Revision TKR Bluebell53 - Total Left Knee Revision

Bluebell53

Country
United States United States
Todays the day! I have to be at the hospital at 1:00 for my 3:00 surgery. It’s been a miserable seven months but I’ve hung in there. Just praying that there’s no infection and he can just replace the implant. I’ll see you all on the other side.

Good Morning,
I am sorry for your lengthy struggle, thankfully it’s almost over.
Best Wishes today and a prayer lifted that there’s no infection. We look forward to following your healing journey once you’re resting comfortably at home.
Hope to hear from you soon! :wave:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Bluebell53

Surgery yesterday went beautifully. Dr said there was no infection and so he cleaned out all the scar tissue and replaced the implant. Pain is under control as the nurses are taking good care of me and staying on top of it. PT came today and I passed with flying colors. Leg is completely straight and I was able to bend my knee to 120 degrees. It’s unbelievable how wonderful I feel right now. Thanks to all of you that supported me in my journey. God bless.

Hello all, I’m currently 6 days PO from my revision surgery. I’m doing really well, not much pain but just alot of soreness. I will start my in home PT tomorrow. I’ve already been doing the exercises that my OS has prescribed me to do. So far so good, I really believe my knee is going to heal good time. My surgeon is fantastic, he checks in on me every day using an app called Force, where they give they give you exercises to do, Information on medications and other resources. I like it because if you have a question, I can send them a message and they get right back with me. I love it!
I’m just resting with my ice packs today, Will post more in the coming days. Thank you all that posted me well wishes, I really appreciate your support.

I just wanted to share something with you all that my surgeon had told me before surgery. Now granted this was a knee replacement revision as I’m a week out so I’m gonna listen to everything he tells me to do. He mentioned to me about acrylic nails and leaving them off for the time being. He said those drill bits are full of bacteria. So when you’re healing from a knee or hip replacement, the slightest amount of bacteria that enters your body can cause a implant to fail, meaning infection. We can all have pretty nails at another time but taking a risk for failure is not one that I wanna take a chance with. Think about it before you do it ladies please. God bless you all in your healing.

Hello @Bluebell53
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

I just wanted to share something with you all that my surgeon had told me before surgery. Now granted this was a knee replacement revision as I’m a week out so I’m gonna listen to everything he tells me to do. He mentioned to me about acrylic nails and leaving them off for the time being. He said those drill bits are full of bacteria. So when you’re healing from a knee or hip replacement, the slightest amount of bacteria that enters your body can cause a implant to fail, meaning infection. We can all have pretty nails at another time but taking a risk for failure is not one that I wanna take a chance with. Think about it before you do it ladies please. God bless you all in your healing.
Same as Dental work. It is a 50 / 50 if your Dentist requires you take antibiotics prior to Dental work / cleaning.
I have my prescription already for Dental visit in Sept.

Just wanted to check in and give you all an update.. I’m 5 weeks PO, and working very hard with PT this time around on my knee revision. Extension is pretty good, measuring in around -5. Flexion is another thing. I did wall slides the other day and almost got it to 90 and that’s with really pushing it. Days I don’t have PT I do my exercises at home and out in the pool. My knee aches from PT today and sometimes I feel I’m over doing it just to get the flexion in before scar tissue sets in. When should I worry? It’s like I have one PT telling me I need to be aggressive due to my history of scar tissue and another telling me to to do the gentle approach. I’ve always listened to the advice of this forum but I’m so scared that if I do less I’ll be right back to where I was 8 months ago unable to walk and needing an MUA. what’s the answers?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member