THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

This afternoon I went to my friends house, she’s a massage therapist, and she worked on my sore left thigh and knee for nearly an hour to help loosen it up. It’s definitely better now and I’m hoping it finally lets me get some sleep. I’m nearly at the point where I might go back on oxycodone just to see if it helps. I’ve been off the oxy for several weeks and mentally hate to use it again but I’m getting desperate.

She also thought my scar looked great! I’ve been using the Palmers Cocoa with vitamin E.

I’m also trying to figure out where the best place is to sleep. The mattress in the master bedroom is way to hard (how I normally like it). The spare bedroom is softer. Then there’s the couch in the den. Our recliner isn’t very comfortable unfortunately, so that’s out. Choices! I feel like I’m in a Three Bears scenario. :heehee:

Patience, I know. I’m keeping the faith!

Hi :wave:
Its good to hear you found some relief through your friends massage.
I hope you find the bed that's "just right" tonight, Goldilocks :heehee:
Sweet Dreams and best wishes for a brighter tomorrow. :SUNsmile:
@ceezee

@ceezee Hi, good to have a friend who does massage. I have been nervous about rubbing something over the incision? It is so tight it is painful at times. I think I'll call and see what my Dr. says to use if anything. But you seem fine with what you are using.
I have been able to lay my leg flat at night for 2 nights now without it hurting, but I did do the stretching exercise from OS. Did that do the trick or was it just ready, like you said. Hummm.
We have 2 steps down to our den and when I came back up 3 days ago, I led with my surgery leg stepping up, no cane not thinking. Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. Ever since I have a new muscle soreness around the bottom of my incision, although incision looks really good. Icing it a lot, and just have to let it settle down, the tissues and such were not ready to lead the way up yet.
I hope you find a comfy way to sleep, I have not yet. It is a challenge even finding where to sit in the daytime comfy. Those weeks ahead of us say it gets better, that's what keeps me going, waiting for the gets better. It is better, I just want better, better, better....❤

@Cecropia Yes, my friend is great. She’s also the person who takes care of my whippet when we go on vacation. She’s in charge of the mid-Atlantic whippet rescue group so I can sleep well when I’m off on a trip where I can’t take him.

I was nervous too about applying anything to the incision The Palmers Cocoa Butter just glides over. No rubbing needed. There’s no residue and really does soften it. Plus I still ice often during the day. And it still is very sore at both the top and the bottom of the incision. Somehow I’ve been able to sleep on it lately so that’s good. I think the Palmers made it more comfortable.

Last night it took me about 3 hours to get to sleep but then aside from a couple of tossing and turning times I slept until nearly 8. :yay:

You should see the couch in the den where I sit during the day/evening. :loll:It has a body pillow ($10 from Target) laying on it to make it super soft, many other pillows to raise my head to various heights, and my Lounge Doctor at the other end. When I get company I don’t even care...I’m still sitting on that couch. Keep working on getting your comfy place to sit as comfy as you can. Pillows, pillows, pillows.

You’re totally right about saying it’s better but wanting it better, better, better. Slow steps. But definite progress. Keep looking at the long term picture. ❤️

@ceezee glad you got some decent sleep last night, that can make such a difference.

Love the description of your couch, aka nest. I'm planning on something similar. Have a love seat with a large matching ottoman placed in front of it with lots and lots of pillows! I have to laugh, every time my daughter in law comes over she jumps in it if I'm not!

Hoping you have a great day! :SUNsmile:

Pillows, pillows and more pillows. Such a comfort during recovery. One propped here, one under there etc
That $10 body pillow from Target has been one I've used every night, still, since Recovery. What I love it for is once you start sleeping on your side, it's great between your legs. Mine has lost some life and for $10 could easily be replaced two years out. I used the Palmer's Cocoa Butter Cream with Vitamin E and purchased the Lounge Doctor too and love that also @ceezee We're Twinsies! :happydance: :happydance:
I hope you sleep better tonight :yawn:

@Layla of course you have them! I got those tips from you and they are spot on. The Target pillow, the Palmer’s Cream, and the Lounge Doctor.

