TKR Booger's Left Knee

Quads and Hamstring

Without meaning to sound patronising, I would say as a [reluctant] gym bunny, my quads and hamstring have been in fine fettle [great condition for our non UK friends] for years thanks to leg extension/vertical leg press/ hamstring curl machines and regular exercise even through a gammy [ translation- pretty rubbish] knee.

Now?
It's very easy to lose and extremely hard to gain. I had quite a session in the gym yesterday, on my own, with the vertical leg press being the focus of the hour. I could press 60kg [30 kg each side] the week before the op., painfully with bone on bone left knee. Yesterday I was smug with pleasure I could press 10kg but with no pain or discomfort at all.

This morning, I'm sitting with a hot water bottle on the left quad. Knee is a bit swollen but it's fine. Quad aches like mad but I will be going again tomorrow afternoon to repeat the process.

Both my surgeon and physio have said the quads are integral to a stable knee so I will crack on.

Again, not meant to be patronising but, if it's hard for someone who had good muscle activity, it's hard for everyone so no worries, just keep on 'getting there' at 'your' own pace. :)

Crack cleaner.....:rotfl:

Good luck, Booger. Glad you don't have to start back until after Christmas. I also worry about you on those stairs. Take it easy at first.

I have one of those massagers, a little more sophisticated than that one with settings and attachments. I got it for my birthday. I wouldn't try it near The Knee but it feels good on my back and shoulders. (hubby has to help)

@Scaredycat10 i had an experienced therapist tell me that even very fit people experience the atrophy and that it takes months to rebuild the quad/calf strength.
I don’t remember my quad muscles taking this long to strengthen on my PKR in 2016. I know I didn’t have all this pain with ascending and descending stairs. Every Surgery is different and I am 5 yrs older also.

Funny you should ask. Our plant makes the away from home or professional as they call it. I call it the john wayne style. Its whats used in stadiums, hotels, and places like that. Our company makes cottonelle for home use. But not at our plant. Parent company is Kimberly Clark.

Booger

Crack cleaner.....:rotfl:

Good luck, Booger. Glad you don't have to start back until after Christmas. I also worry about you on those stairs. Take it easy at first.

I have one of those massagers, a little more sophisticated than that one with settings and attachments. I got it for my birthday. I wouldn't try it near The Knee but it feels good on my back and shoulders. (hubby has to help)
Why wouldn't you use it close to the knee? I already have been as long as it doesn't hurt. There are a couple of spots around it where it feels weird but no pain. Just wondering.

Booger

@Scaredycat10 i had an experienced therapist tell me that even very fit people experience the atrophy and that it takes months to rebuild the quad/calf strength.
I don’t remember my quad muscles taking this long to strengthen on my PKR in 2016. I know I didn’t have all this pain with ascending and descending stairs. Every Surgery is different and I am 5 yrs older also.
Im not in the fit category. Actually unfit :rotfl: :snork: :heehee: so im really screwed.

Booger

I guess just afraid I might hurt something? I'm sure it would be fine, I'm just being wimpy....

I can attest to the quad and calf atrophy, @Sks1997 . Every time I do my exercises my quads are sore and stiff after.

As I said, muscle power is easy to lose. especially as you get older and jolly hard to regain. If I try a little every few days a week, I will get there in my own time.

Hi, Booger... congratulations on returning to work! I know you have been concerned about your co-workers, & they sound like “ good folk”, to be concerned about you & putting you on controls for a while, so you ease into the rest. You are such a trooper, it’s good to know you’re sticking around. And nice you’ll be off for the holidays.
Your massage gun sounds neat! I should dig through in our closet upstairs- we probably have several massage items there, I just don’t remember what. I do have a nice massager the kids gave me, so I should pull it out & maybe see what my Dr or the therapists advise. I do put heat on my upper legs though, they sometimes ache. Yours looks like it will target specific aches. Pretty cool.
Well, everyone have a wonderful Christmas! And then 2022 coming up....with new knees! Looking forward to that, for sure.

Hi, Booger... congratulations on returning to work! I know you have been concerned about your co-workers, & they sound like “ good folk”, to be concerned about you & putting you on controls for a while, so you ease into the rest. You are such a trooper, it’s good to know you’re sticking around. And nice you’ll be off for the holidays.
Your massage gun sounds neat! I should dig through in our closet upstairs- we probably have several massage items there, I just don’t remember what. I do have a nice massager the kids gave me, so I should pull it out & maybe see what my Dr or the therapists advise. I do put heat on my upper legs though, they sometimes ache. Yours looks like it will target specific aches. Pretty cool.
Well, everyone have a wonderful Christmas! And then 2022 coming up....with new knees! Looking forward to that, for sure.
Thanks Catalien for the encouragement. My guys are great. I hope everything with you has been going ok. I bet your ready for the holidays I know we are:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon::santa-dance::carols:
Take care sis and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Booger

Its wild how stiff this knee still gets and hurts sometimes out of the blue. :shocked::tantrum2::censored: or if I sit too long. Or lets not forget being on it too long also. Soooo ready for my year to be up.

Booger

Hi, Booger.... catching up again, & wondering how you’re doing, and as I pulled up the forum, my husband asked, “ how’s Booger doing?” I was scrolling down, never seem to get very far. So figured your latest post would be a ways down. This was your first week back to work. Hoping here that it went well.
Seems like yesterday sometimes that I first met you, Hawk2go, SusieQ, & so many others on here. I remember you were having a rough time for a while there, & we were all rooting for you. No doubt your co-workers were glad to see you. Hopefully you can get some good rest now. It’s cold here in Colorado, snow on the ground ( 6 degrees tonite ), but, a beautiful sunset outside our west kitchen window, reminding me of all the healing, and lessons I have learned through this journey, and all the new friends I’ve made.

You’ve been such an encouragement to me, when I was fighting my infection, along with others. I’m doing great, saw my surgeon today, & he was pleased.... see him in 6 weeks. Still taking the ( tasty?) antibiotic ( 3-6 more months), but, progressing & getting stronger daily. Remembering my sister’s dr advice, just a Little improvement each day is Progress. Just saw some of the posts about how long it takes to build back our quad & thigh strength. I was hoping for faster! But, I suppose that’s some of our learning patience . Well, all this to say, I’m hoping you are doing well. Taking this journey with friends, even though we are literally spread across the world, sure makes it easier. Hope you & your family had a wonderful Christmas, & a really good 2022. Take care,
Catalien45

Hello Everyone,
I hope ya'll are doing good. Well I went back to work on January 3rd. Oh boy did it suck!!! My Mother F$%&er's took care of me like they said they would. Best bunch of guys to work with .... I'm just running controls mostly. Did climb a couple of barrel ladders to help with the fire prevention blowdown though. Not bad took my time. Went up the stairs and down them at a leisurely pace. The knee would be hurting towards the end of the shift about 8 to 9 hrs in. Sometimes before that if we were busy. But all in all I am happy. More muscular pain no bone on bone grinding pain. But I'm worried about the swelling its still huge compared to the other one. And my calf is soooo much smaller. Im just ready for it to be normal again. I have put on some weight i need to get that off also. I guess its time to get to crackin the whip. Hang in there new foks it does get better.

Booger
20220117_101435.jpg

Hi, Booger.... catching up again, & wondering how you’re doing, and as I pulled up the forum, my husband asked, “ how’s Booger doing?” I was scrolling down, never seem to get very far. So figured your latest post would be a ways down. This was your first week back to work. Hoping here that it went well.
Seems like yesterday sometimes that I first met you, Hawk2go, SusieQ, & so many others on here. I remember you were having a rough time for a while there, & we were all rooting for you. No doubt your co-workers were glad to see you. Hopefully you can get some good rest now. It’s cold here in Colorado, snow on the ground ( 6 degrees tonite ), but, a beautiful sunset outside our west kitchen window, reminding me of all the healing, and lessons I have learned through this journey, and all the new friends I’ve made.

You’ve been such an encouragement to me, when I was fighting my infection, along with others. I’m doing great, saw my surgeon today, & he was pleased.... see him in 6 weeks. Still taking the ( tasty?) antibiotic ( 3-6 more months), but, progressing & getting stronger daily. Remembering my sister’s dr advice, just a Little improvement each day is Progress. Just saw some of the posts about how long it takes to build back our quad & thigh strength. I was hoping for faster! But, I suppose that’s some of our learning patience . Well, all this to say, I’m hoping you are doing well. Taking this journey with friends, even though we are literally spread across the world, sure makes it easier. Hope you & your family had a wonderful Christmas, & a really good 2022. Take care,
Catalien45
Hi their Catalien,
Im doing good so far. Im Sooo Glad your infection is gone. I would show my wife your post and she would tell me to count my blessings. You are truly a Warrior!!! I hope you don't have anymore problems. You have been through the wringer twice. I will keep prayin for your continued progress. Tell your husband I said thanks for asking about me.

Booger

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks