THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

ceezee

graduate
Country
United States United States
Although I’ve been lurking here ever since I discovered this incredible forum right after my surgery, I’ve been putting off posting anything. That is only because all my questions were asked and answered by others. But for those of you who are just starting this endeavor I can’t stress enough how extremely valuable this forum is to help you with your recovery.

I’ve been following all the recommendations and it has paid off many many times. I ice for long times at least 4 times a day. A few days after surgery (about the same time I found the forum) I got swelling in that leg. Following the advice here, I elevated it constantly, kept up the icing, and it was gone in about 2 days. I still elevate whenever possible. I am strict about keeping up with my pain medications and only reducing them when it’s clear I don’t need them any more. And the hardest part, at which I expect to fail at some point, is avoiding the ODIC. So far so good.

Yesterday I had my post op checkup about a week early because I had a sore knot near my incision. It turned out to be normal and caused by how it was closed and will be gone soon. My OS was very happy with my recovery. He was impressed by my ice, elevate, rest, and walk program. I credit it to my following BoneSmart’s advice. His approach was always just walk, no PT, just walk, and listen to your body. The incision looks good and I’m walking without a cane at home. I’m cleared to drive. Now it’s a matter of not overdoing it because I feel so much better.

The first week is tough, no getting around it, but the second week is better. And around day 14 I kind of turned a corner. I’ve been able to greatly reduce the pain medication and I’m now off oxycodone. I hated that dopey feeling I got from it but it was essential in the early days. These days it’s just Tylenol and aspirin for blood thinning. I’m still not sleeping soundly through the night but it’s getting better. I’ve always been a restless sleeper anyway. I’m getting those nasty muscle spasms in my left quad but using a heating pad on it before bedtime is helping. I also have that long leg feeling but that should go away in a month or so. I keep in mind that because of all the trauma my hip and leg went through during surgery various aches and pains are normal and part of the healing process.

So now comes the time when I have to temper my normal impulses and keep taking it easy! My right hip is also troublesome and I’m scheduled for THR surgery on July 30th to fix that. I think I’ll have to stay on my current pain management medication until then just to keep my right hip under control.

My husband has been a gem through the whole thing and is very helpful in reminding me to take it easy!

The next milepost coming up is my one month anniversary when I can get rid of both the pillow between my legs when sleeping on my side and the 90° restriction leaning forward.

Thank you BoneSmart!

@ceezee Thanks for officially joining us and posting your update. I'm so glad our forum has been helpful for you. Sounds like your recovery is going very well.

Well done on scheduling hip #2. You will soon be a member of the double hippie club!

You have probably already read the recovery list but I'll post it here in case you need any reminders.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:welome: @ceezee Glad you've found the group to be beneficial, I most definitely have to agree with you, this place and the people here have been an answered prayer. Without the support don't know that I would have made the decision to get my hip done and now can't wait for the day to arrive. Sounds like you're doing fantastic, just be sure to keep a big dose of patience on hand and not push into the ODIC!

Hi @ceezee :wave:glad to see you on the forum! This is a wonderful place to be for research, advice, and to ask any questions....someone is always here and willing to help! Like Elf1 said, just stay away from the ODIC because there are too many of us in that club already! :heehee: We love you sharing your recovery progress as well; it sounds like you're doing fantastic! Keep us posted :flwrysmile:

Wow...walking without a cane....my physio. has said 2 crutches for 6 weeks !!! I did try and see if l could walk (l had pins and screws fail so this is second OP.....THR) but my leg felt very heavy...no chance....but ...good for you...and good luck with the next one.....x

@Misscarol I was as surprised as anyone that I went to no cane in the house so soon. I was on a walker for over a week, and then moving very slowly on a cane but still using a walker in the house occasionally. At Day 12 I went out to lunch with my sister in law. That was my first time in a car since I got home from the hospital. It perked me up but I was still relying heavily on the cane. But by Day 14 I turned a corner and felt massively better and stronger. My left leg still needs tons of strengthening. I think that I can sleep is a huge benefit as each morning I can tell a difference in ability than the day before. Fingers crossed that I can avoid the dreaded ODIC!

That's brilliant progress...l am hoping...l wonder if my problem is physiological?? Its just over 6months since original OP.....is it my brain or muscles??...regardless....physio says 6weeks on 2 crutches...not even 1 crutch.....l am frightened to hinder my progress....patience, patience....which lm not ver good at ...l want to ‍♀️...x

Its just over 6months since original OP.....is it my brain or muscles??...regardless....physio says 6weeks on 2 crutches...not even 1 crutch.....
Curious, do you mean 6 weeks......I see your surgery date is May 13th? If it's 6 weeks, I was still using my walker and didn't go to the cane until week 7 or 8. Some people go straight to crutches or a cane quickly, others do not. The forum advisors strongly suggest we don't compare recovery times because we're all so different! Always best to take it slow and steady at this point of recovery and you're doing just fine where you're at! @Misscarol

Sorry to confuse you SE Florida....had a pins and screw OP. 6months ago after a broken femur...went wrong...femur head collapsed , which resulted in THR 3 weeks ago. .so my muscles have been in "sleepy mode " for 6 months....hoping to go onto 1 crutch in 3 weeks and then... the skys the limit ( sensibly building) l hope...good wishes to you....x

@Misscarol There is no way you should compare your progress with anyone else’s. Just take it slow and steady as recommended by this forum. As you’re doing, listen to your body. Time heals.

