THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

We’ve decided to cancel the 3+ week trip to Norway scheduled for late May/June. It would have included two long haul plane flights, two ferry trips of 4 days each, two all day train rides, and time in both Oslo and Bergen where they’re already seeing virus cases. This was a very tough decision as it’s going to cost a ton of money and last year was a vacation washout for us. But it’s no vacation if you’re stuck in another country and sick.

Instead this year we’re planning to go to Canada to a remote resort for a week where we went for years. It’s in the middle of a Provincial park and includes all meals, boat, canoes, kayaks, hiking trails, sauna, etc. If anyone wants to know the name of this magical place message me..

I think this is the best thing to do at this time. I really need to do more and heavens know my husband can use this break.

Sorry you're canceling your trip to Norway, know you've been looking forward to it. If course it's probably better to err on the side of caution.

Sounds like your backup vacation will be nice though and at least you're getting away.

Lots of folks' vacations this year are getting the axe unfortunately. :sigh: I was supposed to meet up with my best friend from the states in London last weekend, who was due to layover on a business trip to india. But her (healthcare) company banned all international flights (wisely I think) so that got cancelled - much to our disappointment. I missed out seeing her last year in Barcelona because of my hip op. So we were both gutted. But in the past week so much has happened ...travel just seems like too much trouble at the moment. Nevertheless, sorry to hear about your disappointment, but Norway will be there waiting for you when all this contagion finally blows over...and you'll be even stronger and further along in recovery too! :walking:. Your 'staycation' to Canada sounds like a wonderful place for R and R. Enjoy!

Aww, bummer, CZ. So sorry to hear it. Your back up vacay sounds lovely though. I too enjoy going back to locales hubs and I’ve traveled to and enjoyed. He’s more adventuresome and wants to go somewhere new all the time. If I love a spot and only spent a week or less there, I don’t find it odd to want to return because I already know I’ll love it! There is always next year for Norway.
Have a great week!:wave:
@ceezee

CeeZee! I think that is very wise. But I'm sorry the situation is such that you had to cancel.
We are beginning to get a few (several) Covid-19 cases in our area.. it's driving me a bit nuts at my office. I figure you've heard the news also?
I definitely am interested in your Canadian getaway. I love the parts that I've been lucky enough to visit in the past.

I am sorry your trip is cancelled but better safe than sorry. Your Canada trip sounds awesome and relaxing and with all the outdoor activities you can build up some muscles and strength for the trip for next year.

Hello @ceezee :wave:

Wondering how you are doing these days.. I was thinking about how you walked for exercise at the shopping mall, none of us can do that now!
Lefty is quickly approaching it's 1 year anniversary. :yes: then soon after is righty's big day.. Hard to believe, isn't it??
Would love to hear an update.

Hi @CricketHip :flwrysmile:

Thanks for checking up on me!

Aside of dealing with the Coronavirus and the total hunkering down for what looks like more months here, I’m doing great. On Tuesday I got in the car for the first time in 6 weeks. My township, Lower Merion, is the hot spot in the county. My husband is working from home and it’s nice to have him around. I hope he can keep doing this until he finally retires.

Both hips are doing great! I’m so grateful to have gotten the surgeries done when I did. I’m able to physically do pretty much anything now and feel completely healed.

I’m still careful to avoid laying on my left side when sleeping and occasionally doing the exercises to prevent the numbness in my left thigh from returning. That’s the only lingering issue from that time and not related to the surgeries at all. It’s just my bad back.

Yesterday I realized I hadn’t checked to see how the scars looked in many months. :heehee:

I wish the best for everyone and I’m hoping things will get back to a better state so their surgeries can get scheduled and they can get on the road to recovery.

Happy Friday :wave:It is nice to hear from you, CZ.
A belated Happy Eleven Month Anniversary / Lefty!
I can‘t believe it’s going to be a year already next month. By the sound of your update you’re doing very well...such great news!

I’ll bet it felt great to get out in the car...a person can only stay indoors for so long these days before feeling a need to fly the coop. This pandemic is dragging on and I’m starting to avoid turning the tv on as there are more and more commercials related to the virus and it feels overwhelming at times.

I feel so sorry for those whose surgeries were canceled, it sounds like more and more areas are beginning to re-schedule elective surgeries which is some encouraging news.

Be safe, stay well and in touch. :)
@ceezee

Hi Ceezee, I have recently joined the forum following my THR on the 20th February and am feel I am making a good recovery so far the bone smart way.Wow!! What an amazing journey you have had. I found your thread really inspiring and encouraging.You have been through so much and I truly admire you for your positive attitude to it all, your mindset and determination to get there. Also loved reading about your culinary skills and your visits to restaurants and holiday to Canada. Awesome!! Hope all is well with yourself and hubby and that you are coping well with the restrictions due to the virus.These are difficult times for all. We are still in lockdown here in the UK. I wish you all the very best for the future. Stay safe and keep well.

@catlover55

Thank you for your kind comments! I’m glad they’ve been encouraging to you. :wave:

I found this forum soon after my first surgery and was posting just to get some information and found the wonderful help and support that everyone on this forum gives. I know for a fact that my journey would have been a hundred times more arduous without it. And I’m not sure I’d now be in this good place without it. I owe everyone a huge debt of gratitude.

Yesterday I was sitting on the floor, with legs crossed Indian style, scooping out cups from a 50 pound bag of artisan flour I had gotten from amazon. I’m moving it into airtight containers for long term storage. I love to bake and this flour is amazing. Anyway, my point is.... I didn’t even think twice about it. I just plunked down. What a gift this surgery has been. Not always easy and recovery ended up being a bit crazy but it all worked out. Slow and steady. You’ll hear that a lot and it’s accurate. No rush, give it time.

We‘re hunkered down here in Pennsylvania for what looks like a lot more longer. Luckily my hobbies are cooking and gardening and my husband can work from home. I’m retired and it’s really nice to have him around. I think with my pantry and the chest freezer in the basement I could manage for many many months without hitting a store. :heehee:

Trips right now are on hold, of course, but we’re still hoping to make it to Norway next year.

I want everyone to stay safe and healthy.

Yesterday I realized I hadn’t checked to see how the scars looked in many months.
I have no choice! I see mine, front and lateral each time I stand nekked in my bathroom. I'm so glad to read your update.. you've earned your freedom from the hip pain, for sure.

My goodness, I think we live fairly close to one another.. I'm just one township over and work in Lower Merion.. maybe after the shut down and etc are over, we should plan on a meetup! No worries if that's not your thing.
I had hoped to meet @Bfam85 in NYC someday but I doubt I'll get close to that city for a very long time :dubious:. But I'm sure there are other options.
Are you doing any walking with the dogs? Does that feel ok for the hips, too?

My goodness, I think we live fairly close to one another.. I'm just one township over and work in Lower Merion.. maybe after the shut down and etc are over, we should plan on a meetup!
I would love to meetup. Even if we’re still in the 6’ social distancing. After all we’ve been through that should be easy. I’m in Wynnewood.

That would be fun! Just let me get my husband through his stent procedure, they are finally able to do it on May 8th, next Friday. I am dreading it.. I know he won't be able to have me there with him and will be there overnight. We are quarantining extra diligently til then.

But would love to meet you soon.. :happydance:

Just let me get my husband through his stent procedure, they are finally able to do it on May 8th, next Friday. I am dreading it.
My husband had three stents done in two separate procedures. When he came out of the first one he looked 10 years younger. It’s very fast process and it’s a shame you can’t be there to see the transformation. It’s been over 10 years now.

Last edited:
Sounds like your really getting there Ceezee. You deserve it after all you've been through. I,m still fairly early with my recovery and so glad I found this forum, but thanks to the very helpful advice I have received here which I continue to follow with positive results, I'm doing fine. I now understand more about the healing process and how important it is to allow my body to heal and not to expect too much too soon. I had given up work four years ago to care for my husband who had been very I'll for many years. Heart issues,arthritis, diabetes to name but a few. He also took sepsis whilst in hospital whish he survived, but unfortunately finished off his kidneys and he had to have dialysis three days a week. I cared for him at home in between his sessions but lost him two years come June when he collapsed at home and died in my arms. Prior to his passing I had begun to have pain in my right hip which was manageable, but escalated after I lost my husband. ( Think I made it worse as I couldn't take being at home a lot and had to get out walking and didn't rest it much.) Had a bad flare up and X-ray showed hip was bone on bone and was put on the waiting list for replacement which I got in February. Surgeon seems to have done a good job, but can't have follow up until the pandemic is over which is understandable. This forum is a godsend for me. Has really helped me understand healing process and reassured me.Its so good to be in touch with members who are going through the journey and I take all advice offered on board.Ive never been a member of a forum before. Afraid I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to stuff like that. I'm not even on facebook lol. Also Ceezee, I meant to mention your beautiful dogs in my last post. They are gorgeous. I love all animals. Have a cat at present who bosses me around.her name is shadow. Wishing you well. Take care and stay safe. This will pass, hopefully soon and you will be able to have the holiday your so looking forward to and get back to normal living.

:wave:my friend.
How are you doing?
Hope you are still hip hip happy and staying safe whilst the world wobbles.

Hope today is a Good Day!

Hi @Mojo333 !

Yup, still good here. I could use more exercise as usual but aside from the odd day the weather here has been lousy. That’s my excuse anyway. :heehee:

It'll soon be a year since my first surgery and it seems like it’s been even longer than that. The other hip is following along nicely but not quite as strong as the first one. Just proves that time and patience is needed for at least the first year.

I now have a good selection of colorful masks to wear whenever outside and I have a feeling I’m going to need them for a long time.

Everyone needs to be careful and stay safe.

I now have a good selection of colorful masks to wear whenever outside and I have a feeling I’m going to need them for a long time.

:bawl::gaah::hairpulling::tantrum: That’s how I’m feeling about now :wink:
I YI YI...will it ever end, CZ?

I hope the weather cooperates and you have a lovely weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back