Bone supplements??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppernob

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi folks.
Another question for you all. The reason for my second TKR revision due in November is that my surgeon thinks the top of my tibia is crumbling and so not supporting the prosthesis. He is going to use something with a longer stem to go into the bone next time. Someone has suggested that I should perhaps start taking some sort of bone strengthening suppplement prior to the surgery. Has any one else done this and if so, what thave they taken? To anyone waiting for surgery, please don't be alarmed - not everyone ends up having to have 4 new knees in 3.5 years! And even with all the problems, I still don't regret having the initial surgery as the pain I have now is nothing like the bone on bone pain I was experiencing before the bilateral UKRs. Any help much appreciated. Lin x

Lin x,
I have been dubbed the "vitamin queen" for years. I believe taking supplements does help your body. I have used the book Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing for about 20 years. This book tells you what your body needs for vitamins, herbs, what foods to eat, and what foods to avoid for particular issues or diseases with your body.
My Primary Care Physician also believes strongly in using vitamins. I take quite a list of them in both the AM and PM.
Some basics I take are:
Calcium with Vit D 1 in the AM and 2 in the PM
Magnesium 250 mg 1 in the AM and 2 in the PM
Vitamin D 1000 mg 1 in the PM
Multi-Vitamin 1 in the AM
Vitamin E 200 mg 1 in the AM
Fish Oil 1000 mg 1 in the PM

I take lots more, but those are some basic ones that my OS wanted to be sure I was on prior to surgery. The Calcium and the magnesium combination at night are also a natural remedy for insomnia....... So, those with problems sleeping at night should try it!
Best,
Crystal

Forgot about the magnesium - thanks! Wish I could remember why I cut back; maybe i ran out of it. What do you have for memory (besides gingko - that stuff upsets my digestion)? ;)

Forgot about the magnesium - thanks! Wish I could remember why I cut back; maybe i ran out of it. What do you have for memory (besides gingko - that stuff upsets my digestion)? ;)

I am not a doctor. The book I linked states you should avoid refined sugar, have a diet high in raw foods. Consume the following often: brewer's yeast, brown rice, farm eggs, fish legumes, millet, nuts soybeans, tofu, wheat germ and whole grains. Avoid 100% carbohydrate meals as they have an adverse effect on memory. Combine complex carbohydrate with foods containing 10% protein and 10% essential fats.
Vitamin B complex 100 mg daily
Additional B vitamins (B5, B6 & B3{Niacin})
Vitamin C 3,000-10,000 mg daily
Vitamin E 400 IU
Zinc 50-80 mg daily (do not exceed 100)

make sure you focus on things to remember. Often we blame our memory when we really did not pay attention in the first place. Hope this helps!
Best,
Crystal

Lin x,

In my opinion eating right has to go hand in hand with supplements because the body can only assimilate so much from them. Here are some suggestions:
* Vitamin C 500 mg several times a day
D3...remember 3, not 2...about 800-1200, unless spend a lot of time in sun... even then 400-800
* Calcium (citrate not carbonate) several times a day with the C...not more than 500 at a time
* You do this since the body can't utilize huge doses at one time.
Fish oil caps with at least 1000 of omega 3
Probiotic or lots of natural yogurt

For continued joint health, the best buy is Osteo Bi-flex (Advanced Triple Strength). Drug stores run it buy one get one free a lot in my area.

Lifting even light weights should improve bone density. Check with doctor on this .

Good luck and God Bless,
Rick

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had a bone density scan recently which apparently showed that my bones are in above average condition for my age so I don't really understand why the tibia is crumbling. I was in such a state of shock when my surgeon told me that I would need another replacement that I didn't ask him any relevant questions. I'm now compiling a list for when I see him again next month. Lin

Hi Coppernob, I just had a revision to a total from a partial and I saw the doc today. I asked him about the tibia cause I had stress fractures there and he said the tibia under the implant was crushed. He had to remove quite a bit of the interior side of the tibia and the stem is 100mm long to support the new knee!!! It is also quite thick to boot. I am just over two weeks out 90 rom and feel pretty darn good. Start my out patient therapy tomorrow and the doc wants me at 120 rom in one month!
Good luck,
Dan

Thanks Dan. I was beginning to think I must be a freak as no-one else seemed to have had the same problem as me! Hope the outpatients therapy went well. Sounds as if you're doing ok. Keep up the good work. Lin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks