Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Hip Resurfacing bml's Recovery

bml

Country
United States United States
Surgery: Right hip resurfacing on January 17, 2020.
Surgeon: Dr. John Lannin.

January 17th: Surgery started to 7:00 AM.
January 17th: I tried to walk in the late afternoon. I was able to stand but was lightheaded and aborted the walk.
January 18th: Walked with walker and crutches. Also navigated stairs.
January 18th: Felt great so I was discharged in the late afternoon.
January 18th: Returned home with standard ROM restrictions. Using two crutches. Using a knee wedge for sleeping.

Post-op week 1: Minimal pain. Slept mostly. I did all my recovery exercises. Some in-home PT - was advised to elevate might leg higher than I was. Not drinking enough fluids which resulted in some lightheadedness. My first toilet lift was too small to comfortably use. I replaced it with a larger one with handrails which was also difficult to use because my thighs were pretty swollen and the bandage was very thick.

Post-op week 2: Minimal pain. Slept mostly. I did all my recovery exercises. Some in-home PT. First short outdoor walk. Sutures removed which means normal showers. One occupational therapy visit. With my hip recovery kit, I'm self-sufficient and can do everything I need to except tying my right shoelaces.

Post-op week 3: Finished blood thinner, nightly pain med, and anti-inflammatory prescriptions. Doing my own in-home PT and walks. This was a terrible week for me. I had sleep challenges plus strange aches and pains. The pain was never major, just uncomfortable. I was stir-crazy. A short walk would leave me tired and ready for a nap. I learned that the best thing for me was to stay active even when my body was a little achy. Doing some light PT or short walk would quickly reduce the discomfort. Using a single crutch now. I accidentally walked back to bed from the bathroom without using a crutch one night which is about 10 feet.

Post-op week 4: No pain medication. Using a cane. Working towards walking one mile at a time. Still fatigue quickly. Sleep is better, but not perfect and I'm tossing and turning a lot trying to get comfortable. Still using a knee wedge at night for ROM restrictions. I try to only be in bed when I'm trying to sleep. Still feel restless. Might try some meditation this week. Keep reminding myself that this is a process that takes time - there's no hurry. This week is a lot better than week 3.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @bml :welome: to the forum! We are so glad you found us and thank you for your detailed report on your hip resurfacing on January 17.
I can relate as many others will too, about that third week of recovery. Most likely because that is the week we start increasing activities of daily living along with trying to do more in general.

I'd like to leave you some reading material in regards to a recovery from a hip procedure. I hope you find it as helpful as I did with my first THR.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
bml

bml

Country
Post-op week 4: This week started well but went sideways. I had three days where I felt like I had a mini-flu including a temperature of 100 degrees one day. I also pulled muscles in my shoulder and back at the same time - I was using a resistance bar to do some upper body work and overdid it. So basically three miserable days where I felt terrible, couldn't sleep and was worried I had a complication from surgery. I took it easy, managed the symptoms and suffered through it until everything was resolved. I took pain meds and meds to manage the fever. I ended the week feeling fine, sleeping well, and feeling rested. I had very little hip pain and a bit of pain/sensitivity from the scar. It does feel like I get some phantom hip pain where I feel like my old pain has returned at a greatly reduced level but I can't physically find it. Odd. Also, my food cravings have gone away. I'm hungry but nothing sounds good and I can't eat much when I do - I just get full quickly. I'm also drinking 64+ ounces of water daily to make sure I'm hydrated. Taking naps as needed and lots of rest time.

Starting post-op week 5: Feeling great. I went for a 1.56-mile walk this morning without using my cane - no pain nor soreness, but still a very slight limp. Started going downstairs one-foot-per-step instead of two-feet-per-step. My focus will be to mix up the walking this week - some days with lots of short walks and other days with fewer long walks. I'll continue the simple PT exercises. I'll ramp up some upper bodywork with light weights. I really want to jump on my exercise bike but if I do it will be just for a minute at a time. I'm trying not to overdo it. Really looking forward to the ROM restrictions being lifted (two more weeks). Still feeling restless. No pain meds for the last few days.

OP
OP
bml

bml

Country
Post-op week 5: A good week. Sleep is better, but still not perfect. Rode my bike trainer for a minute which felt amazing, but getting on/off wasn't easy so I'm going to wait until the ROM restrictions are removed. My bike trainer is a road bike on a smart trainer and I need to clip into it so it's pretty high off the ground. No pain meds this week. No real pain - just some soreness at times and phantom pain. Appetite has improved slightly.

Starting post-op week 6: The plan for this week is structure. Every day: 3 x basic exercises, 3 x advanced exercises, 3 x walk, light upper body weights, meditation, sleep on time/early, breathing work, stair work, stay hydrated, and 100% self-sufficient.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like you are doing well and progressing. Just continue to listen to your body as you increase activities. It is so tempting to overdo since we feel better and better.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to see things are getting easier and better...
Hope the rest of your week is sweet!!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
No pain meds this week. No real pain
Great news! Healing moving right along. Take it slow and easy.
Wishing you only the best! :)

cstinchcomb

Country
Thanks so much for posting these updates. This is really useful to me in terms of setting expectations.

Glad your cold went away.

Took me a while before I felt ready to get back on the bike, even indoors. My quad was pretty traumatized (anterior). I'd get on, then after a little light pedaling (initially, one revolution) decide I wasn't ready yet. Then, one day, it was just not a problem.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom