine?
Once the knee is fully healed and recovered and you are past that magic day when you wake up one morning and get to lunchtime before you realise that you knee was NOT the first thing you thought about today. That takes about a year.
4) I've heard that emu oil and bio oil are good for reducing the scar, I am not in any way vain about my appearance, but would like to minimise the effects if I can? I also wouldnt mind trying manuka medical grade honey, but will only use when safe. How long will that be?
This comes up regularly and I still maintain that no lotions, potions or oil are necessary to obtain a good scar. As for 'reducing' it, the scar will be what it will be - ghastly (to you) at the start but within a few months, a tiny pink hairline. Honestly, don't waste your money.
5) finally, I've learned that kneeling will be a no-no. Is that forever?
Not necessarily. I am still unable to kneel on my right knee as it seems rather sensitive and also doesn't care to bear my somewhat extreme weight! But plenty of others can and do. Jamie for one has built a deck in her garden and kneeled to do that quite soon after her surgery.

Now my turn - which hospital are you having your surgery at?

Finally you might like to spend some time studying these articles to prepare you for your recovery.

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

OP
OP
jetthugger

jetthugger

senior
I'm having my op at the Warwick hospital, with the lovely Mr John Waite, who will be my surgeon. I know I am in good hands, he seems sympathetic, positive and very competent (just waiting for a date now!) thank you for answering my (daft) questions ha ha - it really is a relief to know that I have a support network of people who know what I am experiencing. My colleagues in work know I have a 'bad knee' that 'plays up' a lot. One last query. If I have a cortisone injection, to see me through, will it have any adverse effect on me having the op in a couple of months time? (I have been advised of a ten week waiting list)

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
I had my stage 2 enhanced recovery appointment yesterday. It was really interesting. We met as a group and there were two presentations where they explained about the programme, explained what to expect/ bring to hospital/ expect after surgery and after discharge. They also explained about the physiotherapy and what was expected of us and what we can expect of them. We were given information booklets to support the information given, contact numbers for any questions/ worries. There was plenty of time and opportunity to ask questions both in the group or individually. After that there was a personal consultation with an occupational therapist to sort out what help/ aids etc would be needed for home. There was also a chance to chat to others who would be going through the same surgery and a couple of them were on knee 2 which was useful. I was passing on info about this site. I feel much happier about my forthcoming hospital stay. Just need a date now!
Toothfairy. :dancy: :happydance:

Dewey

senior
Just wanted to share that my surgeon told me that we must wait 3MONTHS after a cortisone shot to have surgery.

OP
OP
jetthugger

jetthugger

senior
Thanks for letting me know!! My old hag of a knee will just have to spit & crack till I get it done. (mind you, funnily enough, I've had a couple of days when I'm almost pain free since I booked in!) D'ya think my old hag of a knee is playing nice coz she knows what's coming? :gaah:

OP
OP
jetthugger

jetthugger

senior
Here's an interesting one. I was at the NEC festive gift after today with my sister, we came upon a stall with a big old worn out arthritic knee poster up & upon enquiry, I was told that if able to walk around I wasn't in need of LTKR and the red glowy vibrating lump-hammer type contraption, at a modest £395.00 was the solution. Didn't stop long enough to compare his medical training against that of my surgeon!! Anyone buy anything like that? Do these things work??? He rubbed it against my knee, expressed disbelief & disappointment when told it had no effect & assured me that I would regret having TKR so young. Snake oil salesman!!

RestAssured

Forum Advisor
Country
Hello,

You and I are the same age and I had my original two knees done in March, and then May of 2010. Infection set in but I knew the odds for me were 50/50. I am so grateful that MRSA only struck the right knee! The left knee is great, and after the revision in May of this year, the right knee is doing much better! I am still working on lateral inside muscle strength to keep the kneecap I place. Do I regret the surgeries? No, they gave me a quality of life again! :happydance:

1ELISEA

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Hi jetthugger
Just wanted to stop in and say hi. Sounds like you are in wait mode; all the big decisions already made.
I like your moniker; do you fly jets? That would be truly fun to do!

referee54

omega
Country
Just wanted to share that my surgeon told me that we must wait 3MONTHS after a cortisone shot to have surgery.
I got about eight months relieve with cortisone before my BTKR. My OS wanted the last shot to wear off right before my BTKR---I had the last injections the first week of August and my surgery was November 8th of 2007---so three months was the time period then, too.

1ELISEA

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
My last shot was also about 3 months prior to surgery.
My relief after the cortisone shot was brief; about 6 weeks. And one of the reasons I chose to be on prescription pain medications before the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Momski
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom