THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

Ok, Martha....I'm mean CZ. :heehee:

You are one domestic goddess! I really wish I enjoyed cooking, but I don't. I view anything too involved as a big mess I'll have to clean up. You're blessed hubs helps in that area. I'll bet your decor and tablescape will be beautiful!
Have fun with it all!

So you only do fancy stuff when you've had a bad day at work?? :heehee: Now that we are retired and theoretically have all the time in the world, I never seem to have time for much of anything! (Except my artisan sourdough baking you got me hooked on! Second batch doing bulk fermentation at the moment!)

They also have both wheelchairs and scooters to use if you can’t do all that walking
I had a blast using one of those scooters at one of our National Trust stately homes earlier this year before my surgery, when I was suffering with severe trochanteric bursitis. Woo hoo! Freedom without pain! My hubs took a video of me and dubbed it to the Benny Hill theme tune. :rotfl:. Hope you enjoy the Christmas displays, walking or otherwise. :thumb:

Oh, I think gardens are the perfect place to get in some exercise and I remember going to Longwood Gardens when I went to college near Philadelphia--they were so gorgeous and I bet their Christmas displays are phenomenal. Your cornucopia and calligraphy place cards sound beautiful, @ceezee . I don't host Thanksgiving as we go to my sister-in-law's house but we do Christmas here. No place cards but a Christmas cracker at every place setting and some candles--that's big time decorating in my book! I bet your holiday dinners are all going to be wonderful. My task every year is to find something simple and tasty, with spotty results unfortunately. Being retired means you can reach for the stars in terms of meal planning and preparation--you'll have to post some pictures of your holiday tables. Cheers, and have a good weekend.

:hi: @ceezee !! How was your day at Longwood? We were there a few weeks back and it was a beautiful fall day. We walked a lot but I avoided The Meadow.
I hope you enjoyed it and you are not feeling the after effects of it today. :walking:

It was incredible! The Japanese installation went beyond my hopes. I had studied with the arrangers grandfather when I lived in japan in the mid 70’s. It’s the Sogetsu school.

I ended up walking about 5 miles overall. Plus tons of standing. I was pretty stiff but I was forcing myself to have the best gait that was possible. Not only do I not feel more sore today. I actually feel much better and stronger. I’m getting closer to being ok.

Today is a lay around and read day but tomorrow it’s off to the National Dog Show and try to catch the whippets. That’ll be a bit of walking but mainly standing. And we’re going back to the Capital Grille again for a splendid dinner of wagyu burgers.

Life is good!

:hi: Hi there!
It sounds like Longwood Gardens should definitely be on a list of places to visit if I ever make it to Philly. It's interesting that even though you're sore today after walking five miles, you're feeling better / stronger. That's awesome, CZ, I'm happy for you!

I hope you're enjoying a lazy Saturday afternoon before the activity of the National Dog Show and dinner out again tomorrow. Enjoy!!
@ceezee

Walking is the best medicine it seems! Along with doing something really enjoyable, a perfect combination. We'll done you! And I'm drooling just thinking of wagyu burgers.

Good morning, @ceezee. I think exercise is so much easier when it's really just a fun social event, like walking around beautiful gardens. It doesn't feel like "exercise" as our hearts and minds are fully engaged, and worrying and fussing about how we're doing physically just fades away. Some stiffness was to be expected but sounds like no long lasting effects. I am glad you had a wonderful time, and impressive that you got in those five miles!

It was a wonderful day and the colder weather felt great. I love bundling up and it wasn’t so cold that frost bite was an issue. Plus it was sunny. It was just what I needed to get the “motion is lotion” working. I’ve found that one day slightly pushing it followed by a day of ease builds my strength more than anything else.

Over the years I’ve tried but gym exercises and equipment just don’t get me in the shape I need for real life activities. I need to be able to spend the day walking around towns and parks on uneven terrain, picking up luggage and getting it on and off a train, getting into and out of a boat, carrying loads of groceries into the house, etc. The treadmill got me into shape for using the treadmill. :heehee: It did easily help with cardio but so does moving fast with a load. As my OS said, just walk and for cardio just walk faster. Plus the gym is soooooo boring to me...I think it’s whatever works best for a particular person‘s needs.

Tomorrow I have my first PT session to teach me that MacKinsie (sp?) Method that we’re hoping will help with my sad left thigh and it’s painful numbing and pins/needles. It’s been happening since mid-August and the Gabapentin is helping but it’s still very sore to the touch. I’ve upped the dose at night based on the spine doctors recommendation and it lets me sleep better. :fingersx:

@ceezee I think you are right about one day one for “motion lotion” and one day off, in terms of what I have seen mentioned in this forum and the ODIC.
I am glad to hear you had a good day.

I am so sorry to hear that leg is still giving you such pains. I do hope the McKenzie method helps to sort it out. It is amazing what some special gentle, techniques can do over time.

@cezze,, we are so fortunate to have both Longwood and Winterthur in close proximity. We love them both.
I am so interested in your experience with the McKenzie Method! Please keep us posted on this. I've heard good things about that technique from various clients..
I hate hearing that your left thigh is still so bothersome. That has to be beyond annoying. But then you still seem to be out and about enjoying life! Good for you!

Good luck with the McKenzie method. Heck, whatever works! I'll try anything once. Wishing you comfort and reduction in all that niggling tingling.

Progress! :wowspring:

I’ve gone to two PT sessions this week to address the pain/tingling in my left thigh. My PT has been terrific and I’ve been able to cut back on the Gabapentin (getting off it gradually is recommended) with no ill effects. I have a list of stretching exercises to do at home that are easy and so far so good. I have two more sessions scheduled for next week and then one more the week after if I need it. She stretches me and does a fairly rigorous soft tissue massage mainly on the back but also some in the front. Then it’s ultrasound on a really bad spot followed by STEM and ice packs. It all takes over 1 1/2 hours.

In addition, today (sound the horns ) I was able to go up the stairs in my house twice with no aids. The first time was intentional and the second time I just did it. So, huge progress there and my right leg is clearly getting stronger and less painful.

She was impressed by the fact my legs are now completely even. It’s nice to hear that from someone other than your OS. :heehee:

Great news and progress! I'm happy for you. :)
Well deserved after your setback. Keep it coming!
I hope you have a lovely weekend. :SUNsmile:
@ceezee

Fantastic news!!! Your PT sounds great! Lucky you for landing such a good one. Soooo glad you're feeling progress so quickly. Fingers crossed a few more sessions will do the trick for good. Happy dance time. :happyfeet:

Hi there, @ceezee, nice to read that the lengthy PT session provided some relief, that must have been encouraging. And being able to take the stairs without assistance--woo, hoo! You are truly chugging along and making progress which is great. I totally get that gym exercise if boring for you, just as I find walking to be a big drag. It's interesting how different types of exercise appeal to each of us differently. But, we all ARE different so it really shouldn't be a big surprise. As I've said before, I think the key is finding out what works for each of us and then doing that. Regardless of what we prefer, I think it's fairly safe to say that we'll all get to the end of the road at some point, and that's what it's all about. Have a great Saturday!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom