THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

@Layla, thanks for reminding me about hip [HASH=147]#2![/HASH]

Thanksgiving was wonderful with family and friends over to gorge on the meal I make every year. I was overjoyed to be able to pull it off this year without jumping into ODIC. I was tired at the end of the night but it was a good tired.

This past Monday I had a massage by my good friend (a LMT) and afterwards she made a great observation about how I was still not walking straight down onto leg with hip#2. I’d been doing that for so long it had come to seem normal. So since then I’ve been carefully watching and insuring that both legs are straight. It has made a HUGE difference in how sore I feel. The first day after it was even more painful but thereafter, each day, it’s been getting looser and stronger. On Friday I had virtually no pain just stiffness by the end of the day. Stiff and sore is not the same as pain.

Yesterday we went out for brunch to celebrate our anniversary at a Four Seasons restaurant on the 60th floor of a new building in town. What a feast and what a view. We took the regional train into town and back (free for seniors!) and had a wonderful day. So last night I was a little more sore and tired.

This morning has been pain free so far. This afternoon we’re going over to our nephew’s place for football watching and food. And our goal this morning is to put up and decorate our tree. A few years ago we broke down and bought an artificial tree but I have all my mother’s ornaments plus the ones I’ve accumulated over the years. It’s 27°F out so it feels a little more like Christmas is near.
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

I do believe I may have just met the magical 4 Month Anniversary improvement that so many people report. Even with my two month sideline due to the fracture. :fingersx:

Edit to add: and the numb painful skin on my left thigh is still oh so slowly getting better. :happydance:

What a great update, CZ, thanks for sharing. :)
I'm guessing they loved your spread on Thanksgiving! Interesting observation from your friend the massage therapist. I'll bet you're thankful for her insight and the relief you're obtaining in being more mindful of your gait. That's awesome!

Four Seasons for brunch, sounds lovely. Happy Anniversary to you two lovebirds. Sounds like you celebrated in style.

I have an artificial tree too. A white flocked and I actually love it. Believe it or not, it doesn't shed flocking nor does it have to be fluffed. Couldn't be happier. I don't want to water the tree, vacuum up pine needles, nor worry about fires these day. I must be getting old. :heehee:

Enjoy your day decorating the tree and watching football at your nephews.
I'd be nervous to have you over and try to satisfy your sophisticated palate with traditional football fare. I'd blame the burnt nachos and wings on hubs and just sit back sipping a glass of Vino, hahaha!

Have a great Sunday!
@ceezee

Four months is sounding like a magical month for you!
It is wonderful to read how your life is getting back to normal after two hip replacements this year.
You were lucky your friend has a good eye for body movements and was able to help point out what you needed to correct.
Hoping that nerve pain will be unnoticeable one day.
Happy Anniversary!
@ceezee

Yippee yippee double hippie! :dancy: You've felt the 'magic' of 4 months!! SO happy for you! Good advice and perception from your friend. Might look at my own gait again with different eyes. Ps my latest batch of field blend 1 came out looking like a picture in the book. Success! Thanks for all the hip and culinary advice over our recovery. X :loveshwr:

Wishing you a Happy Four Month Anniversary for your hip and Happy Anniversary to you and hubby! Brunch at the Four Seasons sounds very nice and a great way to celebrate.

Great update, @ceezee! It seems like you're steaming ahead and doing grand. Any meal at a Four Seasons is usually good in my opinion, and it sounded like a lovely brunch, with excellent food and a view to match. And happy anniversary!

HI CZ :wave: You know what?? a week ago on Monday I swear I saw someone in a WaWa in Havertown that looked similar to your avatar picture.. I almost said CeeZee??
But I restrained..
I continue to be so impressed with your recoveries, which gave you a big bump in the road.
I like the feedback that you received from your MT friend and glad you are keeping on top of it.
So? What's up for Christmas?
I began incorporating some easy weight lifting over the weekend.. so far so good. then a nice hot soak. :bath:

You know what?? a week ago on Monday I swear I saw someone in a WaWa in Havertown that looked similar to your avatar picture.. I almost said CeeZee??
I get that a lot. I must have one of those faces. When we were in Montréal just a while ago the whiskey bar owner showed me a picture of a relative of theirs in Europe who looked much like me. And when I went to Sweden, where all of my grandparents were born, I had an aha moment....now I know who I look like. Same build, same basic face shape, and same thin fine hair. I felt at home.

That wasn’t me, but it could have been. I live less than a mile away.

My next checkup is Monday. I’d like to feel perfect by then but that’s not going to happen. It’s all still a work in progress. My original operated on hip, the left, is in excellent shape. (Forgetting the stupid numb thigh.) And I’m now going up and down steps with foot after foot. Wow, that took a while. My right hip is certainly getting better by the week but still is sore and gets tired easily. Watching my alignment and gait has been incredibly helpful.

Sleeping hasn’t been all that great for a while but that is entirely due to two adults and two whippets in the same bed. Ripple wants to be a close as possible to me and I end up getting pushed to the edge. We’re getting the spare bedroom, where I slept for 4+ months recovering with one whippet, painted this week. I’m debating heading back to it so I can get a decent nights sleep. I only used it so my husband wouldn’t keep getting woken up when I’d get up to use the loo. I know my husband would rather we just put up with the current situation but I’m ambivalent.

Well phooey! Sorry to hear about the sleep.. we need good sleep to heal properly. At least I think so. I have a possessive cat that tries to keep pinned to me at night.. she's bad enough! the poor dog can't jump into the bed any longer, his hips are too painful. he must take after me.

Hubby and I sleep in separate rooms during the work week, I go to bed much later than him and he gets up at 5 am. I toss and turn, etc. It just makes more sense.
You mentioned earlier that the nerve pain continues to subside, that is good to hear. That was pretty awful how that just flared up after one night of side sleeping.
I'm thinking more frequent massage may be the answer ;-) But I am biased. PS my checkup is tomorrow! Will post on my thread about it afterwards..

CZ it’s good to hear you are getting stronger as time goes on. Each success seems like it is building on another. It’s what we all hope for and you have been able to resume many activities.:bow:
“...feeling perfect..” what a great, positive thought to strive for. You may not be there yet, but in time I believe you will get there.
I had to giggle about the dog in bed scenario. My “woolly mammoth“ does not like me sleeping in the tilt chair, and he makes it known.
I hope you figure out how to get some good sleep.

Sleeping hasn’t been all that great for a while but that is entirely due to two adults and two whippets in the same bed.
Wow, that's a full house at night. You guys must have a huge bed to accommodate. I love to cuddle with our spaniel, but I have the same problem getting pushed to the edge. We've only got room here in tiny UK bedroom for a US queensize bed. :boohoo: Wish there was room for a (US) king size! But methinks no matter how big a bed, doggies will still push you to the edge. :puppysmooze:. Happy dreams.

Happy belated Anniversary @ceezee Love that you celebrated in style at the Four Seasons. Will be eager to hear your updates from your OS appointment. Really remarkable how well you are doing at only 4 months. Testimony to what a great mind set you have had and following that BS way to recovery. Hope your nerve settles in your other hip. Take care.

I just got out of my 4 month (4 1/2 months actually) check up for my right hip. That’s the one that had the fracture. I told him that I’m still feeling sore and achy and discomfort in that hip and thigh but that it’s much better than a month ago and even 2 weeks ago. He showed me the X-ray from my last post op visit (6 weeks ago) and he explained how it’s not possible to see positive bone growth from an X-ray. A X-ray might however show a failure of bone growth. Like if the stem shifted. That last X-ray looked fine.

I’m to keep seeing him every 6 weeks until I’m generally pain free. At the next appointment I’ll get another X-ray to compare. Then it’ll have been 3 months between them and would be of use.

So, no restrictions on anything...as he said, just live life.
Snow blowing here we come! :snow:

I very much like he’s being careful in monitoring this recovery. He twice mentioned Do Not Compare This Recovery To Your Other Hip. Where did I hear that before? :chinstroke:

I’m going to work on doing more and longer walking. I may end up back at the mall for walks. That worked great in the oppressive heat of the summer.

Sounds like an excellent report @ceezee I am glad he will watch you closely. Living life was the whole point of this journey. So happy for you that restrictions are lifted. Snow blowing aside, have fun!:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

Glad to hear all seems well at this point and you can “live life.” :snow:
I did not know an x-ray will not show bone in-growth. It would be encouraging to see it, but for now have a good time feeling well and enjoying your winter plans.:yahoo:

Good report, happy you're getting back on with living life! I'm totally with you on doing more and walking more, definitely going to be upping my game in the near future.
:banana-santa: :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

I was actually hoping he’d just say everything is perfect and I’ll see you again in 6 months so it kind of took me aback when he was more cautious.

Because I couldn’t even tell that my femur had fractured by how i felt I don’t have the confidence to tell if the stem may have come loose.

But I’m going to follow his advice and put unsubstantiated niggling doubt out of my mind. That seems like a good plan!

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: @ceezee
I can imagine I would be cautiously optimistic too, and Careful.
Live life. Yep...
Snow blowing here we come!
Oh my stars...:nah:Hope you leave this to someone else.:snow plough:
At least for 6 more weeks?
Hope your holidays are happy and bright, double hippy pal.:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Shhhh!
Did you tell anybody that? Hubby?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom