THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

You sound so content! Loved hearing about your marathon sleep fest. That helps a lot, doesn't it?
Have a good day :ice: and enjoy the pizza tonight. Oh! We are having BLT's for lunch, too. Our tomatoes are amazing this season.

@ceezee you sound like you are doing so well, you're definitely off to a great start! Like you said you'll have to watch overdoing since you're feeling so good. Wishing you another great night of rest and sleep.

Right now the trickiest bit is making sure to take pills at the required time. Some are every 4 hours, some at 6, others are twice a day, etc. This is as valid a reason to reduce the number and kinds of medication one takes as any other. :what: :sigh:

Tomorrow we get the pups from my friend’s house. I can hardly wait! :puppysmooze: :dogwalk:

Yup, I found medication management somewhat bewildering, too, @ceezee. Have you maybe got some sort of written schedule that prompts you when to take the pills? I think everyone struggles for awhile to find a medication rhythm that works, but keep at it. And today you pick up the pups--I am sure you're excited about that. Have a great day.

This is as valid a reason to reduce the number and kinds of medication one takes as any other. :what: :sigh:

Isn't that the truth. If it wasn't for my husband in those early days I'm sure I would have messed up. I really had some trouble focusing. I'm guessing after a few days or so, he had me take over recording my meds as he stood over my shoulder watching, lol.
I'll bet you're excited for the pups, especially the baby.
Enjoy and have a great Friday!
@ceezee

@Barbaraj This is the spreadsheet that my husband made for me. There’ll be one for each week I’m on meds. I don’t fill it entirely out with times so I can easily adjust it if I miss a dose. This happens mostly with overnight doses when I sleep through the alarm.
Right after I take a dose I check it off. No checking it off first.:bignono:

3D12DF7B-F421-4C56-8CD1-95275E43CA0A.jpeg

Wow, you're not kidding, @ceezee--what a great chart. I was in a brain fog the first week or so and probably could have used more of a written chart for medication. You'd think after the first time I'd have recognized this, but no, didn't happen this time either. Fortunately, at this point in my recovery it's just Tylenol for the most part, one in the AM and one at night, but I'm weaning myself off the morning dose as I'm able (like this morning!). I have baby aspirin I take as well, for my blood thinner, but nothing else at this point although I can always sub in a Tramadol if I need it in place of the Tylenol at night. Anyway, hope today goes well, a little less discomfort and one day further along the recovery trail!

That's pretty cool @ceezee
The surgery center sent me home with one of those and I kept it for reference in case I go through this again. I may want to look back and compare. I'll think about that when / if it becomes necessary. Not now.
It certainly makes it easier. Now if you can believe it, looking at that schedule and trying to figure it out the first few days, to me, felt like an exercise in futility. Ugh :hairpulling:
@ceezee

I looked back at what I had used during the previous surgery and I stopped using the chart as soon as I was off the oxycodone...just a couple of weeks. I eased off the oxy very slowly to avoid any withdrawal issues. I never switched to the Tramadol. But I didn’t have much success later on with Tylenol and my right hip started to be a problem so I was back on Advil.

The one that I got from the hospital didn’t work well for me. Across the top was morning, afternoon, night. I needed that to be each day. And then within each date was times.

Hi @ceezee

Wow!!! Already home and doing remarkably well. You sound in such good spirits. I do hope hip #2 ends up being a breeze in all ways. Your husband’s chart is so smart. Those first few days can be overwhelming. Really good sign that your gait is already coming together. All that walking is coming in to help your mind remember what to do. Truly a bone smart recovery!!

I’m sure you have missed your fur babies. Be careful navigating around them. So thrilled for you that you are home and doing well. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. :SUNsmile:

Good morning! You sound like you are progressing well already!
oh,, the medication schedule! I did exactly what you said not to a couple times. wrote down meds before taking then wondering if I did? Didn't? Had to go the 6 hours without and after a couple hours I was certain I hadn't but still didn't want to risk it.
Enjoy the hounds returning home.. sounds like a good day ahead. :puppysmooze::puppysmooze:

This is Day 4 and I think I’m having one of ‘those’ days.

It’s fantastic to have the hounds back and they’re both being so incredibly good with me. I expected that of Loki, who’s 9, but even Ripple, who’s 2 and brand new here, is being a gem. Two great sweet dogs, how lucky am I!

My issue is that last night I slept on my first operated on side (hip #1). I’ve done it before but never for very long. My doctor said I could sleep any way I wanted to. At first it was tender but then it felt fine. This was after I’d already slept for 4 hours and woke up with my alarm to take my meds. When I woke up for good this morning, around 7, I was really stiff and sore, as usual. But the outside and top of my thigh on hip #1 side is totally numb and that has never happened before. I’m assuming it will go away eventually. :what: :beg:I’m also getting much more swelling in both legs than ever. On the plus side, No Log Leg!!!

Meanwhile I’m icing and elevating, repeat, repeat....

Hi @ceezee
I'm sorry you're stiff, sore and concerned.
Let's see what @Josephine has to say about the new numbness with your first THR (left) dated - May 17th.
I'd recommend icing and elevating just as you are for now. I'll look forward to Jo's response with you.
Please try not to worry, it seems most of these occurances are transient. Here today, gone tomorrow.
Hugs and wishes for a happy Saturday!

If there's still some swelling and you slept on it...it might cause some numbness being compressed a bit:shrug:
Meanwhile I’m icing and elevating, repeat, repeat....
That's what we do!:yes:
And all we really can do these early days..
Healing mojo coming your way @ceezee :friends:

Hi @ceezee
Not sure if you're still experiencing the numbness on the outside and top of Hip # 1 today, but if you are, I'd call the surgeon's office in the morning and leave a message for a return call, most likely from the PA. I'm sure they can give you a logical explanation for the numbness. One less thing to dwell on, or be concerned about. Hope you have a peaceful evening!

Hi @Layla
I did some research on the topic of numbness post surgery but not immediately after. Mayo Clinic had an article about it being caused by inflammation and the compression it can cause. So my plan is if it’s not greatly better tomorrow I’ll call the surgeon’s office. I’m thinking they might want to up my Celebrex dosage or give me something else. I still have much more swelling than I did with the first hip. And this time it’s in both legs. A different hip is certainly a different recovery.

Even with this niggling problem at 5 days past surgery I feel like I did at the 2 1/2 weeks point last time. I am struggling to not rush everything and take slow, measured steps with recovery. My husband is worried I’m going to throw caution to the winds and way over do it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back