THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

Good morning ceezee! From Co. Springs :wave:
Wait, what? You are worried about a loose stem, what happened? or is it because you are still having pain and concerns about the fracture in that area?
which would make sense that it would add to your concerns.
I liked Fit4Family’s list of symptoms and they make sense after thinking about it. Glad you aren’t having those!
I liked your reminder about making sure we sit properly with our back muscles engaged. It’s a major big deal and a fact of life!
Now that the holidays are over, mall walking will be doable again:walking:
Especially since we seem to be in a rainy patch of weather in the East.

Has your surgeon even mentioned the possibility of a loose stem or a revision? Because if not, I hope you can put that thought out of your mind and relax as you wait for your upcoming appointment.
@CricketHip

He’s concerned because at my last appointment I still was feeling quite a bit of pain. He thought most, if not all, of it was probably caused by my back arthritis. But he wants to see me every 6 weeks until it gets totally figured out. I’m hoping that this pain down the right side of my thigh and at the outside of my knee is caused by gait changes. That area could not be caused by my back. And it’s recently gotten a bit worse. But it’s not constant.

He couldn't tell from that X-ray if the stem is loose or not but the fracture is totally healed for sure. It didn’t look shifted but he can’t tell if there was bone growth. He’s taking a new X-ray at the next appointment and it may or may not show a loose stem. He won’t consider a revision unless the pain is severe and won’t go away and there is no other explanation or if he can definitely see it in an X-ray.

So I’ll just see how it goes. It’s not like it constantly hurts....which makes me think it’s just muscular.

Actually I am very seldom a worrier and I’m getting annoyed by my worrisome thoughts about this. This is not like me at all. :chinstroke:

Good Morning :wave:
Please don't be so hard on yourself, CZ. Given the circumstances, the fracture and the restrictions basically stalling your recovery, it's been a rough road for you with your last THR and naturally you're looking for reassurance all is progressing as it should. You've basically been in recovery mode, or hindered, going on 7+ months and that could get to the most easy going and patient of us. I'm sorry you're feeling unsettled and worried. I wish I could make it go away. :console2:

Aside from the reminder you get when experiencing pain, I pray you can relax and find a sense of peace in it all. You're under the care and watchful eye of your surgeon and hopefully by the time your next visit rolls around the pain will have eased, or be completely gone. If not, it doesn't have to be worst case scenario. However, if it turns out to be a loose stem, you could and would deal with it. You seem to be a woman of fortitude with a devoted caring husband and loved ones who'd support you. And, you have us and you know we'd walk with you every step of the way, keeping you in thought, offering prayer, sending good vibes and all else people offer as hope filled gestures.

My prayer today is for your comfort and peace of mind. I hope you can relax without pain and do something that brings you joy this weekend.

We're here for you. Sending love, a hug, and wishes for a good day! :loveshwr:
@ceezee

Sad to hear you're still worried, totally get the feelings of fragility/ vulnerability that seem to accompany THR. The good thing I see from your post is that your OS seems to be a sensible man and is well on top of this niggling issue. Sending good karma across the pond, hoping your pains subside and become a thing of the past pronto. :flwrysmile: Time for a snuggle with a couple of cute pooches methinks. :puppysmooze:

@Layla, @CricketHip, @Calgal

Thanks dear friends for getting me out of my funk. Your wonderful guidance totally helped and I’m back to my senses. :yes!:

I was able to get past the most extreme soreness with a heating pad. Now I know something works a bit on it and that is a good thing.

Tonight is dinner with some old friends who now live in Australia. We’re going to a local restaurant/bar for drinks, great food, and catching up.

he wants to see me every 6 weeks until it gets totally figured out.

You are so fortunate to have such a watchful and concerned OS. Not everyone has a doctor who is so watchful. I am sorry to hear of your worry. :sad:

I am glad heat is helping, and I am glad you are listening to what you are feeling, to take good care of you.

I have arthritis in my spine too. I tend to agree with you about that pain on the side of your leg as your leg gets accustomed to a more tamed, and muscular hip.

this pain down the right side of my thigh and at the outside of my knee is caused by gait changes.

Enjoy your time out with friends, and if warmth helps you, please stay warm.

Awe. That’s what this forum is the best for, lifting up and support.
i get it now, but I think your body went through a lot. More than a lot!
You will get through this. I found a ton of improvements as I got closer to the 6 month mark and if you are still Allowing time for the fracture, etc. then you still have a ways to go to get there.
It’s the way we roll, though. Our minds just have to “go there” once in a while and play the “what if“ game.
Glad you have a great night planned. That’s always nice. :banana-santa:( gotta use him before he leaves til next year!)

Hey, you're welcome...that's what BoneSmart buds are for. It's wonderful to read you're feeling better both physically and emotionally. I hope you having a relaxing and enjoyable evening dining with friends as I type this.
Sweet dreams tonight! :sleep:
@ceezee

@ceezee hope you had a good night with your friends last night. Happy to hear that heat is helping with the pain, agree that seems like a good sign. Really sounds like you have a good surgeon there that really looks out for you.

Hello @ceezee

I am so sorry you have been worried. Your OS sounds excellent and on top of it. Assuming he took X-ray with a frog pose, with your toe pointed in. I will post my X-ray on 14th, when I am in next. To hopefully give you piece of mind.

That fracture is still bonding, even though it looks filled in it takes a long while. Please pm me any time. If I can help. Going to read back a bit and see if I can understand what you are feeling. Hugs sweet friend.

Edited. I never could have walked for three hours. Not even 30 minutes. Just read about Long Wood Gardens.

Last edited:
After my last period of funk about 10 days ago I have much better update this time. The sharp pain on the side of my knee/thigh which had been bad for weeks kept going for several more days and then eased up. It was replaced by a constant dull ache for a few more days. And now for almost a week that last ache is also gone. :yes!: Nothing short of a miracle. I guess it was that area’s last gasp of sorts.

Everyone’s encouragement and support was invaluable in getting me to think straight about that difficulty and just working through it. I calmed down and kept saying to myself it’ll pass and if it doesn't I’ll deal with it then.

So many improvements! I’m going up and down stairs with zero problems. I no longer think about what leg to push off with when going up a curb. I’ve passed time not thinking about the hip replacements at all. I sat through a 3 hour movie this weekend and got up without feeling stiff. With this unseasonably warm weather over the weekend I did some pruning that I didn’t get to do at all last year. Sure, I was sore and stiff last night, especially my quads, but this morning I feel fine. I’m able to to squat down and I still need to get up in an ungainly manner, but I can do it. That’s just strength that needs to be built up. And an area around my incision is still sore/tender but that’s normal.

I did make some small adjustments. I threw away a favorite pair of old shoes that were no help in getting better. I’m vigilant about my gait and keeping my back straight. I think the biggest help for it all was dealing with my back.

My next OS appointment is in 2 weeks and I’m kinda looking forward to it. :happydance:

It’s been 5 1/2 months since my last surgery which had the fracture issue that kicked me back 2 months of recovery so I’m looking pretty darn good for my reset time of 3 1/2 months...or 5 1/2 months for that matter.

Thank you all!!!

What a wonderful update, CZ. I'm so very happy for you. :happydance:
Thank you for taking the time to share with all of us. Your words may benefit many and encourage those behind you who may deal with the same.
Have a wonderful Tuesday and week. :)
@ceezee

You are looking darn good, Indeed, dear @ceezee :egypdance:
Onward and upward!!!!

Last edited:
Wonderful, wonderful news!
Your patience has really paid off @ceezee and I’m so happy for you.
You are the picture of grace under pressure.
You are correct about having diligence in how we walk and hold our posture.
I also still find it important in my day to day activities.
Yay ceezee!!! :chuckmarch::kitty: :bow:

:cheers2::thumb::yahoo::spin::dancy::beer: :yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!::yes!:

I just got back from my latest OS appointment. It was 6 weeks after my previous one and nearly 6 months since my RTHR but only 4 months since I was allowed to fully walk on that leg.

My OS said the X-rays look great, my complaints about the right thigh being sometimes sore on the outer side is due to my ongoing back issues, the fracture has completely healed and is undetectable, there is no indication of a loose stem (I did have the frog X-ray as well as straight from the front), and both hips look strong and solid.

Of course he’s always available if I need him but the bottom line is my next checkup with him is in 10 years. :wow:

Bonesmart really helped me to stay the course and the continuing superb support from the wonderful people on here was instrumental in keeping me going. Bonesmart = Best Recovery is true.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads