TKR Boogaloo is back!

It is the little things with this recovery glad you are having a good day

I hadn't heard of the zip closure so I looked it up on Google. Wow! What a wonderful idea. I hope all surgeons start using this. So much better than staples or stitches.

Sounds like things are looking up. Glad you survived the stair episode! I have to admit, when I am on stairs, I am singing in my head, "up with the good, down with the bad" so that I remember what is what! Hope things continue to go well.

I do, too! That was the first inkling that something was not right in my good right leg, last year’s PKR, the one I ended up spraining the medial ligament in. I should have listened to it. It was speaking to me. I was practicing going up and down my one step in my house, after the recent left PKR, and they suddenly felt the same stepping down. I remember thinking to myself, “ You both cannot be the bad leg” and made a note to ask the doc at the next visit. Duh. Should have called.

Hi everybody. I hope you are all doing well. The past few days since the zipper removal have been hard. My right hip is hurting. It's so uncomfortable I can't sit up straight for more than a few minutes. The pain extends down my thigh and the lateral side of my knee and calf. I have severe arthritis in my lower lumbar spine so I'm thinking that could be the culprit. Icing, elevating, and taking the oxy helps so I"m hoping it's just a temporary flareup.
The incision seems to be ok. I don't see any discharge on the steristrips. The knee still gets hot though. I see the surgeon again on Tuesday.

Hi everyone,
The steri strips came off today. My OS says the incision looks good. I can shower again but no submerging of the knee. I am supposed to start outpatient PT next week.
I just got home from the doctor's office and I am in excruciating pain. Not his fault, The car ride was very uncomfortable. I'm in bed right now, icing, elevating and took my medication. I'm praying the pain settles down soon. My knee feels like a ball of hot molten lava.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling so bad. Was it the car ride that brought on that terrible pain? You were doing so well. What do you think gave you such a setback?

Goodbye steri strips, hello shower! But after you do some intense tlc for that knee after that car ride and doctor's visit. It doesn't take much in the first few weeks to make the knee pitch a fit :tantrum: Ice, elevate and pain meds for the rest of the day. :console2:

@Patsyo I think it was the combination action of the uncomfortable ride, then the long wait at the surgeon's office sitting on the edge of the exam chair. My legs were hanging g off the edge and my feet did not reach the floor. I had to get up and stand/walk until the doctor came in the room. The ride home was just as uncomfortable as the ride to the appointment. I went straight upstairs, into my pajamas, took my meds and iced my knee. I fell asleep for 3 hours. Feeling better now.

It was months before I was comfortable riding in the car. It’s the feet on the floor instead of elevated that bothered me.

A friend suggested a small pillow on the floor to rest my foot on. It helped. There wasn't much room, so it was just a small one.

@kneeper that's exactly how it feels, like a toddler pitching a fit, lol! Everything is fine until you take it out of its comfort zone, then watch out!

Last edited:
@Jockette yes. I'm the same. It wouldn't have been so uncomfortable in my husband's SUV but he could not take off work today, so I had to take an Uber and they sent me a sedan with very little foot room. I had to sit with my knee bent the entire trip.

I think having to keep your knee bent is worse! Also, sitting on the table with your legs hanging. It was a long time before I could do that.

I’m just now able to set in a chair or car. It was 8 weeks on both knees. There is no way I could hang my legs over a table

@KarriB I couldn't agree more with your no touching rule. The day following my RTKR the surgical resident (not my OS) came in and said to me " You're going to hate me for this but it has to be done", and he proceeded to shove a rolled towel under my ankle and pushed down hard on my knee until the back touched the mattress. I screamed from the pain and if I wasn't in so much shock and pain I would have thrown my walker at him!
If that had happened to me in the hospital the day after my surgery I would have been shocked and upset but probably would have believed it.

I know a lot more now than I did then. If something like that happens the next time I do this, I will call for every supervisor, social worker and/or anyone else I can think of. That treatment is wrong and if I can’t prevent it, I will not let them get away with it.

When I had my surgery 2 years ago I had excellent care in the hospital. Every staff member I came in contact with was caring and pleasant. Not one of them caused me discomfort, let alone pain.

That changed when I went to out patient PT and I now have a low level of PTSD, so I will react badly if anyone hurts me like that in the future.

It makes me angry to read about experiences like yours. It is wrong on so many levels. I’m so sorry you had that experience.

so I had to take an Uber and they sent me a sedan with very little foot room. I had to sit with my knee bent the entire trip.

I've had to take a lyft several times. I just tell them knee surgery, can't bend leg. All the drivers have cleared the front seat and put it all the way back for me.

@Jockette, I had no idea what he was about to do, like you, I had no reason to distrust him. Everyone on the surgical team and nursing team had taken excellent and gentle care of me up to that point.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts