TKR Blue skies and a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the alcohol slushy bag mishaps! What is the old expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." I just used a bag of frozen vegetables...so much for high tech :snork: A 99 cent bag of frozen peas did the trick nicely!

Heidi

hi shelly good to hear you are getting sleep and comfortable at night time , i use i cryo-cuff for ice and to be honest it has been great i do use the frozen peas aswell in between my appetite was nil after sugery due to nausia but the last week i have eaten quite well my husband has cooked some lovely meals and i have been spoilt with ice-creams and he makes a mean yummy chocolate cheese-cake but this week i need to change my diet and eat more fruit and veg and stay on a healthy eating plan with a smaller portion size with not been as mobile i dont want to put any weight on i worked so hard pre-op to get some weight off and the OS says to keep the weight down to protect my new knee so i do have a sweet tooth its going to be tough but worth it . :egypdance:

Hi Shelly:

Just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing? All in all is it better or worse than you thought? What has been the worst part? (Be honest)

Hopefully the pain has been managed well; do you like your PT? When you use your CPM machine do you put ice on your knee and elevate or not.

Well, just think you are about two weeks closer to your complete recovery!!

Karyn

Hello my friends!
Today was my post-op with the OP, and even though I am only 12 days post-op the staples were removed. Those weren't bothering me as much as the Tegaderm was...so I said Hallelujah and bye-by to all the bandages and just have steri-strips. Doc said I was doing "amazing", very little swelling and ROM is good. Flexion is 80 with ease, extension is -5, also with ease. I can walk well, heel to toe with bending the knee. So all is progressing well!

The problem right now? When I get up from seating and walk to the kitchen...lightheaded and break out in a sweat then have to put my head on the counter top while the toast is toasting or microwave is doing its thing. Even sitting on my potty...have to pull my walker close and lay my head on the handles. There is suddenly NO AIR and I break out in a sweat. Mentioned this to the doctor, and he wondered about my hemoglobin...I dropped from 13.5 before surgery to 9.3 after. So home health will be drawing some blood tomorrow to see if the blood loss could be making me feel so yucky. Also the percocet may have something to do with it, but as he says I still NEED pain control (Bless him) I am going to mix it up a bit with Tramadol to see if that works in managing the pain.

Marie..your hubby sounds wonderful!! If he wouldn't mind, ask him to cook a treat for me too and just beam it to me!! I have not attempted a meal yet, but I have microwave stuff. I can't wait until I can stand up long enough to prepare one all the way through and get it to the living room!!

Karyn..all in all it is much much better than I thought. Not to downplay it at all, the pain is there, but more of discomfort buzzing in the background. It increases with some of the exercises, then icing to help that and the pain meds to help. I am not considering increasing time between yet because I am taking one percocet 10/325 every 3 hours "as needed". Sometimes I find I am at 4 hours without noticing and others I need one right on time.

Since I am finding myself with some stamina and focus right now, I am going to say goodnight here, and take a wander among your threads.

Good night all!! xx:flwrysmile:

Shellbelle sounds like you are doing well except for the lightheadedness and weakness. Could be blood pressure dropping when you get up as well. Maybe try sitting up a bit before trying to walk. Sometimes meds can mess with your blood pressure. Good they are checking your hemoglobin. The early days are kind of a time where our body has gone through a lot of stress and it takes a bit of time for it all to settle down. Plus were on meds we are not typically on and they can have some unpleasant side effects. But what can you do other then change them if necessary.

Hi Shelly! So glad to hear the good report from your OS! Do you think the CPM machine is helping the flexion of the knee? I still have to speak to my OS's office to ask if they use this machine. I hope so. Congratulations on your progress AND Happy almost 2 week Anniversary!!

The lightheaded feeling is another issue. Most of us have felt that at one time or other and it's terrible. I hope they find the cause quickly and get it resolved. Let us know what your blood results are. Otherwise, you sound like you're doing well. Your surgery was major and your body needs time to regain it's strength and heal - so take it easy and get plenty of rest. I keep hearing the mantra in my head "elevate, ice, rest, rest, rest".

My surgery is next Monday and I am doing my best to get things in order, but I feel I'm falling short - too much for one person. But, I will get the surgery whether everything is taken care of or not. I cannot postpone it any longer. As much as I'm terrified, I know once I get through the first week or two, it will be okay and I can handle the rest. This is me being scared :scary: And begging for no pain :beg:

Hello everyone!
I have been a bit remiss in updating my thread, and wanted to just check in for a bit tonight.
My new knee says HI to everyone, and every day I am amazed at how it is doing. Me? Lagging a bit behind the knee at the moment! I am still having those sweaty, yucky episodes about half the time when I am up and about for more than a few minutes. Pain medication has been changed to Percocet 10/325 alternating with Tramadol 100 mg about every 4 hours. I have passed needing it at three hours, and four hours is just about perfect right now. Pain is not out of control at all doing that. PT was here this morning and taking my blood pressure while I was just finishing up my morning CPM session, and BP was 110/72. Perfect! She had me stand up and after a minute I started to feel a bit sweaty and yucky, she took it again and it was 100/60. She is going to report to both the surgeon and my family doctor and of course this is Friday! I also had my labs drawn this morning so they will have the results of those also. I do take a blood pressure medication, but I am under orders not to change anything on my own until all the results are in. My orders for the weekend: No walks by myself and keep a chair close in the kitchen!
I have to say after my outing this morning--which turned into a two hour outing and was very nice--followed by PT I was tired and ready for a nap! Healing is very energy intensive! I also felt a bit low for the absolutely first time too. My motivation for even opening the laptop was not there and I was content to basically stare into space and let my mind wander!
I have about enough energy left to check in on a few threads, and hopefully tomorrow my zest and gusto will be back. All in all, I feel my recovery is going amazingly well.

Love to everyone!! xx :flwrysmile:

Hi Shelly, I'm so sorry you are still having those yucky episodes :groan: Hopefully they will find out what is causing this and make the necessary changes. I know how horrible it feels, UCK! Be very, very careful. Falling is my big fear, so please take care. A 2 hour outing and PT! Great!! I hope you had a good rest after. The energy drain on our bodies while trying to heal is incredible. And, we each get through that a little differently. I know I don't need to say this, but listen to your body and when you need to rest - then rest, nap, sleep - it is very healing. Emotionally, it would be hard to be in good spirits all the time. Impossible really. I imagine I will be in tears most days, even if just for a little while. I have had bouts of depression over the years, some longer than others, but somehow I always seem to come out of it. Just know that there are so many people who support you and want the best for you! I'm here as are so many others - we are going through this journey with you. You've been so supportive and helpful to so many others here - thank you for that! Love, Hugs, Kisses :friends:

I'm glad your PT checked you out this way so can report the drop in blood pressure when you stood up. I hope the doc can help you out.

Hello Shelly,
I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day ! I think most pain meds. make you Hot & Dizzy,
they do me. :sick: But, Iv'e always been a " Hot, Dizzy blonde" :rotfl:
I hope you are feeling Better :ok:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:

Hi Diana,
My Mother's day was wonderful! My daughter brought breakfast here to cook and the grandkids and I feasted. Then she stayed so I could take a shower! It is the simple things sometimes that make me so very grateful. My neighbor cooked us dinner so it was a very nice day.

I am certainly looking forward to cutting back on the Percocet and adding more Tramadol. Currently it is every other dose with them but I do notice the pain sneaks thru a bit more with the Tramadol.

I hope the Mom's every kind had a wonderful day today.

Hugs to all! :bicycle2:

hi shelly happy to hear you had a lovely mothers day its so nice to spend time with family , i am too cutting back on the heavy meds today and switching to ibuprofen 400mg and paracetomol in between i dont really have much pain during the day just ache and stiffness the night time is my worst last night i just couldnt get to sleep the leg twitching and thigh muscles ache i save tramadol for night time but didnt do much for me last night at all like you say the pain sneaks through , i have also had side affects from the tramadol dry mouth , headache and nausia but ive taken them because they make me sleepy i only have enough tramodol left for 2 days then there all gone i might see if i can manage with out them or else its a trip to see the GP for a script :yikes: well today my hubby has returned to work after looking after me for 2 wks so i need to stand on my own 2 feet and get my own routine and start doing things for myself at 3 wks out my daughter will call this morning after the school run with her kiddies and she is going to do a little cleaning and fetch a few things from the shops at present i can only walk around the house and a short distance out-side and i would love to get out of the house and go shopping with her and for morning coffee or lunch so with the mobility been poor she is going to see if we can hire a wheel-chair for a few weeks which i wasnt keen on at first because i have always been a active person but if it means getting out then YES im going to do it :egypdance: also this week im going to book a massage with a therapist that visits your home and hoping to go to hydotherapy sessions later this week . keep up your good work in recovery best wishs .... marie :angel:

Good Morning (here at least!) all my friends!
Marie, it was so good to hear from you! I think of you all the time and am so glad you popped in for a visit. Pain medication, I have discovered, is a necessary evil for some of us! We need it to heal but on the other hand the side effects are not so much debilitating as simply darn uncomfortable.
I finally have batteries for my home blood pressure machine, and I have been taking it several times a day. I want to show Home Health the numbers so we can start a plan of action for the up and down BP. My personal feeling is that once I can get off or cut back significantly on daytime Perocet use I am just going to feel yucky when I am up. And I have to be up to get a little stamina built up or just continue to spiral downhill. My goal is by the end of the week I can stick to Percocet during the night, and Tramadol during the day. Time will tell!
I did take a dose of Nyquil last night and slept better than I have in three weeks!! And Nyquil doesn't leave me with any type of hangover feeling so I am going to talk to the doc about that too.

I am off to do my morning CPM and then the physical therapist will be here. Wish me luck on ROM! I am at 90, that is with a bit of a push. More like 88 easily, so we will see what 2 more days of healing has brought.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday! Bunches of hugs to all. :bicycle2:

Hi Shelly:flwrysmile: , sorry I haven't been talking of late, but lost your thread, hoping you now have the spells under control, there is nothing worse than a dizzy head.
My OS only used the CPM machine for the first 3 days, but he doesn't believe in doing too much at this stage likes it all too start healing, I guess i will know what he expects after my 1st month visit.
I'm progressing well and I couldn't be happier, I still have pain in my shins & my muscles ache, last night i took a Mercyndole they are a pain relief + muscle relaxant, I had the best nights sleep, most likely would have slept right thru if I didn't need to go to the toilet, which has been a problem since having the cafeter removed.
You take care
Wish we were closer, we could party on the town with a coffee.:mcoffee:
Hugs to you:friends:
Lee:)

Hello Lee! Glad you found me and popped in for a visit.
I actually don't know how much help the CPM machine is, but I actually love it. I is soothing and I usually nap while it is doing it's thing. I think it helps with the stiffness I get in my knee and I always ice after I have been on it. My shin hurt for about a week. I actually think the pain when I took a step was a bit more in my shin than my knee for about 3 days. I had an ice bag on the knee as well as my shin.
PT was a good session this morning. My flexion was an easy 93, which is an increase from 88 that it was on Friday. The leg is lifting easier and getting stronger which I am happy about. I am still under orders to use the walker around the apartment because of the yucky spells I was having, but I am slacking a bit on that. At some point it became more cumbersome than helpful and it is really difficult to get things from the kitchen to my command center in the living room!

Signing off for the night, hope all my friends sleep well, or have slept well and are starting a great day.

Love and hugs to all:friends: :flwrysmile:

So glad to have popped in and read all the pain med comments. It probably is normal to feel as grotto as I do! You all seem to be doing great and that's so good for me, three days out, to read.
I'm not at the PT stuff yet - but I'm learning from you all.
Best wishes Shellbelle.

Good Morning Shelly,
Wonderful report from your OS ! I hope you get your BP straightened out.
Maybe they will take you off some of your meds :) The symptoms you are describing are exactly
how I felt doing Percocet (hot sweaty head & dizzy) maybe all opiates do that :rolleyes: My first knee surgery
they had me at the top of the stairs on cruches, Dizzy as could be. :beg:I remember the walls moving
& being so weak. But, I made it. Still remember that from 11yrs. ago :thud:
Have a wonderful day, :SUNsmile:
Diana :flwrysmile:

Hi Shelly, how are you today, read that you have reduced your meds, hope your finding that works better for you:ok:and that horrid feeling is gone. Today I'm feeling a little sick in the stomach with a few pains i think it must be the tablets, not agreeing with me, and I just feel I need to sleep.
We have terrible weather here this week, so getting out is not possible, I still haven't tried to get in the car, just don't think I could manage getting out.
All the best from Tassie
Hugs Lee:friends:

How's it going Shelly? I hope the sickness is passing - it's nasty. It sounds like you are doing really well at PT! :SUNsmile:

Hi Shelly - just caught up with your thread, and see you're still dealing with the dizzy spells when you're up and around. Did I read correctly that you are still taking BP lowering medication? I am not sure, but if you are, that would be my first step, to get doctor to let you stop those, it sounds counterproductive at this point.

But otherwise, you are doing a great job with recovery, as I knew you would! :egypdance: You are taking it nice and easy, great flexion and extension, really great job all around!!

I just got out of the shower and cleaning up a bit around the house. In between, I still go back to my bed, never did sleep in my recliner, it stands in my bedroom. mostly for visitors to sit in, but I think I might start using it more in the daytime, to elevate legs, with pillows and laying all the way back. My legs are not as swollen right now, thanks to Jennifer, and every day the feel a little better. She still hasn't measured, wants to do tomorrow, but I feel like I'm at least at 90 right now, perhaps a bit beyond. Can sit at edge of bed and push knees forward with ease, my bed is just the right height to do this. Most of my chairs are too low, like my rocker, to try and do this.

Wishing you a great day, and look forward to hearing all about your continued recovery!!

Big hugs , dear friend... :friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member