THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

@ceezee you sound good for the most part. Sleeping through the night with just a bathroom break, priceless!

Sorry you're having issues getting your meds straight. If you run out of the Oxy and need to use the Tramadol there is a usage chart here in the forum of using the Tylenol and tramadol together, might be helpful. The switch from walker to cane will come soon enough though like most of us it's an exercise in patience.

Hi @ceezee
It's good to hear from you! It sounds like you're doing well. I'm sorry you're waking in such pain though.
I'll leave the chart below that Elf1 mentioned in case it comes in handy at some point.
You're lucky you're sleeping well overnight, many find sleep elusive.
I hope you have another peaceful night and wonderful week! Thanks for updating. :friends:

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

This is a schedule Josephine has posted and I believe used, herself.
I've seen this followed up by the statement that if you're using this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.

Oh ceezee sounds like you have had quite a time of it. It must have been unbearably hard having a second surgery on the close tail of the first. This is definitely more difficult than a bilateral at the same time.I had a pill container with days and am /pm 4x each day indicated on it but I didn't use it but the chart above sounds very helpful.
You have those wonderful fur companions to keep you company and ease your worried mind a little.I saw the photos Layla kindly sent me and those little babies are so cute. Keep posting on your recovery and it gets better.

Thanks @mikeycat but I can’t believe that it’s more difficult than a bilateral! No way!

Before my over 3 years of denial that my hips were an issue I used to sleep only on my back. But those years had me constantly shifting in bed and switching sides to get comfortable at least for a while and I was no longer okay on my back. After these two surgeries and basically being forced to mainly sleep on my back for weeks and weeks I finally find it the most comfortable position again. This is wonderful and a totally unexpected bonus!

Yesterday I had a small birthday party in my back garden for one of my nephews. Just six of us and brought in food. We had gorgeous weather and playing with the dogs was fun. My other nephew is a physical therapist assistant and he has been a huge help to me throughout this whole process and he came through again. One of my annoyances has been that I’m still on the walker and to get out into the back garden has been impossible for me to do alone. He gave me the best tip! If I collapse the walker and use it like a cane in one hand along with in my case the door jam and outdoor grill or even better would be a a side railing if I had one, I can safely get outside on my own during the day. I’m very slow and careful while I do it. Freedom!

This is Day Two of my new med protocol and so far so good. Last night I slept completely through the night for the first time from 11 until 7 without even a bathroom break. I hate to set alarms to wake up during the night to fully use the chart recommendations above so I’m still skipping an overnight dose. It took a while for my muscles to loosen up even a bit after taking the oxycodone but after that happened, having my morning coffee, and using ice I feel better than I have so far in this second surgery.

My next activity today is to sit outside for a bit with the pups before it gets too hot. I finally feel I’m making some progress.

Now to get off the walker.....I know, just enjoy the day and be patient! :flwrysmile:

Hurray for you, @ceezee, don't you just love a full night's sleep with no interruptions?! I am also amazed that you actually find back sleeping comfortable. I do sleep on my back, as side sleeping is still uncomfortable, but I am really looking forward to the day--I hope in the not too distant future--when I can easily roll from side to back and back again without waking up and groaning! Glad the new medication protocol is working for you. And love your plan for today of getting outside to sit outside with the pups--a wonderful start to your day--enjoy!

So happy to read you are sleeping better and have a new found way to get outside. @ceezee

Sunshine is such a huge help for keeping optimistic. I bet your second hip starts healing quickly with good sleep. How is lefty doing now? Hoping you have a matched set of happy hips very soon. Three years of painful sleep is so much to endure. Hope your recovery is smooth for righty.

Good Afternoon :wave:
It's wonderful to begin sleeping soundly again after months (longer for some) of broken sleep.
It makes for a much better start to the day. It sounds like you enjoyed the birthday party you hosted in your outdoor garden for your nephew. It's so satisfying to begin socializing again after those initial first days, or weeks, of hibernation. I'm sure a good time was had by all. I bet you'll be off the walker soon, it's still early days at only 15 days post op. You'll get there...you're doing great. Keep it up! :wink:
@ceezee

The idea of evenly spacing out the meds is a good one. Worked for me. Something good was always on the way as the one before was petering out.

Having the second just as the first was probably getting manageable is brave - sort of like having another baby when the first is just out if diapers....back to the grind again! :sigh: But at least it's over and you're on your way to dancing all night in new year's eve! :dancy:

Hi my double hippy friend!
You have persevered beautifully and it's nice to hear that you have gotten things sorted to the extent you are able to get some restorative sleep.
Well done so far...when this recovery is "on the short rows" ...I shall be celebrating with you.

Keep the faith, @ceezee

Thanks everyone!

It’s interesting how your body seems to know significant time passages. My left hip had it’s 12 week anniversary last Friday and somehow it started to feel much better. Turned a corner. My right hip had it’s 2 week anniversary yesterday and it also feels like it turned a corner. Anyway, I’ll take it! Of course it didn’t hurt that I straightened out the meds situation. :chinstroke:

Today’s highlight was the massage I got from a good friend who’s a massage therapist. The benefit of this shouldn’t be underestimated. She’s thinks I’m doing great and this hip is healing much quicker than the other. Overall it’s certainly less painful than the other was at this point.

I’m thinking I’ll stick to the walker at least until I can walk as well with cane as with it. The big advantage of the walker is I don’t lean but stay straight between the arms. This keeps my gait the way it should be and I glide along.

Tomorrow I’ll have to decide if I want to go out for the first time since my surgery. My neighbor wants to take me out for lunch if I feel up to it. We’re playing it by ear. My appetite hasn’t been the best so I’m not sure it’s worth getting a meal out but maybe that’ll perk it up.

Last edited:
@ceezee I say go for lunch if you're feeling up to it, think it will make you feel much better. You can always just order an appetizer or salad if the appetite is still off. Then again, there's always a doggie bag if you get a full entree! :snork:

@ceezee you are doing well! I think staying on the walker makes good sense. You’ve got 2 new hips.. and they are treating you well. That walker is rewarding them with stability.
I somehow envy you the diminished appetite.
Mine seems to have grown with each day.
I wonder if you’ll get out tomorrow?
I’m sure your friend wont mind delaying a week if you end up wanting to remain home.
:flwrysmile:

It’s interesting how your body seems to know significant time passages

Totally agree! One day things just sort of click and you're on to the next phase of healing. So good both of yours seem to be making strides at the same time! My one is 1 week later than your first and I've noticed wonderful things happening just recently too. Around three months seems to be a game changer for a lot of hipsters. You're rockin this! Way to go @ceezee ! :egypdance:

Oh so happy for you that you are experiencing less pain than the first hip replacement. Sounds like it will be a nice change for you going out to lunch with a friend. Go if you feel up to it but listen to your body.

You can’t stop me now! :happydance:

I did make it out for lunch and had the very best hamburger. :yes!: Or at least it seemed like it. It was wonderful to get out and chat with my delightful neighbor who had just gotten back from a week in Berlin.

And tomorrow night we’re going out for an early dinner with my sister in law and her husband at a local restaurant we all love. Then on Sunday my husband wants to take me out for a fantastic grilled lobster dinner at another one of our favorite restaurants. Our area has blossomed over the past few years with some incredible restaurants. And due to Pennsylvania’s crazy liquor license system most of them are BYOB and that means we can bring a good bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner without paying 2-3 times the retail price.

I don’t think I overdid it and when I got home I used ice as insurance and took a nap with Ripple. If I base it on today, my appetite appears to be back. I’ve lost 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks but that’ll come back quickly I’m sure.

Sounds like some wonderful dining experiences you are having and anticipating, @ceezee As long as the seating is comfortable (or you can bring a cushion) then it will work. For me, even with comfortable seating I've realized that sitting for more than 30 minutes straight tends to "lock up" my hip so that standing up is harder and it takes a moment or two to straighten up and walk normally. But I love dining out (great food, no prep or clean up--what's not to love?!) and happy to hear that you're enjoying these experiences. Happy Friday!

Thanks @Barbaraj ! For some reason this second weird hip was comfortable when sitting from the first day. It must be how the incision was done. And no tennis ball butt either. But stiffness and straightening when getting up is certainly an issue. It’s a “give me a second to move” moment.

Along with going out for great food I love to cook. And that’s been on the back burner, so to speak, for quite a few months now and it’s frustrating. I don’t like going out to eat, besides grabbing a burger or pizza, when I know I can cook it better. Actually even pizza. :heehee:

Good Afternoon! :hi:
Nothing beats a good old restaurant burger and some interesting conversation with a friend on one of your first outings. Good for you! Happy to hear your back amongst the living. At least that's what it felt like to me after being cooped up for a couple weeks.

I love hearing stories from those who've returned from travels abroad. Always so interesting. My mom was a travel agent and I've heard my share of captivating stories as she traveled the world throughout her career.

It sounds like your weekend is already planned and I'd imagine you're looking forward to the dining experiences with loved ones. Congrats on the weight loss! Might be difficult to keep that off with this weekends plans.
Cross your fingers and enjoy....you've earned it!
@ceezee

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom