BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Book reviews

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Josephine, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sarasotalady

sarasotalady Junior Member

United States United States
    Has anyone read this book? is it worth buying compared to the info on this site?
    Handbook of Hip & Knee Joint Replacement: Through the Eyes of the Patient, Surgeon & Medical Team

2. Kimter

Kimter Junior Member

I am waiting for the book Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual by Daniel J. Brugioni, M.D to come from Amazon. I didn't realize there was a thread about books or I would have asked before I ordered. Since the publish date is 2004, is most of the book still relevant? I'm hoping that this book will be a good reference for both me and my husband although I'm not sure he'll really look at it. I'm scheduled for surgery March 12.

3. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

books.jpg Yes, Kimter, the book is still very relevant and an excellent resource. Lots of very good advice that echos what is touted here, lots of exercises for different stages of recovery with great pics. It will be a great reference for you, and you need to insist that hubby read the relevant parts about the surgery and how long recovery takes.

I personally own this book and I found it invaluable---along with BoneSmart, it prepared me completely before I had both my knees done and helped make my recovery almost textbook.

4. reetpteet

reetpteet Senior

Brugioni's is an excellent book. I read it from cover to cover - I swear I could take an exam on it! I have lent it to other pre-tkr's who have found it useful too. Good luck x

5. sheryl7

sheryl7 Graduate

Kimter, I plan to purchase this book, when my turn comes in a few years, and possibly by then, it may be revised or updated as technology, and techniques become more and more fine tuned, but I shall trust members and mods here that this book is still very relevant, and will be well worth the read.
    Please do report, or post, once you have had opportunity to look over and read a bit what you think of it, we want to keep up with your progress.
    Have a great weekend, and take care....Sheryl:flwrysmile:

6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

Excellent book (2004), I bought the electronic version, would recommend the hard copy for easier browsing, and bookmarking.:SUNsmile:

7. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

This is a more recent book (2012), good reviews on Amazon. Kindle copy is under 6 dollars so will buy it and report back here later.

8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

9. ohio gal

ohio gal Junior Member

I was in Amazon and both of these books- Total knee replacement and rehab and knee surgery, the essential guide are on the site; total knee new 13.57 and used 8.90. knee surgery, the essential guide is selling new for14.46-9.30 and used for3.94. Just an update on prices, oh yes and free shipping.

10. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would not recommend this book as it is not general enough. It's really only pertinent for the author's own patients! For instance, he states unequivocally that bilateral hips "should never be done" which is ridiculous!

• Like Like x 1
  11. maddoxsmama

maddoxsmama Senior

Just received my book, Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation, yesterday. Fantastic book and so informative. Definitely a "must read" for anyone like me who is anticipating TKR in the near future. :dancy:

12. eastside85

eastside85 Member

I also bought and read the book cover to cover, and agree ... a great resource for anyone having total knee replacement surgery. I've been doing the pre op exercises described and they are easy and very doable, and feel my quads strengthening already!

13. Kimter

Kimter Junior Member

I have read the book too, been doing the exercises along with the ones from my os and hospital. I have the book packed to go to the hospital with me very early in the A.M. Although I love my Kindle, I'm glad that I bought the book vs. the Kindle version, since it's so much easier to flip back and forth.

• Like Like x 1
  14. patient 99

patient 99 Post-Grad

Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation. Good book, agree with most of the above. Certainly worth buying. One Con: It led me to believe that it was all downhill after the 6week stage. Comments like `the worst is behind you'. That wasn't my experience.

15. ditzy dinah

ditzy dinah Senior

I have ordered it and it is on its way! Thanks for the recommendations

16. ditzy dinah

ditzy dinah Senior

Thank you for that valuable opinion Josephine. I have bought this book. Kindle version, and am reading it now, and do not seem to be getting an awful lot out of it, so it affirms me to know that it is not considered one of the best. Of course half of it is addressed to Hip patients, which I skip over anyway as this is not pertinent to me. It was a very reasonable price on Amazon, so nothing lost. I shall anticipate "The Knee Owners Manual" even more now. Especially pleased to hear that there are some good sections I can show to my husband, who will be my "carer" for the first week at home, as I am beginning to think that he imagines this will be a swifter less painful recovery , than I am learning to anticipate!

17. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Member

I totally agree. I only wish I had found this book at least a month prior to surgery!

:happydance:

18. Robo37

Robo37 New Member

I just ordered "Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation" by Brugioni and "Knee Surgery: The Essential Guide to Total Knee Replacement" by O'Neil from Amazon. I'm having TKR on my left knee January 7, 2014.

19. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

@Robo37, it's a great book with lots of very good information and great exercises.

20. suzzee2000

suzzee2000 Graduate

Thanks for the suggestion'! Just placed this book on hold at the Library!!

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk