TKR Booger's Left Knee

Hi, Booger... I am So sorry about your hip!... I am also a side sleeper, but over the past nearly month, have had to learn to sleep on my back. The Only place I can sleep comfortably on is our old couch! I’m not very big (5ft, used to be 5’ 3 1/2 - degenerative disks in my back). But even then, not room for side sleeping on that couch. I do find that if I don’t cross my legs, I can get the surgery leg pretty straight when I sleep on my back.
Also, could you possibly be having “ compensation” pain in your good side hip? I had that rather badly on my good hip in the last few weeks Before my surgery..... I was using my cane Constantly , putting all my weight onto that “Good” side. It has cleared up since my surgery, but getting Very painful before it. I don’t use my cane now, except when I’m out, & even then, I’m able to put a lot more weight onto my right than for a Long time. Might run that by your Dr or your therapist & see what they think. Btw, one thing my PT worked with today was having me put more weight onto my Right foot when I do my exercises; old habits die hard, & I’d favored the right for a long time.
Take care, & I hope you are able to get some relief & a solution Soon!

I guess it could be but im pretty sure a couple of nights ago i was swinging the leg around and heard or felt a pop or something. pretty sure it didnt hurt as much before the lil incident as it does after. And yes I'm using the right side more definitely getting up sitting down or flopping down.

Booger

Ouch,. I trust you’re gonna check with your Dr if it doesn’t resolve Soon?
Keeping you in thoughts & sending positive thoughts your way!

Thanks Catalien I really appreciate it so much. But this is all new territory for me like many. All the positive vibes and comments are really appreciate it sooo much.
I hope everything goes your way.

Booger

Personally I would not wear an immobilizer unless absolutely necessary ....

I wore my immobilizer at night for the first week or two after each of my surgeries and found it very helpful. I put it on a little loose so it wouldn't be uncomfortable. It helped keep my leg straight and it also served as a little bit of 'armor', protecting the bad knee when I bumped it with the good knee. Without the immobilizer the pain would have woken me up a dozen times a night. Wearing it helped me sleep by preventing this.

Well pt today was ok. 4or 5 on extension I can't remember but flex was worse at 107. But I guess it is what it is. Soooo I m gonna make salmon patties and scalloped potatoes for supper just as soon as my wife wakes up.
I hope everyone else is good.

Booger

flex was worse at 107.

Don't worry too much about the numbers, @Booger -- I'm now 7 weeks post-op and my flexion varies significantly from one week to the next. I finally figured out that when I "overdo" exercise, the swelling goes up -- and the flexion number goes down!

flex was worse at 107.

Don't worry too much about the numbers, @Booger -- I'm now 7 weeks post-op and my flexion varies significantly from one week to the next. I finally figured out that when I "overdo" exercise, the swelling goes up -- and the flexion number goes down!
Oh yes I got that figured out also. Good days and not so good dayz.
Chug a lug chug a lug

Booger

Hi, Benne & Booger. This is good info for me... yesterday at PT, my therapist measured, & my ROM was a little better, but my flex was worse than the last time she measured. ☹ This was the first day I felt human since my overdo fiasco, so was determined to go . I’m reassured to know that any undue stress could cause that to vary
Being smart this time - rested today, yesterday did wear me out .Salmon patties & Scalloped potatoes? YUM! We’re having salmon also, with rice. Finally beginning to feel like eating some, nausea a lot better.

Booger, how is your hip? Hoping it’s clearing up. Maybe that was your contraption you heard popping .....

Booger, how is your hip? Hoping it’s clearing up. Maybe that was your contraption you heard popping .....
Hip is better Catalien,
It wasn't the immobilizer that popped but its doin a lot better must of been muscular. I just wish I knew when it was gonna be a bad day but they are getting better and not as bad as they were in the beginning.
I cant wait to be able to sit normal with leg bent at kitchen table. or anywhere for that matter. Can't wait to be able to put socks on without struggling:snork::rotfl::heehee:. But its getting better at least I don't need as much help now.
Booger

I cant wait to be able to sit normal with leg bent at kitchen table. or anywhere for that matter. Can't wait to be able to put socks on without struggling:snork::rotfl::heehee:.
Any day now. It'll happen and you'll be like - "look what I just did". Hahaha - I actually make whoever is around look at my accomplishment or I just celebrate myself when I'm alone for those milestones.

Patience, patience! This recovery tests even the strongest among us. Knees heal at their own rate - usually slower than we would like :banghead: .

Can't wait to be able to put socks on without struggling:snork::rotfl::heehee:. But its getting better at least I don't need as much help now.
I'm with you there. Week 2 socks are the only things I can't do for myself. Frustrating. My slippers feel like a tripping hazard even with 2 normal knees so I need my non-slip socks.

I’m with you both there; dealing with the pain pretty well, Sox not Too bad - but.... a challenge, for sure. I’ll just be glad when my appetite is decent, & nausea fully gone! I’ve lost 6 lbs.... just can’t eat much, & not much tastes, or even Sounds good. It takes very little to “ overdo” , & then I’m totally wiped out, But....weekend coming up - I will rest, & no more tramadol or meloxicam. I think these 2 culprits are causing my nausea. Farmers Market goes for 2 more Saturdays after this, so my big goal is to make that last one, get a little local produce & tell a few goodbyes to our favorite farmers til next spring. And, next year, I’ll be headed there with my New Knee!!

I’ll just be glad when my appetite is decent, & nausea fully gone! I’ve lost 6 lbs....
I havent had that problem. ive put on 4 or 5 lbs. And I'm a big guy dont need them:rotfl::snork::rotfl:. But I'm gonna get mobile. I have too. Not really wanting the other one done. I hope you are able to drop the tramadol if you want.

Booger

Thanks, Booger, I took one at 8 tonite, next one due 8 tomorrow morning. My dr’s office has been helping me to get off it. If I’m not hurting a lot, I will probably skip that one & see if I can do OK with just the Tylenol. Hopefully lose the nausea. And tomorrow is my last meloxicam.. I’ll probably find those 6 pounds I lost ☺️, but that’s OK.... I enjoy cooking , baking , & Eating it too . And I’m sure my husband will enjoy it. He’s been incredible through all this.

My extension was slower coming in, also, but I didn't worry about it or do any special exercises. What helped me most was to walk with a longer stride with my heel coming down first then rolling up to my toes. Walking like this helps to stretch those long muscles and tendons in the back of the knee. It didn't happen quickly, but the extension improved.

Well folks. Looks like I may be stuck right now. 4 and 111. But at least I'm not going backwards. And i had the best home therapist. He's the man and has got the touch.

20211105_194117.jpg

Booger

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww!

You are not stuck at 111, you’ll improve in time as you heal. My ROM continued to improve well into my second year, and I even saw a bit more in my third year.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom