BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

bone spur in back of knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by beachy, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:47 AM.

1. beachy

beachy member

United States United States
    I've been told at least 1 yr ago that I have a bone spur behind my left knee. It never bothered me and OS was surprised by that. Fast forward to about 1 month ago when the back of the knee began to hurt. Light bulb went on and I remembered about having a bone spur there. Left knee is and always has been the more painful one. Even though xrays show more damage to the right. Odd.

I picture the spur slowly shredding everything that's around it. Is that accurate or is that crazy?

Another question. Do bone spurs complicate TKR? I picture the spur attached to knee and being 86'd along with the old knee.

2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had bone spurs on my left knee and they did shred things a bit. My OS said he needed to clean things up in there. No idea where the bone spurs were, though, only that the surgery completely removed them. I suspect your bone spur will be history, but that’s a good fun question to ask your surgeon. :)

3. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I agree with Susie, raise the issue with your OS so that he is aware of it pre surgery. But, I agree that it will be sawed off with the rest of the bad stuff!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. beachy

beachy member

When I was a little girl and had my tonsils removed the hospital put them in a jar so I could have them.
    Think the OS will give me one of my old knees as a souvenir? :heehee:

I will be sure to talk to OS about the spur. There are others spurs, too. This one is causing more pain because of the location. Keeping the left leg straight starts to hurt. I put a small pillow behind it.

5. skigirl

I got my spacer back after it was replaced. I am sure they will give you the knee--but the spacer had to be sterilized as it was a Biohazard right out of the knee!!

6. beachy

beachy member

@skigirl OMGosh I was kidding! Although, since I'm scheduled for October, it could be a great Halloween decoration. Why use a cheap plastic skeleton when you can use a real joint.:yikes: BOO!

7. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Exactly. All the restraints to movement are removed by the surgeon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. beachy

beachy member

@SusieShoes "clean things up" ? Do you mean like in arthroscopic when they clean up the "crab meat" looking things? I'm just hoping the muscles, tissues, etc are being too damaged. I'm probably obsessing again, geez.

9. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh, they'll do everything possible not to damage the stuff you still need! By clean things up, the surgeon meant he trimmed any ragged tissue that had been caused by my inflammation and bone spurs. The bone ends were removed by the surgery to replace the knees. He fixed damage, not caused more!

10. beachy

beachy member

@SusieShoes ahhh got it. I've had that cleaned up before during arthroscopic. OS calls it "crab meat" because it look like little white raggedy edges on xray. And we love us some crabs in Maryland!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. skigirl

My friend, who had a revision, has her knee glued onto a skeleton in her living room!!

12. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Not in the least. No more than the arthritis does!
    I doubt it. Health and Safety nowadays requires that theatre and sterile supply departments are not exposed to bio-material any more than necessary and preferably not at all! In the UK, hospitals found breaking this rule can come in for a hefty fine!
    Lots of tissues in the human body are similar to crab meat. Spinal disk material for one. And when scrubbed for a micro-diskectomy, it would be my job to collect it all from the surgeon's instrument, pick of off the swab and collect it in a galipot. Then at the end of the surgery, I'd weigh it on our special digital scales and report that to the surgeon! Want to know the average amount of sequestrated disc removed? It was about 20-35gms!

13. beachy

beachy member

@Josephine good to know the spurs won't mean diddily!

I didn't think I'd get those bad knee(s) back..it was more of an October surgery Halloween reference. Would make a gruesome door decoration! LOL

I tried the gm to oz conversion and 35gms was about 1 or 2oz? If so, not much at all.
    And the "crab meat" reference is special to the state of Maryland. We eat a lot of blue crab here! Steamed crabs, crabcakes mainly. Every restaurant in the state has some kind of crab dish. We are crazy for crab!

You have had a fascinating career! I have much respect for that kind of knowledge and dedication.

@skigirl Oh no she did not!!!! That's great!! How was she able to get the knee? What a conversation piece!

14. Josephine

No not much unless it's your spine! :wink:
    I LOVE crab. Only trouble is, we don't have any fish shops these days! So where does one get them!

15. beachy

beachy member

@Josephine
    There is a wonderful local place that ships delicious crabcakes. I'm not sure if they ship internationally. I can PM you the info if you like. This is IMHO the best in Md.
    It's best not to try to pick a whole crab unless you're taught as a child...in utero actually LOL

16. Josephine

Ah no - when I wore (was) a kid, we had a man on a bike that came round every week end with shrimps, cockles, mussels and crabs! All freshly caught and cooked. We were each given crab for tea (6 of us!) and had to deal with it as best we could. I was about 6 at the time and knew how to clean a crab! Trouble was, we only had one pair of nutcrackers so had to take our turn as it was passed around the table!

That's the only way I like crab - straight out of the shell!

cooked crab.JPG

17. beachy

beachy member

@Josephine look on YouTube for eating steamed Maryland blue crab or something like that. It is a crab feast eaten outside on a picnic table covered in newspaper. The crabs are steamed with Old Bay seasoning and best eaten with an ice cold beer or 3. We use small wooden mallets and paring knives. No nutcrackers. It looks barbaric. It’s family tradition in these parts.

That’s a charming thought...seafood man on a bike. Good ole days.

18. DIYSteve

DIYSteve new member

I had a big bone spur on the back of my left knee. I'm 4 days out of TKA surgery. Per my surgeon, surgery took considerably longer than expected, mostly due to difficulty removing bone spur situated very close to artery and nerve.

19. beachy

beachy member

@DIYSteve Well, how ya doing 4 days out? Any complications from the bone spur removal?
    Our left knees must be cousins. I hope it doesn't cause me problems during surgery. I'm going to have to trust the OS. In my mind I just thought bone spurs went away with the old knee. I'm sure OS will find all kinds of lovely junk when he opens these knees up LOL

20. DIYSteve

DIYSteve new member

AFAIK, no complications other than longer surgery time. I'm doing as expected, I suppose. Pain was quite bad first 36 hours, gradually getting better. Mobility has gone from zero to just a wee bit. Onward and upward!