My name is also Carol but spelled with an ‘e’ ...... Carole.

Last edited:
Thanks Carole aka ceezee....l will take notice now.....

I finally came close to ODIC yesterday but it snuck up on me. I’ve been working on two things. One: improving my gait by insuring I’m doing heel/toe and not rushing through the step with my operated side leg. Two: as recommended by my OS, I’m stopping lifting my leg all the time to get it into place. Everything felt fine but suddenly last night on the couch when I changed positions my adductor started screaming at me. I pushed it a little too far. I took 2 Tylenol, 2 Advil, and 5mg oxycodone and hit the bed an hour early. I read for an hour and then fell off to sleep hoping that by morning all would be repaired. This morning I feel so much better but I’m going to baby it today.

My Apple Watch thinks I slept pretty well last night with nearly 8 hours of sleep with 2 hours of it in deep sleep and I certainly feel rested. But it still feels tender. I’m so close to zero pain I can’t tell if this tenderness is really normal and this is how it generally feels. I’m still under restrictions until I hit the one month point so to turn on my side I slightly wake up to adjust the pillow between my legs. And my operated side is still too sore to sleep on.

I’ll be driving for the first time today and dropping my whippet off to doggie day care for play time. It’s less than a mile away so should be easy.

. But it still feels tender. I’m so close to zero pain I can’t tell if this tenderness is really normal and this is how it generally feels.

Yes, at only three weeks post op tenderness is normal and it will most likely feel that way for weeks to come. Lots of trauma happened within close proximity.
Rest up and heal for Round Two. I hope you have a nice Thursday!
@ceezee

Last night I had a terrible time getting to sleep. Even more that usual. My whole body felt like ants were walking around under the skin, the foot on my operated side kept twitching, all my muscles aches... I kept flipping to my nonoperated side (having to get the pillow properly positioned each time) and back again. No success. I finally did fall asleep which lasted 7 hours! Yay! And this morning as I walked from the couch to the kitchen to make my cappuccino I realized my legs don’t feel nearly so uneven as before! Just a guess but I think my body was just going into overdrive fixing things. Amazing stuff!

Last edited:
Happy Friday! :wave:
Seven hours sleep is pretty good for only three weeks post op. Especially impressive if it was uninterrupted.
It's great you're doing better this morning. Sounds like you were feeling pretty miserable before you fell asleep.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)
@ceezee

I just got a massage from a good friend who’s a certified massage therapist. I generally see her every 2-3 week for one. She was very careful not to affect anything that needed to be left alone but totally loosened up some very tight muscles in my arms, upper back, neck, and legs. Heavenly.

She could see my operated side is still slightly swollen so I’m going to do a better job keeping it elevated even higher. I ordered one of those Lounge Doctor wedges which I know will help. (Plus I can use it for my second surgery.)

She also mentioned trying colloidal silver spray on my incision. It’s been 3 weeks now and I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to try it now or wait. Has anyone had experience using this? I know it’s used on burn victims to aid in healing.

Happy Friday evening to you @ceezee
The Lounge Doctor is great. I think you'll love it and find it especially useful with another surgery scheduled.
I still use mine while watching tv sometimes, or reading, because it's comfortable.

The colloidal silver idea...I think you should check with the office of your OS on that one. Someone on his care team should be able to answer that question for you. Also, check out the rotating banner beneath the blue navigation bar at the top of this page and you'll find information on a product called Active Scar Shield. Read all about it, see what you think.
Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
4 Weeks!!!

It’s hard to believe. But when I take the excellent advice to look at progress weekly, not daily, I can see how much I’ve improved.

I’m using the cane pretty much all the time now, mainly to help me regain my gait. I know I don’t need it for safety in the house but I still use it. Somewhere here on the forum it was recommended to keep with the cane until you’re walking normal again. Of course, many times during the day when I’m doing something in the kitchen I end up walking back into the den without it. And one day it took me quite a while to find it. Lol.

I have the normal aching knee which comes and goes in severity. And lately restless legs at night have been driving me crazy. But once I get to sleep I’m out for the night. Today I can stop using the pillow between my legs when laying on my unoperated side but I’ve kind of gotten used to it. I’ve still had no success in laying on my operated side as the incision is still tender and sore. I started using the Scar Shield on it. I have dissolvable sutures and I think they are mainly gone.

I’m icing a lot for aches and laying on my Lounge Doctor in the evening when watching television and haven’t had any more swelling that I can tell.

I’m taking Advil and Tylenol three times a day, and aspirin twice a day (but at 4 weeks I can now stop that). Plus the occasional Tramadol. I find Tramadol works better now than the oxycodone plus I don’t get as sleepy.

The closest I’ve come to ODIC was last week when I did two loads of wash, made banana bread, and walked 5000 steps. I was very tired that night but recovered by the next day. I’m trying to not push anything.

I have to add that yesterday my dog hurt his foot jumping out of the car and my husband said “have you seen his foot?” and before I gave it a thought I crouched down to look at it! Nearly to the floor I realized what I did and sprang back up. It didn’t hurt at all at the time and no after effects. So I guess I was lucky.

My main goal is to get as healed and strong as I can before my next hip is tackled at the end of July. I can’t afford a recovery setback.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts