Book reviews

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thought this would be a good resource.

One book per post, I think, and please give some comments about the content and what you thought of it.

Title:
Authors:
Comments:

ship4

graduate
Country
United States United States
I strongly suggest those who are anticipating TKR to also purchase the book Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation written by an OS and a PT, both of whom have had the surgery themselves. Great book! I had BTKR on 6/18/08. I could not have done it as well, without this book.........
Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation - The Knee Owner's Manual was written by orthopedic surgeon Daniel J. Brugioni, M.D. and physical therapist Jeff Falkel, Ph.D., P.T., CSCS., whose specialty is working with joint replacement patients. The book is extremely easy to follow as it lays out step-by-step the replacement procedure and a one-year program for complete rehabilitation. The book begins with information about knee arthritis and various treatment options. Total knee replacement is considered end-stage treatment for knee arthritis. How do you know when it's time for replacement? How do you know if you're ready? How can you avoid complications? The book answers myriad questions about total knee replacement surgery, prepares the patient for the pre-op period, the operating room phase, and the post-op period. In a chronological format, the patient is prepared for specific exercises - some of which are designed for the pre-op period, some which begin the first day after surgery, and others added over time as part of strengthening and developing range of motion. There are 145 exercises in the book, illustrated with photographs or drawings, and an easy-to-use appendix which quickly gets you back to the exercise you are searching for from the list of specific range-of-motion, strengthening, balance, hot-tub and pool, Futebol, Thera-Band, and walking exercises. If you are having knee replacement surgery, the book is a must-have. You will refer to it again and again.n
The patient should know what to expect before, during, and after the surgery, as well as what their responsibility is to assure a successful result. This book serves as the knee owner's manual -- and it is a masterpiece.Pros

• Explains total joint replacement thoroughly and understandably.
  • Written by experts with professional and personal experience.
  • Empowers patients by showing them their responsibility for successful surgery.
  • Is a quick and easy reference, pre-op and post-op.
  • Anticipates questions a patient may have and offers the answers.

Cons

• No cons!

Description

• Clearly written.
  • Clearly illustrated.
  • Explains what to expect before surgery.
  • Explains what to do after surgery.
  • Offers critical information and valuable advice.
  • Encouraging.
  • Maps out the road to recovery.
  • Personal as well as professional insight - Dr. Falkel had bilateral total knee replacements.
Best,
Crystal

Lujo

This is an awesome book. I have read it and found it very useful. If anything it helps family memebers and friends understand what is instore for them. This type of surgery affects more than just the person having the surgery. It affects anyone who is helping you get through the aftermath of the surgery.

ship4

graduate
Country
Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies...is a complete and authoritative guide to dealing with over 250 of the most common ailments and diseases of men and women through nutritional, herbal, and supplemental therapy. It is comprehensive and lists many different drug-free remedies for various disorders and health conditions including vitamins, minerals, herbs, food supplements, exercise and meditation. It truly is a practical A-Z reference to drug-free remedies using vitamins, minerals, herbs, and food supplements
The authors, by Phyllis A., C.N.C. Balch, James F., M.D. Balch are realistic about the role of herbs in healing. Unlike other materials and books it does not advocate the exclusive usage of herbs for healing or view herbs as a "cure-all." It is also quite honest and very straightforward about the dangers of some herb usage.
The Prescription for Nutritional Healing lists diseases, illnesses and disorders in alphabetical order (along with recommended treatment) for quick reference.
I have used this book for over 20 years! A wonderful resource!
Best,
Crystal

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
This thread is for posting ONLY books on knee replacement. There is a similar thread in the Hip Replacement Surgery Discussions forum. There also is a Book Review thread in the Lifestyles forum for posting a good book you have found for recreational reading.

loribee59

I posted this in another forum, but I hope it wouldn't hurt to post in here...I didn't know there was a thread about books! :blush:

here it is:
"I'm not so sure about Amazon's pricing for this book, but it's a bit ridiculous that I'd have to pay nearly $50 for it? funny, I saw the same book around the 'net costing between $14.00 and $20.00 I liked Amazon for their pricing and the speed of delivery, but this is NUTS." :skp:

vboaze

just ordered this book. i need all the info i can get for my upcoming BTKR. i am nerveous and i think all the info you can get helps.
i will email after i get it and read some.
vicki :pnc:

WaterBaby

Country
Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation - The Knee Owner's Manual by Daniel J. Brugioni, M.D. and Jeff Falkel, Ph.D., P.T., CSCS. is now available on the Kindle for $9.99. I have just finished it and found it extremely helpful and full of good information, especially regarding exercises both pre and post op.

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That was recommended in post #2 of this thread, Mary-Pat. But not the Kindle bit.

sheryl7

graduate
Country
i want to get this book, I am going to check ebay they have everthing you can imagine. Let you all know what it goes for there:wink1:

0897934393 is the ISBN. best overall price i could find in the states was 12.86 online from Walmart and they can ship it to your nearest store so you don't have to pay shipping..
or as I might do check it out from the Library so I can get a taste of the book, and when I am closer to a tkr buy the book...

heyfly

Country
Here's another excellent book: "Knee Surgery, The Essential Guide to Total Knee Recovery" Daniel Fulham O'Neill.

Harry

Eagerly awaiting 10/4/11 LTKR

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123