I bought 3 of the pillows and use one in my couch, it’s super versatile. And the other two made it up to my bedroom last right to lay on each side of me. Either way I turned, I had a super soft long pillow. Perfect!

Just in case you’re still looking for the perfect grabber.... these are incredibly helpful. I have two RMS rotating grabber reachers, a 26” and a 19”. Even my nephew, a PTA, had never seen such wonderful ones. They pick up everything unless it’s over 5 pounds.

I found them on amazon.

Attachments

• 2E57F103-FC97-4D5B-8393-2CF5BE4096B8.jpeg
    2E57F103-FC97-4D5B-8393-2CF5BE4096B8.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 241
I’m adding magnesium citrate capsules to my daily regiment to see if this may help my restless legs and sleepless nights. I’ll report any progress later. This is just day 1. :bored:

:wave: Hope today is a Good Day and you are doing well?
I noticed you said you had used the Active Scar Shield and wondered what you thought?
It wasn't available when I was recovering.
I know another staff member said she actually used for minor cuts and scrapes and even insect bites!:yes:

Last edited:
I was a little concerned about using it so early at first. But when I researched I found that hospitals use it to help wounds heal I understood it was going to be fine.

It is very soothing to use and easy to apply. Just remember to really shake the bottle first. My incision healed very quickly. I have to admit I’m generally a quick healer but this was fast even for me.

I also now use the Palmers Cocoa with Vitamin E in addition because my incision was still kind of bumpy and gnarly. That softens and keeps it more moist. It somehow does that without being sticky or wet.

I like the combination. For my next hip I’m going to use the Active Scar Shield as soon as my dressing is off, 4 days post surgery, and start the Palmers later.

I have an appointment with my dermatologist for my bi-annual checkup before the next surgery and I’m going to ask for her thoughts. She’s very practical. It’s definitely going to help when I have my next basal cell carcinoma. :heehee:

#scarshield

@Mojo333

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know...I used the Palmer's also but it was well into month two...as I wanted to make sure that sucker was shut tight!
Thanks for your review.
Are you gearing up for double hippy status?:chuckmarch:

At this point all I’m concentrating on is trying to get a halfway decent night’s sleep! :rotfl:

Now that I can sleep on both sides all I do is toss and turn. Grrrrrr. Before, I’d wake up a little and think, nope, can’t turn, and fall back asleep. Also restless legs kicked in.

I’m sure it will come...........

Keeping the faith! :yes!:

I am not so far out in my recovery that I can sympathize with, still!
I think I had the hardest time with it and didn't help that I was so sleep deprived pre-op!
I won't depress you with how long it took me:sigh:
It will come...hopefully we'll before number two!
Good mojo coming your way!

Last edited:
And it still is very sore at both the top and the bottom of the incision
Mine too! :what: Im really happy with my scar healing in general, although when I sit for any length of time it seems to be lumpier. It's nice and smooth in the mornings though. Thanks for the Palmer's cocoa butter tip, will get some tomorrow!

I’m adding magnesium citrate capsules to my daily regiment to see if this may help my restless legs and sleepless nights. I’ll report any progress later. This is just day 1. :bored:

If you haven't already, read up on the various forms of Magnesium. It's very interesting. Personally, I've taken Magnesium Glycinate, not for RLS, but because it can have a calming effect along with helping you fall asleep and stay asleep. Some forms of Magnesium can also have a laxative effect which I believe is least common with Glycinate. Hope you have a great day!
@ceezee

@Layla
Thanks for the tip! I didn’t see that option at my local CVS. I’ll try my GNC. Nope, they don’t have it. I guess it’s off to Amazon.

I’m about halfway to my next hip replacement and I’m starting to think about what should I do differently this time.

I’m glad my doctor didn’t want to do a bilateral even though it may have saved some recovery time. This time I have so many more support pieces in place. My biggest fear is that this surgery has gone so well...and who knows about the second. No two are alike.

The one thing I do know is after found Bonesmart, my recovery was a great one and I am sure they will help me with the second. This is a huge load off of my shoulders that I didn’t have the first time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson