BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Book reviews

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Josephine, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JackiFL

JackiFL Senior

United States United States
    This book ROCKS! One author had BTKR and is upfront and honest about his experience. He does not hold himself up as a perfect patient, either pre or post op!

Also, the pics inside are of normal people who've had TKR - and it treats recovery as a one year mission, not a quickie.

I have both a softcover book and a Kindle version.

Jacki

2. suzzee2000

suzzee2000 Graduate

I got mine from the Library Wed!! I figure I will renew it a couple times if I have to and ref: thru my recovery!!! I LOVE IT TOO!!!!

3. LADYBEE-D

LADYBEE-D New Member

Thank you soooo much for suggesting this Book/Manuel. I'm the type of person, that likes to Google, info I need on any subject. I like to be in charge, as much as possible, of my health. Having this info, empowers me to do what is needed, to regain as much control of my body as possible. I'm a senior citizen, and unfortunately, have more health issues than most people. Knowing one's body and knowing what to do in times of difficulty, is the best resource for any person. Again, thanks.

4. OHIOGAL

OHIOGAL New Member

i just read The Handbook on Hip and Knee Joint Replacement by Dr. Ronald Hugate and Robert Holland. It was co-written by this orthopedic doctor and a patient of TKR. Great information from both perspectives. Recently written , 2012.

5. lorl

lorl Graduate

Australia Australia
    Hi, I have got to the not "if" but "when" stage for both knees. So I am finding the various articles, posts, very helpful. Thank you ALL for sharing yr stories so openly and generously.

I go to Feldenkrais classes and the teacher recommended the book Granny Gets a New Knee, Louise Chegwidden which is well written, comprehensive and gives a series of exercises to do. A v helpful book, most encouraging.
    I do a set of knee conditioning exercises and most days I do 20-30 minutes on a stationary exercise bike.
    Does it make a difference to post op recovery and pain management if you diligently do these sort of exercises?

I find that those exercises lessen the pain and general sensations in my knees.
    I am assuming it will help in recovery. Any thoughts.

6. MercysPeace

MercysPeace Member

Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation - The Knee Owner's Manual -I ordered this book on my NOOK because of this post and so far I really like it.... it is very informative... I have even prepared a list of questions for my doctors appointment thanks to this book..... THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!!

7. sdgrandma

sdgrandma Junior Member

@Josephine
    I ordered the Kindle version of the 2011 edition of Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation for $7.99. It does have good info and I appreciate the pictures of the exercises. However, the exercise recommendations are so much more intense than the regime recommended by BoneSmart, and I am confused. If I did all the exercises, number of reps, and number of sets prescribed in this book for someone 4 weeks post-op--I would be exercising all day and my knee would be miserable. Any insights from those who have used this book would be appreciated!

8. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

I used this book, modified the progression and exercises to where I was in recovery, not to the book. Everyone is different, and needs to progress at their own rate. Right now you only need to do gentle heel slides, and the walking you are doing around the house will be enough.

9. sdgrandma

sdgrandma Junior Member

Thanks @pumpkin ! I appreciate the advice. That was my thought, too--that I could scale back and add in exercises as my knee heals. I just feel so far behind when I see what the author recommends. Did you do the scar and tendon massage and did it make any difference?

10. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 Forum Advisor

The book does eventually address this issue, and they advise to pick and choose (they kind of laugh at themselves about how you'd have no time to live the life you've fought so hard to get back if you did all their exercises). You also have a variety to prevent boredom, and it's a good idea to switch out to other exercises tuned to the same area to get a better result. Maybe your personal set up lends itself to one set of exercises over another. Definitely do NOT try to do them all. At least, not all at once.

• Like Like x 1