THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

I don't think you'll overdo it. I think you're wiser than that through reading enough cautionary tales here.
Your body has been through a lot recently, in a short amount of time. You seem to be doing well and most everyone experiences some odd symptom during recovery. I did myself. I'm quite sure you'll get a logical explanation as I mentioned above so why not have one less concern? That's the way I see it anyway. It shouldn't bother them to talk to you for 5 mins and offer some reassurance. Let us know if you end up calling.
@ceezee

Oh, @ceezee That first week in recovery, at least this time, was really the pits for me, seemingly a lot worse than the first time around, and if the swelling is really troubling you I am glad to read you'll maybe be contacting your OS. I was on the phone to mine by day 3 as I had at that point developed this revolting rash all around the incision (allergic reaction to the glue strip they used) and I remember the following day I felt so miserable, as if this was the WORST recovery ever and why did I do this?!! I think everybody has meltdowns and struggles. But, as you know, having had one hip done already, it WILL get better. Sure, hips are different but in the end I think (or choose to believe) that we're all going to get there and it's just a matter of time and you'll be doing better. Just think, 2020 is probably going to be pretty darn fabulous! Hope you're feeling better today.

Thinking of you this afternoon, hope the swelling has eased.
It's such early days and those first few weeks can be tough when we tend to question every little thing.
With any luck you've received some reassurance from the OS and you're resting comfortably.
Sending a warm hug. :friends:
@ceezee

Thinking of you @ceezee That first week is rough. Hope you got some answers on increased swelling and numbness. My husband reminded me the other day of the pathetic things I would write on my white board. I lost my voice. Around day 5, I wrote. “This surgery is barbaric. Why did I let them do this to me?” So yeah, not a bowl of cherries to be sure. One thought on swelling more this time may be that it is summer time. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you. Take care. :yes:

The PA called me back and said the numbness is not usual and seems like a pinched nerve from laying on that side for so long. I’ve never layed on it for more than an hour or two and this was 5 hours. It’s now easing a bit on the front but the out side is still very numb. I’m to keep an eye on it, avoid laying on that side for now, and call her back on Wednesday with how it’s going. She was tickled that I called them Hip #1 and Hip #2. She said the swelling is normal and to keep on with the icing and elevation. And I shouldn’t increase the Celebrex over the 1 per day I take now.

This hip recovery is so different from the first it’s amazing. Much more swelling and it’s incredibly black and blue. But no log leg and no LLD.

I’m lucky I have the Lounge Doctor. It makes sleeping on my back in bed easy. And that means I wake up in the morning with almost no swelling to fight.

My husband went back to work today (maybe to escape? :snork:). So it’s just me and the sweet pups. Whippets are the perfect breed to cuddle with during recovery. It feels like Ripple has always been part of the family. She fits right in.

Glad your doctor was reassuring. Swelling can cause all kinds of symptoms.. I had more swelling this time, too and it extended over to "hip # 1" :loll:
I would rest on my bed with something similar to the lounge dr. and did deep diaphragmatic breathing with some stomach compressions.. it sounds weird but the core or trunk of our body is key in keeping our lymphatic system flowing) there are a lot of lymph nodes/ vessels there) and doing that with my feet up helped to ease a good bit of my swelling. It would return but I could counter it when I rested.

You sound great and hearing about Ripple makes me so happy for you. We are big fans of adopting adult dogs and they bring so much joy to our home.

Good to hear! It's always nice to be reassured. We often hear that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person, but I imagine until you experience it, it's hard to relate. Given the choice, I'd take the less favorable of the two recoveries first to get it over with.

You're lucky you can sleep with the Lounge Doctor, I can't. I used to try and would end up kicking it off the bed. I imagine you are reaping the benefits if you're able to elevate that often / long.

I do think our men need a break on ocassion. Doesn't matter if we're the best patients in the world, they're often stuck doing what we normally do and I'm sure it gets tiring. I started telling mine to leave for a few hours daily after about a week and a half. It was good for both of us.

It's fortunate you have your pups to keep you company. I don't find it hard to believe that Ripple feels like she's always been a part of your family. She has a confident and comfortable look about her in the photo you posted.
Have a great night!
@ceezee

Ohhh that's so sweet, snuggling with mama! :puppysmooze: I agree, this time around I have had more swelling and outer thigh soreness along with the knee pain. No more swelling now however I'm icing the knee more and that is helping alot. Someone here told me the muscles and such are still needing the ice for the inflammation that is still in muscles. Take care and give those four legged nurses a cookie for me!

Oh I forgot..... my other hip does ache some also and soreness across my back just above the hips. I feel it when I walk Lucy. Everything trying to balance out I figure.

@CricketHip The lymphatic system manipulation sounds very interesting. I’ll have to do some googling to find some techniques to try.

Ripple’s new collar comes on Wednesday and by then I’m on my second week where I can walk down to the mailbox. Happy days all around!

Sounds like you got some needed reassurance from your doctor's office, @ceezee, and your post sounded a bit more positive and upbeat than the one before. I completely agree that hip #1 and hip #2 are very different even if they're attached to the same body! My experiences are different than yours, but I absolutely notice the difference between the two, both before and now post surgery. But, as you know, hip #2 will be catching up with hip #1 by year's end and you'll be striding confidently into 2020! Glad you have your dogs to keep you company now that your husband is returning to work. My husband is semi-retired but I have encouraged him to leave the house regularly for work or exercise during my recovery, for his own sanity--and mine, as it is so tempting to whine to him if he's around all the time. When he's gone I have the place to myself and can mutter grumpily to my heart's content. Hope today goes better for you. Happy Tuesday!

The lymphatic system manipulation sounds very interesting. I’ll have to do some googling to find some techniques to try.

I found this interesting explanation written by Jamie regarding the lymph system -

It's the lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So the point is to get any fluid to the lymph nodes in the torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and things go much faster if gravity helps in the process. So the fluid isn't really draining into the hips, it's contained within the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

Elevation is helpful and I know you're already good friends with the Lounge Doctor. :wink:
I'm sure you'd find great benefit from lymphatic massage. The whole topic and the way our bodies function is nothing short of amazing!
Happy Tuesday to you! :wave:
@ceezee

Today is Day 7 since surgery on hip #2 and week one just flew by. Hah, just joking. :rotfl:

It’s really dragging. I think it’s because I’m getting some symptoms that I escaped before. On one hand I have much better mobility and somewhat less pain. But this time I’m getting much more swelling and this crazy numbness. So far that’s a trade off I’ll take. Also, when I had the first side done the weather was wonderful and I could spend hours outside watching the birds, reading, and playing with the dog. This time I’m trapped inside and that’s not likely to change over the month because of right leg driving restrictions. A giant plus of course is now having Ripple for company in addition to the always marvelous Loki.

Yet another very positive note is that my husband who is semi-retired with a job he loves is able to relax more this time and not be so worried about me. Right from the start he could see the mobility and pain reduction improvements compared to the other hip.

And by the time I made to the end of writing this post a thunderstorm came through, the temperature outside dropped to 71°, the sun came out, and the hummingbirds reappeared. And....my mood has improved and the funk is gone! Now for some lunch and possibly a nap. Mainly, writing it down helped get it out of my system.

I’ve said it before.... This forum is a godsend.

And by the time I made to the end of writing this post a thunderstorm came through, the temperature outside dropped to 71°, the sun came out, and the hummingbirds reappeared. And....my mood has improved and the funk is gone! Now for some lunch and possibly a nap.

And all the angels sang, lol. Great to hear it. Enjoy the day!

You sound pretty good for day 7 and seem to have some excellent company to help get you through the day. How nice that your funk has now gone and the sun is shining and birds are singing.

Yay, @ceezee, nice to read the funk has gone and you're feeling more comfortable and your mood has been boosted a bit. It's nice when that happens, isn't it? And a nap, especially early on, does wonders for one, mind and body. And now it's Wednesday, so happy hump day! You're doing great, just keep it up!

:hi: Happy Sunday!
How are you doing? Is the swelling and numbness easing at all?
We haven't heard from you in a few days. Leave us an update when you're feeling up to it. Would love to hear how you're doing.
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday!
@ceezee

good morning @ceezee :flwrysmile: Isn't our weekend weather just wonderful? We so needed this little break.
Is your swelling receding?
I'm on our front porch watching the lazy stirring of our neighborhood. I guess I should get dressed, though. It's not a pretty sight sitting here in my rumpled jammies and bed head.. Someone passed by and glanced up at me and I swear this was their expression :yikes:

What beautiful weather we’ve had this weekend! And I’ve been able to make it out to my back garden to enjoy it. :flwrysmile:

Since Wednesday it’s been a war to figure out how to best tackle recovery dealing with my second hip surgery in less than three months. It’s the truth that no two hip replacement surgeries are the same.

My second hip surgery recovery has many positives associated with it. I’m able to basically sleep through the night with just a bathroom break. What a bonus! :thumb: I wake up with much pain and stiffness but I have a full night’s sleep. Also this hip doesn’t suffer from log leg. The downside to this is that it makes me feel as though I am further along in recovery than I really am. But no log leg is nice and makes many things easier. Plus my LLD is now gone and I’m not limping or feeling tilted.

The negatives I’m running into are totally different than with the first surgery. I’ve had swelling in both legs for over a week, finally much improved by continued elevation, icing, and rest. Also, I ended up with a numb first operated side thigh from sleeping on that side on night and it is slowly going away. Hopefully it’ll totally disappear over time. But what’s causing me the most problem is getting my medication straightened out. It’s been either too much or too little. By yesterday I was at the point I could hardly move due to the pain in both my right and left quads. I had reduced my use of oxycodone from two to one every 4 hours for a few days and that just did not work. So now I’m doing two every 6 hours with 2 Tylenol every six hours in between. That way I have a painkiller hitting me every 3 hours. And fingers crossed :fingersx:, it seems to be working. My plan is nothing overnight because I’m sleeping anyway. I had been setting an alarm to take meds during the night but I was in much pain in the morning anyway and I can’t tell a difference. This plan had better work because I have a limited number of the oxycodone left and it’ll be a bear to get more. I do have Tramadol as a last resort.

I’m still using a walker and would love to get to the cane but I’m trying to be patient. :) :-) (:

As a side note I’m back to taking the magnesium each day and the hair left in the drain after shampooing is gone again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom